Kid reviews for Mirai

Sweet, magical family adventure is best for older kids.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySJBailey780 November 30, 2018

Mirai is the next incredible film by legendary director Mamoru Hosada!

Mirai is a great anime by director Mamoru Hosada, who also directed such films as Wolf Children, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Summer Wars and The Boy and the Beast. Mirai is an anime about a four year old boy who gets a newborn little sister and is upset that his parents are giving her more attention than him so he embarks on a journey through space and time meeting his sister in the future and his mother in the past, is this all really happening or is it just in his imagination? That's really up to you honestly. Some American parents may be surprised by some Japanese customs (some of the people I watched it with were) like the whole family taking a bath together, its completely normal and not sexual. Really anybody can watch this movie but the reason I rated it 6 and up is because of some of the heavier stuff in the film. It also might be to confusing for younger audience members. Mirai is an incredible movie with some of the best animation of the past couple of years and I defiantly recommend that you watch it! My only complaint with the movie is that (much like other anime there) there is to much exposition and the weird choice to have the screen cut to black at the end of most scenes. Besides those things I loved this movie and as a massive film fan that has been mostly disappointed in this years films, I'm so happy to say that Mirai is great!

Teen, 17 years old Written bywizardortitan December 14, 2018

Largely innocent film with a few mild scares.

Mamoru Hosada's latest film is an engaging story about family from the perspective of a young child, with some fantasy elements and breathtaking/experimental animation. The only issues of concern for very young children would be a bit of mild threat and one brief scene with a scary face suddenly appearing that made me jump. However, none of these moments go on for very long or exceed very mild in impact, and the overall themes of the film are very suitable for children and families.
Kid, 11 years old June 1, 2020

So Cute!

Cute story. Was hesitant at first but it is an amazing movie that should be noticed. It talks about the difficulties in raising children. Fun for all.

Kid, 9 years old May 18, 2020

Teen, 13 years old Written bySnazzcat February 8, 2020

Teen, 16 years old Written byCooltiger37 September 9, 2019

Overrated anime has beautiful animation, little else

While the animation was simply beautiful, "Mirai" has a number of extremely noticeable flaws that really prevent it from being as good as it first appears to be, especially gaping plot holes (if the past, present, and/or future versions of people really can't exist at the same time like the titular character says, why is Kun literally talking with what is later revealed to be his teenage self in one scene?), a complete lack of plot structure, and an extremely bratty main character who is inexplicably voiced by an adult woman in the original Japanese dub. Also, for some stupid reason, the film decides to get really "dark" towards the end with a completely pointless jumpscare (some woman who looks like his mom is actually a demon or something...why?) and an extremely creepy train to "Lonely Land"-whatever the heck that is-(this scene is so over-the-top bizarre and nonsensical, it's almost more funny than scary, but still), shutting off the very young audience it might have appealed to otherwise. Why is this the case? Who knows.

Granted, I guess there are some positive messages about "loving your family" or something like that, but even those aren't enough to redeem this film, leaving it best suited for hardcore anime fans or those too bored to care what they put on, just as long as it looks pretty enough. My MPAA rating: PG for some scary moments/images and thematic elements.