Kid reviews for My Spy

Funny but formulaic action comedy has violence, language.

Kid, 6 years old June 22, 2020

very good movie but there is tonnes of languege and it has alot of violence

i watched this at 8 by my one and i was suprissed how much languege there was.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMar mbl July 8, 2020

Teen, 14 years old Written byTHE LONE WANDERER July 5, 2020

why

this movie is terrible the kid cusses way to much and it doesnt make sense at least to me

Teen, 13 years old Written byOgSparkelz July 5, 2020

A Great Family Movie!

My Spy is an absolutely fantastic movie! I don’t believe that common senses rating of three stars was very fair....I found the movie to be very funny and didn’t really cross the border on anything except possibly language. So I am going to do my own eating of each subject below -

MESSAGES AND ROLE MODELS- 4/10
If you really think about it the movie has some good messages but when I watched the movie I don’t pay attention to that anyways but if you are worried about the messages just know that it sends no ‘harmful or bad messages’ AS FOR ROLE MODELS, in the story there are heroes and villains like most movies so the heroes can be seen as role models and the little girl in the movie is kind and thoughtful and can send ‘girl power messages’.

VIOLENCE - 5/10
Now this movie is a spy movie so there is some violence. There is a scene in the beginning where a few men get shot, thrown around, and fallen from a bit of a hight, the lead spy man also has a case of weapons that get shot around, there is also a throwing knife that gets thrown in a mans leg (no blood the man shows no pain) near the end there is a fight scene in witch a gun gets shot and people a man does get hit with a hard box knocking him to the ground, SPOILER- The main families house gets broken into and there the fight breaks out, a girl gets kidnapped by her uncle, the girl gets stuck in a plane that is falling off the edge of a cliff, they are safe, they walk away from the fight with an explosion in a slo-mo walk away, the bad guy falls of off the cliff with the plane and the girl says something like ‘So long d*ck’- SPOILER OVER, there is nothing too graphic inthis film, the film can be suspenseful in two scenes but overall It is lighthearted fun.

SEX- 2.5/10
The movie is nothing too sexual. The main man goes on a date with the main little girls mom, these are nothing too sexual and are both clean and fun. When they go on a date, the man wears a shirt that is kinda tight because he is so hulking and big that you can see the curves on his muscle this is not in a sexual manner. The girls family lives in an apartment and their neighbors are gay and I believe are married (not positive) I know this can be a concerning topic to some families, when asked for the neighbors to go skating the man asks if the mom is asking because they are gay (said in a comical manner) the couple invites the spy man into their home to give him a makeover and when the little girl is asked what happened to him she says he got ‘queer eyed by the neighbors’. The main man says that when he was stuck out in the desert for a mission, he had to drink his pee, this is not sexual and is more used for a gag. There is barely anything sexual in the movie.

LANGUAGE- 6/10
This is the only topic I think could be concerning for some families. There is a bit of language in this movie, I personally didn’t think that it was excessive but it honestly depends on the kid or the kids age. Of what I remember -the S word was said, the H word, the F word was mouthed by a woman but it was silent and cut off half way and you couldn’t really tell what she said, WTF?? Was typed after the main guy told a very strange story that no one wanted to know but it was VERY comical and had my family dying of laughter, the D word (for this I mean D*ck) was said by the little girl and said again by the man, when dancing on a date, the main guy and the little girls mom dances to Cardi B’s song ‘Like it’ the part of the song plays that says the S word, the B word, possibly the N word but they were talking at that part and I couldn’t tell if they bleeped it out or not and I pick up this stuff very quickly and I don’t think you will either. So the language can be a little much depending on who is watching the movie.

CONSUMERISM- 0/10
I didn’t pick up on any consumerism other than a man eating Doritos and playing songs that could help make people want to buy or listen to those but I don’t think this has any consumerism at all.

DRINKING/SMOKING/ETC- 0.5/10
This movie doesn’t have much of any of this at all, one guy is smoking a cigarette and looks like he doesn’t make the best decisions but that was honestly it....

ALL IN ALL- 10/10
All in all I think this is a great family movie for many ages, I chose to put it at 10+ because that age most kids hear all of the language anyways and can handle it tho I believe it is appropriate for most ages it all depends on the child and what the parents want them seeing and listening to, I HIGHLY recommend to all! :D

Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2020

GOOD

Teen, 17 years old Written byAudrey Serama June 29, 2020

Not appropriate for target audience

This movie seems to be made for families with kids ages 8-11, but the violence and swearing is incredibly too much. Swearing seems to be similar to Marvel movies.
There is a gay couple shown, and is seen in a relatively healthy, normal light.
Nothing too gory, but there are two iffy instances. One in which a man is comically stabbed in the leg, and one where a mans head is seen flying, detached and in fire. This was also comically done, but potentially very disturbing for younger audiences. I wouldn’t recommend for anyone under the age of 14.

Kid, 10 years old June 28, 2020

Very violent for a PG movie

This movie is VIOLENT. It is not a PG rated movie! It's more like M. My Spy starts as any spy movie. Explosions, guns, yada yada.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySohlsurfer June 28, 2020

Really good!

It’s a super good movie but gets kind of boring in some parts. Some parts may be a little intense for some kids especially at the end. But overall great movie!

Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2020

I have been wanting to see this movie for SOOO long!!! (It was worth it)

In my opinion this is one one the BEST spy movies because there is not to much action and just the right amount of funny. They do curse mildly the do say sht a couple of times and dic and He11 and a couple of other words but that is the worst. There is a little bit of gore but isnt that what you sign up for if your letting your kid see a PG13 movie? People do get shot at and some people die but then again it is a spy movie. There is a little bit of kissing but only like 1 at the end. All of the actors are REALLY good my faviroite is Ken Jeong (the direcor of the CIA in the moive). All in all this was a GREAT movie probably not the most approiate for little 5 year olds and that stuff but over all ONE OF THE BEST SPY MOVIES IN HISTORY!! Watch out James Bond!! xD

Kid, 9 years old June 27, 2020

This movie has crossed the line

This is a great movie to watch, but it has way too much language. I would recommend being at least 11 to see this film.

Teen, 14 years old Written byClorox bleach June 27, 2020

Some action

Funny action comedy

Kid, 12 years old June 27, 2020

This...

This is so so good! I watched it last night and I absolutely loved it! The only thing I didn't like was that there were some very intense scenes at the end (at least for me) and personally I don't like my heart racing for no reason but it's an otherwise great movie! There is some language and shooting so if you aren't ok with having your kids see a movie with a moderate amount of language and quite a bit of gun violence then I don't recommend this. I hope this helps!

Teen, 13 years old Written byiloverating25 June 26, 2020

Some Swearing but not bad

yes there is swearing but that’s what happens in middle school and i think 11 and up is fine! Me and my dad loved the movie super funny!

Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2020

Awesome movie to much swearing

I love this movie! But... there were way to many swear words. I thought it was a kids movie my sister and I could watch but it was not. One of the main characters uses swear words in front of kids and in the end the kid main character who is nine uses one after hearing her role model doing it so much. But it’s a great movie if you don’t mind swearing!

Teen, 14 years old Written byLoranikas303 June 26, 2020

My Spy

It kinda looks like a kids movie just like Alita: Battle Angel but it is PG-13. I thought this was a kids when I watched trailer and I heard a mom says “damn, she's great!”. Well, parents saying cuss words is unnecessary and I felt like this movie has unnecessary language. I agree with its PG-13 rating. It has strong language like "s**t," "d**k," "holy h*ll," "ass," "b*tch," "Jesus Christ," "WTF" (in text), "what the h*ll," "damn," "b*lls," and "p*ss me off." A Cardi B song on the soundtrack includes "b*tch," "b*tches," and "s**t" several times. Why does Bardi there? She's just like Nicki Minaj and maybe the creator is a fan of her. Though these words are not appropriate for Christians. It swear like Marvel movies. A girl who is the female lead and she is 9 years old. She is one of the child lead characters in mature movies along with Alita. Some role models are medium. Most of this movie is okay and has a okay ending, but has very violent action at the beginning and end mostly and leaves you in suspense for if the little girl is going to be killed violently. Most of the movie is G movie, but has a M start and finish with violence and dispersed with swearing (many different words) that is emphasized. The swearing didn't need to be there to be a good movie. I even marked sex because the main actor is also kicked in the private parts and it refers to this later on too. Due to the violence and swearing I put it at 14+, but otherwise it is a movie for 75% of it. I even put 3 stars because I said before and it's an underrated new movie.
49% of Rotten Tomatoes
46% Metacritic
6.2% IMDb
Box office: $4.9 million
Budget: 18 million USD

Teen, 16 years old Written byJiminyBillyBob23 June 25, 2020

PG-13

Brilliant! Should watch but mind out for the language and mild violence!

Kid, 7 years old April 7, 2020

Now I actually saw this movie

There are all the bad words in hystery exsept the r word yea there are some Fortnite dances here and there so I'm like close to 9 years old so only 8+ people should watch this movie and there's some guns and A LOT OF ACTION

Kid, 11 years old March 8, 2020
Teen, 13 years old Written bymurdermystery January 9, 2020

Not the Worst

MY SPY has a really good story and contains stabbings (without blood), shooting and action violence. Parents should also be warned about the coarse language.

Kid, 10 years old December 10, 2019