Parent reviews for My Spy

Funny but formulaic action comedy has violence, language.

Adult Written byMOMMMMY June 30, 2020

BEWARE - Cute but THAT LANGUAGE though...

WHY WHY WHY do they keep making KIDS movies with such bad language. The thing is, those words serve NO PURPOSE. If you're making a movie for adults, then expletives may be appropriate in certain situations. But this movie is clearly a kids movie (not like say, Star Wars, which was made for adults, though kids enjoyed it). The language just doesn't make sense. In fact, it distracts from what would otherwise be a cute-ish movie.

I'm not overly sensitive. However, I do try to be a good parent, which includes shielding my son from things he's not ready for. This movie had (what my 9-year old called) "the S-word", "the B-word", the "D-word", and the "A-word". I'm pretty sure I even heard the "F-word" in a song at the end of the movie. Other words like "hell" and "d**k" (said by a child who called an adult one) were thrown about, too. Like, a lot! I get a random "minor" cuss words like those every now and then, especially in a PG-13 movie. But I feel the sheer amount of cursing in My Spy is irresponsible, unnecessary, and even, unoriginal. *RATING - 0 STARS FOR THAT*

On another note, I was upset by the gay man stereotype portrayed in the movie. We're advocates everyone being represented in media, but totally against promoting false stereotypes. BUT that issue is resolved at the end of the movie. THANK GOD. I actually ended up really liking how they handled that. *RATING - 1 STAR FOR THAT*

Acting is not Oscar-worthy but entertaining, especially by the supporting characters. And we loved the multicultural cast. *RATING - 1 STAR FOR THAT*

TOTAL RATING - 2 stars (with the caveat that, per the rating, this is totally inappropriate for most kids under 13... even tough anyone OVER 13 will find this kids movie this silly.) So, who is this for?????

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byElle10 June 28, 2020

Cringe-worthy

There is no rule that says we have to watch all the pap streaming on Amazon and Netflix, even if movie theaters are now a distant memory. Content is being churned out without much regard for quality, especially “family” movies and shows. ”My Spy” is part of that steady stream. The movie was riddled with gratuitous language and violence, and the kid’s lines were way too adult to be coming from a 9-year-old, even a precocious one. In one scene, a man was stabbed and killed, (didn’t see that coming). Had enough, stopped it right there, and vowed to do better. Don’t waste your time!

Adult Written bytheshapetalks June 27, 2020

i really enjoyed it!

this movie is really good and is a great watch for the family. there is mild action, but the story is heartwarming. yes, it is not a new idea, but it is really well put together with all the characters. the are mild swear words and some sex jokes. but most children would get them because they are not that bad.

Adult Written byMovieFan20 June 27, 2020

Not a kids movie

As far as the story goes, I suppose it is meant to be the traditional kid- couples- with- epic- strong- man- who- then- turns- softee. In my opinion this iteration fails at being either comedic or heart warming. It's neither a grown up movie nor a kids movie which it was heavily advertised as (playing before kids movies in theaters). It is styled in the form of grown up comedies, with the cursing and all, albeit with the "softer" curses. The movie is too slow for the type of movie it is. Loaded with sponsor products, perhaps due to a lack of actual interest from other parties? I don't know, it just is not theater material; should have been straight- to- demand from the beginning.

Adult Written byfalraie June 26, 2020

not for younger viewers

it's sad that the main character who's a child is acting like an adult even swears

Adult Written byMamaoso June 28, 2020

The language not age appropriate

I was disappointed at the language. I don't understand why a kid movie has the B word and MF word among others. If it weren't for the language I would have given it a great review.

Adult Written byOtterfish June 27, 2020

Not a cute kids movie - Violence

This movie is NOT as advertised in the trailer. It is not a cute comedy like “Playing With Fire”. It has an evil uncle, multiple bad guys, a stabbing and the child in danger. It was too traumatic for my 12 year old daughter. It was too much violence and action (car chase, machine guns, up close stabbing, hand grenades and lots of guns.) All the cute gags are in the trailer and the movie is a cross between the cute “Playing With Fire” and an action film like “Bourne Identity”. Plenty of cuss words too.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byDEWC June 27, 2020

So fun!!

Loved this family fri film. Good laughs great dialogue- smart (the girl) protagonist and DB is delightful in this film.
Adult Written byFiona O. January 15, 2020

A kids and adults movie meshed together.

Most of this movie is ok and enjoyable to be watched by anyone and has a lovely ending, but has very violent action at the beginning and end mostly and leaves you in suspense for if the little girl is going to be killed violently. I am usually very cautious about what I let my kids watch aged youngest 5 - 11 and only let them watch PG if I have looked here or seen it first, but on this very occasion I only read the preview and no commonsense. Most of the movie is G movie, but has a M start and finish with violence and dispersed with swearing (many different words) that is emphasised, so although I enjoyed it I was covering my kids eyes and ears for certain parts and freaking out that I hadn't checked further. The swearing didn't need to be there to be a good movie. The main actor is also kicked in the private parts and it refers to this later on too. Due to the violence and swearing I put it at 14+, but otherwise it is a nice family movie for 75% of it.

Adult Written byKizziepoo July 9, 2020

THE LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE & JUST OVERALL INAPPROPRIATE

Find something else as a family friendly movie. PERIOD.

Adult Written byKTS29 July 6, 2020

Awful language

This movie could be really enjoyable for older kids, especially since there aren’t many choices for the tween age group, however the language makes this inappropriate. There is no need to add the language in, it doesn’t nothing to add to the content. I was very disappointed in what could have been a great family movie. We turned it off about 45 minutes in.

Adult Written byIntegritymomma July 2, 2020

Junk

We watched this thinking it was a family movie. It is not. It’s terrible. Terrible.

Adult Written byShiny11 July 2, 2020

Fun but Language warning

This was a cute movie, predictable fish out of water, big guy learns to be sweet from a cute kid. But some funny bits and characters. There is quite a bit of bad language, I was surprised by it. I didn't realize it was PG-13 when we watched it!! So fair warning, it's in the dialogue, music and even the children.
Violence and some intense danger for the child might have younger kids nervous. Lots of killing, shooting and blowing up people (and a flying severed head).

Adult Written byNaymar June 30, 2020

Extremely bad language. Not appropriate for children.

This is definitely not a family movie. Bad language the entire movie from the “9 year old” and all the actors. They also use Jesus name as a profanity. A lot of A** word, b**ch, d***k, balls, gay, lesbian, prostitute and the list goes on...

Adult Written bywweisOK320 June 27, 2020
the best movie i have seen in a while its so good just tell your kids not to curse and its fine. also at the end something bad happens to the antagonist

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byNcstatekaren February 26, 2020

What you would expect

This is typical of this genre. Big mean guy, cute sassy street smsrt girl. You get the idea. It is PG13 amd it earns that rating. Lots of language that might not be appropriate for younger viewers.