All parent member reviews for My Babysitter's a Vampire

Parent Written byEJM1701D June 30, 2011

A Disturbing TV Trend

I am glad that I found this forum. I am deeply disappointed in the latest Disney Channel- promoted movie/series "My Babysitter's a Vampire". It seems that this network has joined others (including it's sister-network ABC "Family") in promoting gratuitous violence, sexuality, narcissism and otherwise occult themes. As the parent of a seven year old son, I have been pleased with Disney Junior (formally Playhouse Disney) and , especially "Phineas and Ferb"...a well-written, positive show. I have even enjoyed other Disney programs including "Good Luck Charlie" and the "Suite-Life" series...again with endearing characters and positive but funny story lines. Until recently, even the "Wizards" series has been light fun. However, Disney has crossed the line with this latest vampire installment. After my son fell asleep last night, I watched one full episode and was appalled at what I saw. It seems it's main female character was having a hard time resisting raiding the blood-mobile that was visiting the school for a quick meal. Her friend was not as inhibited and encouraged less restraint while sipping a Starbucks-style cup full of human blood (you could even see the red on her teeth). Meanwhile, the stereo-typical teen boys in the show were plotting how close they could get their raging hormones next to the vamping cheer-leaders. This along with the "fang-gnashing" violence, glorifying of bad and selfish behavior and promotion of the occult (they were even raising animals from the dead) this show can be called nothing short of evil. None of these themes should ever be treated lightly with such narcissism and with such disregard for morality believing this behavior to be cool and okay. I am no prude and have watched my share of questionable programming. However, even Christians like me realize that you don't have to be a Christian to see that this show is just plan evil. ADVICE: PARENTS AVOID LETTING YOUR CHILDREN (UNDER 16) WATCH THIS PROGRAM AT ALL COSTS. DISNEY: Stick to Mickey Mouse and talking Toy Stories...Leave this Vampire trend in the garbage where it belongs.
Parent Written byJust_Amanda July 1, 2011

Absolutely worse thing I have ever seen on Disney! Parents, beware!

This is by far the absolute worst thing I have ever seen Disney put out. This is a very disturbing movie/series that Disney advertises all day long - when younger kids are watching TV. My 9-year-old daughter has asked to watch this. I tuned in to check out the content and was very disappointed to see very beautiful blond teenage "vampires" dressed as "nurses" who had fooled local schools into believing they were working for a blood bank. Their hair, makeup, and dress made them appear much older than teenagers. If this is the Disney trend, then no thanks.
Adult Written byIlovetwiligjt June 30, 2011

Not your usual disney channel series, but c'mon parents, admit that your kids are growing up.

I don't understand how parents are all worried about stuff like language. I mean, kids age 8 use words like s''t in their everyday life! And disney channel is griwing up along with them, sure it has violence, sure theres some kissing and hickeys, but cmon, it wont stay in your kids minds forever, so give it a chance, and Im sure you will love it, aside from a few scenes, which are played to entertain older people! Disney channel is supposed to be for the whole family, why not make older people laugh?
Parent Written byMy .02 June 23, 2011

Disney what were you thinking !?

Parents beware, this movie is not the usual Disney fare. It is not the funny parody you might like to believe. Besides the obvious violence the underlying evil is disturbing. Can't believe they are making this a series. I don't let my 10 year old watch the original "Twilight "/ "Eclipse" movies because of their ratings (PG-13); but this movie/ series is no better for anyone under the age of 13.
Parent Written bylmama June 30, 2011

Disturbing Disney Trend

My Babysitter's a Vampire is a ploy made by Disney to seduce children into a violent and evil lifestyle. Just like many of the other Disney channel shows, Wizards, Hannah, etc.., it depicts rude, selfish, sexual and violent behavior as being cool. Parents in these shows are either clueless or not seen in these shows while the kids are acting immorally. Parents need to monitor what their children watch and decide which shows are appropriate to watch. Use your moral compass as a guide to help decide which shows you want your children to watch, and help your children decide what is appropriate as well. The shows these days, not just disney, are not the quality shows that I grew up with, and I find it harder and harder to find a good show for my children to watch. My children are 8 and 11 and I know that they want to watch what their friends are watching, but I have to make decisions on their best interest, no Disney.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written bymomfisch5 June 29, 2011

Definitely NOT Disney Quality.

I am very disappointed that Disney allowed this movie and then series. Usually, I can be confident that the content on Disney will be appropriate for my children. I am uncomfortable with this program because of the references to eating people, their blood and the sexual innuendos. Disney did not need to stoop into the vampire craze this way. I have been a Disney fan my whole life and this is seriously disappointing for me - I have told my children they are not to watch it.
Parent Written bysassun July 13, 2011

Strange amounts of Anger

Wow - surprised by how vehement the hatred for this show has been - and can't stop laughing at the idea that Disney are deliberately 'seducing' children to the Vampire trend. The show is well written, with the twilight and pulp vampire parodies particularly funny. the violence is almost entirely suggested, with very little on screen to threaten anyone over 12. The language is fairly clean, with one or two very moderate usages of words such as 'butt'. The one downside is the truly ridiculous product placement, at times looking like a plot devised by one of the orange adverts! Ignore most of the hatred, this is a great introduction to a genre populated with rubbish for kids - and nowhere near as terrifying or gory as Bram stokers version, which i remember studying at school when i was 13.
Parent Written byfactual July 20, 2011

fact

i let my daughter and seven sons watch this show alone because it has nothing mean in it but fighting which is still ok because i tell them its like what super people do.I enjoy it as well and so do all my friends kids.
Adult Written byDanniAckles July 29, 2011

Great, fun show

I think that this show is really great for kids. People have always been fascinated with Vampires and magic. Kids love the fantasy element, they like seeing the impossible; it promotes a good imagination and is great fun. Until this show I have seen very few vampire movies/shows that were suitable for children. The closest to kid-friendly I've seen is The Vampire Diaries (good show but NOT for kids under 12) and it has lots of violence and sex. It is so wonderful that there is finally a show about vampires that kids can watch. There isn't blood being slung everywhere or half naked actors or foul language. It's just a positive happy show. Kids are always going to love fantasy, and they'll get it any way that they can, so it's nice they'll have this show to enjoy now.
Parent Written byAnnaAnna July 14, 2011

The show is a comedy

This show is fine, whenever I babysit, the kid loves to see it, he's 11 and never misses an episode. Honestly, the show's a comedy, and the movie MIGHT scare kids that are scared of vampires, other than that, it's actually quite humorous. And, if you're worried about messages that the show sends, it's mostly just about three friends and a girl who's a vampire. Your kids will mostly just see it as entertainment. I think it's a GREAT show, and people that don't want their children to watch it, should just switch to something else, infact, with all the childhod obesity, and the obesity epidemic, you should be more scared of McDonald commercials, they're all over the children's channels (Nick and Cartoon Network).
Parent Written bykmitk July 18, 2011

Disney headed in the wrong direction

Very disappointed. I was shocked at the preview of this show, but I watched an episode to see how it was. This did not look like a Disney Channel show at all! I don't see why they aired this. Disney doesn't have to be like every other network out there. They are supposed to be DIFFERENT......and SAFE for kids. As for us parents being "overprotective", more parents should be. We care about our kids & they don't need to see these images at such a young age. I shouldn't have to block Disney shows from my children. That's crazy. I don't allow my kids to watch this show, but I still have to beware of the previews of it when other shows are on. If they were going to put a show on like this, they should've at least put it on DisneyXD.... My 5 and 7 yr olds don't watch that channel. Of course, if there's any question about it, maybe it's a good idea not to air it at all.
Adult Written byxxpurplepetals July 17, 2011

My Babysitter's a Vampire, just a show.

Parent's, why are you over reacting? This show brings out role models and lessons. Also, why are you saying there's sexual activity? There's only hug's, kisses on the cheek, and longing gazes. In my personal opinion, the movie was O.K...it could've been better. But, the show is genuinely funny and entertaining. I'll tell you what's a violent and sexual show, Buffy The Vampire Slayer! But, Buffy The Vampire Slayer is still a fantastic, amazingly show! I still watch it even though I'm only 12. Anyways, adults, actually watch the show before judging. Thank- you.
Parent Written bymama3kiddos July 6, 2011

Horrible movie/series

Don't waste your time with this series/movie. Violent and crude . . . stealing peoples souls . . . really? Blood, weapons . . . on Disney? I don't mind the "silly" humor Disney usually portrays. I even forgive their constant theme of making parents and teachers look and behave stupid. Heck . . . sometimes I find myself laughing . . . but there is nothing about My Babysitter's a Vampire that is remotely appropriate for my three children or their friends. Not going to be on in my household. Hope Disney takes it off the air.
Parent Written bysahm2 June 29, 2011

This is NOT the Disney channel that I grew up with!

I wondered how this show got through our high filter settings...we have our TV locks set to block any show PG-13. Well, this is the only show on the Disney channel that is rated NR. Pretty tricky. Thanks to this site I showed her that this show is best for teenagers, not 8 year olds. She is a compliant child otherwise I would have to block the whole Disney channel. Still considering it...
Parent Written byJLMOM July 19, 2011

Good show for the family

Many of the shows on disney are aimed at children under 10. This is one of the few shows that I can watch with my 13 yr old. It is rated TV PG and is on Disney, so you know there is not going to be anything really questionable on the show.Disney channel wasn't created just for little kids, its for big kids too. If you feel it isn't right for your child, turn off the TV or change the channel.
Parent Written byeagleeye58 August 27, 2011

Not Disney!

Saw My Kid Watching and Heard a**.... Couldn't believe my ears, then I asked "Is This a Disney Show?" When He said Yes I Was Shocked. Too Old For Disney Channel.
Parent Written bybetterparent thanu November 13, 2011

amazing

let kids watch it let them have dont be cridtical
Parent Written byjesus.rocks77 December 28, 2011

Clean, Good Kids' Movie

I particularly enjoyed the movie. It was quite a bit cheesy, but kids 10-13 should enjoy it, and teens my age and up... Well, it depends on the person (I'm 14, by the way). Language: None. There was some name-calling and some impolite things,like, dork, stupid, shut up, etc... Sex: A couple of background kisses at a "senior vampire party," and 2 implied make-outs between a human and a vampire. Drug and Alcohol: None. One girl made one comment, "Besides, no one here is even drinking." To which another girl replied, "Not yet..." Though the second WAS referring to it as a vampire-drink theme, and the first was speaking about alcohol. Violence: Your typical cheesy violence, not very literal. You see a few vampires smoking from UV burns and water burns, and you see no blood at all in the movie. Overall, it was very clean, and something kids should enjoy. :)
Parent Written byElement1234 November 23, 2011

Good series.

As soon as I came to this site I knew parents here are going to post how much they hate the show. I as a parent, approve it on Disney Channel. A lot of people are saying it's to "scary, violent" etc.. Really? No. It is just suited for older kids, 12 and up. Disney Channel isn't just about the shows for little 8 year olds. It is a channel made for famillies, youngest ones and the oldest ones. I have 3 children. One is 6 years and he usually watches Disney Junior. Yes, if you want totally safe cartoons for your young ones go there and at least let them watch Shake It Up which is for kids that age. Then I have a girl of age 9 and she watches Shake It Up, Hannah Montana, Wizards. And I have a 15 year old who watches this series. See, this channel is for everyone, so the show shouldn't be put off just because of your 7 year olds. It is for famillies, for people all age. At my house every kid likes they're shows, but we always watch Good Luck Charlie together. Other than that, the story is good, acting is also suprisingly good and effects too. It is a high quality series.
Adult Written bydobetterforourkids September 1, 2011

glorifying evil and calling it good television... on a kid's channel? DISGUSTING!!

Teaching witchcraft to children and heralding this as acceptable.... are u serious? Just watched my first and last episode (three cheers for evil) w/my grandaughter and I'm sick! Incantations, pentagrams,stealing the souls of children; anyone who can justify this show on a "kids" channel...on any channel... is seriously irresponsible to the next generation! The seeds of shows like this will... ARE... sowing seeds of destruction that cannot ever bear good fruit! God help us all and God help our children! The spirituality of our children is our most precious resource and should not be compromised by such reckless "entertainment"