A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about the movie's violence. How disturbing is it? Does it get its point across? Would the movie have the same impact without the violence?
- Were you familiar with Nelson Mandela before seeing this movie? What did you learn? Were you inspired to learn more?
Can you imagine being separated from your loved ones for so long? How did this separation affect Mandela's relationships? What would you do?
- In theaters: November 29, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: March 18, 2014
- Cast: Idris Elba, Naomie Harris, Tony Kgoroge
- Director: Justin Chadwick
- Studio: Weinstein Co.
- Genre: Drama
- Topics: Great Boy Role Models, History
- Run time: 139 minutes
- MPAA rating: PG-13
- MPAA explanation: some intense sequences of violence and disturbing images, sexual content and brief strong language
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.