Parent reviews for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Talented cast can't save tired, action-heavy franchise.

Adult Written byJustine A. May 26, 2017

Thoroughly entertaining. Did not disappoint. You should go!

This movie was exciting and entertaining from beginning to end. It had action, suspense, good humour, romance, thrills, and fantastic special effects. I absolutely loved it.
Adult Written byevie_pevensie May 26, 2017

More laughs than the rest

While I absolutely loved this new addition to the Pirates of the Caribbean series, it wasn't my absolute favorite but close. I didn't think it was tired or getting old at all, but that could just be me. Jack Sparrow was the highlight once again, making a brilliant comeback, a little older and worse for wear, but still the same old drunk lovable Jack. Young Henry Turner was a spunky young version of his father, but I can't say I liked Karina very much. She annoyed me. The cameos of Will and Elizabeth warmed my heart (the feelssss). As for innuendos, there were a lot but that's typical of a PotC film. The "whore"ologist confusion was quite hilarious. The new villain was impressive, but a bit confusing. This film definitely had more comedic elements to it, and I laughed so hard I cried at a few scenes. I loved the character development of a few new (and old) characters though, and Barbossa's plot twist will cause you to see him in a totally new light. This was a fun, exciting film that I would see again. I won't ever complain about a Pirates movie, they're like one big ride you'll never forget.

Adult Written byStevie111 May 26, 2017

Pirates 5 is a fun adventure and worthy sequel

I love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and Dead Men Tell No Tales is no different. I enjoyed the film and found it very entertaining. The effects are decent, especially seeing it in 3D. I don't think it's my favorite of the five, but it is still quite good. The violence is on par with previous films, lots of slashing with swords, ghost shark attacks, canons and guns. There is a pretty high body count, though there is hardly any blood. If you've seen the others, you know what to expect. This almost seemed a bit milder to me. There is some suggestive/crude humor present, but it is never very detailed. I wouldn't say this is a good younger kids movie, but older kids and teens should be fine and enjoy it. I would definitely recommend it, especially to fans of the other films.

Adult Written byNicole I. May 27, 2017

Preview looks better than the movie

My hubby and I were thinking about taking our kids (3yo and 8yo)to watch a movie. We saw that Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men tell no Tales was going to be on, but were unsure if the movie would be appropriate for kids. So, I decided to do some research on this website. After reading some of the reviews such as: "There's a witch covered in scars" or the skeletons and the stabbing in the chest" we kind of had our doubts but decided to watch it. I can honestly say that this was one of the lamest movies on earth. My daughter was bored up until she saw the cute little monkey at the end. My 8yo. liked it. The "scary" witch wasn't scary at all and she was covered in tattoos, not scars. As for the stabbing scenes, all you can see is the stabbing motion but it's not graphic at all( you don't see blood etc). It was NOTHING like some people on here described.
Parent Written byMeghan V. May 29, 2017

Very entertaining!

It was more like the first two movies and I appreciated that. There was tons of action and a good story line with all that you'd expect from the Pirates franchise. The only thing I didn't love was the amount of drinking Jack did. Other than that both me and my kids loved it.

Adult Written bySorley K. May 28, 2017

Adult Written byCarl P. May 27, 2017
Adult Written bySnow L. May 28, 2017

keep them comeing and i'll keep coming

I loved the movie and all but someone please explain to me how a baby born in what was seemingly jack and hecter's "go ol days" ? or even later around stranger tides either way could be about the same age as henry turner? she'd be older than will and lizzie maybe or their age or like 5 - 10 yrs younger than henry the way I figure but I enjoyed the rest and that bank fiasco was hilarious I went straight to the music store and picked up the soundtrack and will be waiting for the dvd didn't really get the after credit scene though I figured it might have been hector I mean after all there's no reason to supposed he actually died after running Salazar through though I'm not sure what was on the floor and it was a nice though brief comrodery when jack threw him the sword still wish that j Norrington would be brought back maybe the next film (beyond Jack's horizon) as he says at the end of the film will be a journey to find both james and hector and bring them back into the fold the uncle jack ( paul McCartney) was lame and could have been passed I knew he was in it but didn't even recognize him anyway no Teague but I cant say I missed him but someday jack will have to succeed his father as the codekeeper though there will likely be some bretheren opposition to that wound make a good movie they need less unateral and more the ensence of pirarting in these films too. overall it was a great film and i'd watch it again and again far better than stranger tides ( only 1 I waited for the dvd) and i'm happy jack got his ship back though I'm stunned that hector was the one to restore her id have though jack would have found some wild means to free the pearl in the midst of everything else cant wait for the rumored number 6
Parent Written byRick J. May 27, 2017

Best pirate movie savvy

I went to see this movie with mix ideas...But my wife and I love it took the kids and it was action packed the best of all the pirate movies he made..but you have to see the prior ones to understand this one.!!!!! Stay for the post credits there's more!!!!

Adult Written bydarthsitkur May 29, 2017

if you're a fan of the series, you'll have a great time :)

Pirates 5 was a ton of fun, it was action filled and hilarious as per usual :) lol, definitely gonna add it to my blu-ray collection later on
Adult Written byPsyrecx X May 29, 2017

Underrated by far

Most of the reviews of this film are by the same people who would call Guardians of the Galaxy 2 an excellent movie. You cannot trust critics now, not that you ever could in the past. Most of the people reviewing this film aren't actually reviewing the movie it's self, but instead are heavily basing it on the previous ones failures. That's why the same people who call this movie a bad one, would call GotG2 a great movie. They're not actually reviewing the current selection. Yes, the last Pirates of the Caribbean was bad, but this isn't that movie. This one was fairly good. It wasn't the best, but it also isn't what people are calling it. If you were to instead compare this movie to Guardians of the Galaxy 2, this one would be a far better choice. At least Dead Men Tell No Tales had some entertaining parts to it. If you're undecided on the movie, go out and see it. It would be a far better choice than to listen to people who are stuck up and think that this movie isn't good enough for their delicate pallet.
Adult Written byJustine V. July 1, 2017

5th in the chain

I like the fact that Captain Jack Sparrow wants to be on the sea since well the first movie and I don't want a movie that makes me think, I want a movie that takes me places that makes me see the sea and takes me on a journey, yes it's the 5th movie but why do people want a complex movie instead of a movie that takes you places and makes you feel good and makes you laugh with Captain Jack Sparrow being his with his witty self.
Adult Written byCastielFan July 4, 2017

Yo Ho

Great film,Disney done it again

Adult Written byAltantsetseg B. May 27, 2017

Adult Written byBrando Y. May 29, 2017

Me gustó

Dead Men Tell No Tales was very good even in comparison to the other Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
Adult Written byAlex C. June 16, 2017

Incredibly violent

While the CGI was fantastic, there wasn't a scene in this movie where someone wasn't getting shot or run through with a sword. I'm amazed it's rated PG-13. I definitely wouldn't let my 13 year old see this. There is also a lot of scary imagery for younger kids, which I can imagine will give them, and the parents whose sleep they interrupt, many sleepless nights.

Adult Written byMelissa m. May 29, 2017

Enjoyable!

This movie has a combination of adult and child humor. Johnny Depp is very humorous as usual and the movie keeps your attention. There is some violence with sword fighting, stabbing, and attacks on other ships naturally but over all is was a really good movie and I would go see it again!
Adult Written byAttizaz A. May 31, 2017

Best movie

It's really an amazing and good movie, Jack Sparrow always rocks it's good for entertainment <3

Parent Written byCarla S. May 30, 2018

A good movie

My family were very keen and excited to go to see this movie. The boys really enjoyed this except the youngest cried when Barbossa died this time as you now love him as much as Jack. He will be missed but it needed something more to connect such an established character with the softer side of an abandoned daughter he had feelings for. I really enjoyed Henry's character he was engaging but Karina's character was just blah and did not excite or inspire anything, character had potential. They really need some self sacrificing between them for the audience to make the connection. Some forbidden longing or like in a great romance wanting something that is unattainable and the journey to obtain it. Loved the feel being out on the ocean . I think it lacked the basic sword fighting, like this ship against another. Pirates need swashbuckling that is where the excitement is, so said my nephew. You need to wait after the credits and the thrill of the idea of Davy Jones returning, the cinema erupted. I think this franchise has more but it cannot be Jack without Gibbs and the crew. Scrum fit in nicely but Pintel, Marty, Ragetti and Cotton are missed so they need that caliber of support characters. Karina had too much hiding she needs to be developed - the Barbossa in her. Also more wit and cunning, planning, scheming from Jack less just drunk he must be going after something like the East Indian Trading company. it will not work for Jack to carry this alone. the 1st one worked well because there were a few individuals stood out even the Govenor, Norrington etc. Look forward to what's next. if its to end, then end on a high.

Adult Written byCHOSEN O. April 4, 2018

Not The Best But Still Amazing

Not The Best Movie Of The Franchise But Still Amazing Don't Listen To These Shitty Critics They Don't Have A Little Bit Of Movie Sense. Just Go For It Give It A 5 Star And Then Wait For Pirates Of The Caribbean 6.