Kid reviews for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Talented cast can't save tired, action-heavy franchise.

Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2017

Not as good as the others

I had high expectations for this movie, and it fell a little short. As for age ratings, it really depends on the maturity of your child. The movie's violence didn't bother me at all, but may scare smaller children. I saw a couple walk in the theater with four kids from about ages 1-6. I didn't hear any screaming and crying so they were fine, I guess. I also know a nine-year-old that saw it, but they watch all kinds of movies that I'm not allowed to watch, so that didn't really surprise me. Violence: There is lots of violence, including gunfire, sword fights, punching, etc. Salazar kills every man except one to tell the story. Not much blood, but there are screams and moans as the men are killed. Sex: With Captain Jack in this movie, you can expect some talk of women, of course. And besides, they're pirates! Henry and Carina fall for each other, but their love story somehow wasn't as good as Will and Elizabeth's. Drinking: Captain Jack drinks much more than in the other movies. He's very drunk sometimes. Scaryness: Salazar and his crew are pretty creepy with their pale, cracked skin and bloodlust. Some of them are just peices of flesh floating around. If your kid is afraid of sharks, I would recommend picking a different movie, as there are three zombie-sharks that persue Henry and Jack while they're in a dinghy and rowing to shore. I recommend this movie to pirates of the Caribbean fans, but just remember that it's not as good as the other movies.

Teen, 15 years old Written byDCfnaf June 4, 2017

Pirates of the Carribean doesn't seem to care anymore

Yet another mediocre installment from this tired old series, "Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" takes the same exact formula as the last four movies and charges you extra money. It takes no risks, it feels forced throughout all of it, and this plot was absolutely ridiculous and convoluted. Fellow critics gave this a 30% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 71% of audiences enjoyed the movie. Honestly, my rating would hit something in between those two. It's one of those "Who Cares?" movies that'll likely gross out a lot in the box office because it's part of a popular Disney Franchise. I wasn't impressed by this installment at all because very little was happening this time around. Okay, so they are talking about finding the Trident, but nobody is really getting THAT much depth or development. As for parents that want to bring their young children, I'd think about that because Salazar might scare them and there is a load a violence as well as drinking. As a movie in general, I was not impressed and General movie-goers probably won't care for it at all. There's a difference between watching an action movie that tries to bring something interesting, and watching 5% of something interesting and 95% of Jack Sparrow running around, acting like a drunk toddler.

Teen, 13 years old Written byToasterStroodles June 3, 2017

Violent, but OK for pre-teens

I saw this movie in theatres twice, and really enjoyed it. The violence took up about 40-50 percent of the film, but was not wildly or intensely grotesque. The movie stars captain Jack Sparrow, a hopeless drunk that is forced to return to sea after a threat from undead pirates that have a score to settle with him. The innuendo is very funny, but will soar over younger children's heads. In the theatre, a mother had brought her two 5 to 7 year old children, which was completely inappropriate. But for anime over ten, I would definitely recommend it.

Kid, 12 years old May 27, 2017

Really Great Conclusion for the Pirates Series

First of all, this is WAY, WAY, WAY better than Common Sense Media says it is. The cast was good enough, the story tied up the loose ends, and the effects were amazing. Unfortunately, we do lose a character at the end, but it is not like in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, as in this he could have survived. The only reason I deducted a star is because Henry and Carina in love... just... no. Now, onto content! Sequences of Adventure Violence: There are several epic action scenes. Salazar is seen killing a thousand buccaneers vengefully. There are several destruction scenes. Salazar is seen in the movie killing several English soldiers alongside his own crew. Several intense fight scenes. There are lots of action scenes containing mild violence. Salazar and his men are seen invading to Barbossa's ship. It is intense. A ghost undead shark with bones and tendons is seen jumping above Jack's men. A pirate is seen attacked aggressively by a ghost undead buzzard. Several of Salazar's victims are seen drowning in the ocean. Salazar is seen attempting to murder Jack. Salazar is seen destroying an entire fleet of buccaneers. Suggestive Content: Some. When Carina is preparing to swim in the ocean taking off her dress to her body suit and she dives, Henry excitingly tells Jack "I saw her ankles". Jack is seen without his pants with his panties on him.

Teen, 15 years old Written byIlkWB123 June 7, 2017

Not a masterpiece, but entertaining

I found Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales to be an entertaining film through and through, like the previous Pirates films. All of the films but the first have gotten a lot of hate from critics, and I guess in some cases, they aren't the best-made movies. They've got a lot of mistakes. But are they entertaining? This fifth installment definitely was, as I found myself either laughing at the idiotic Jack Sparrow or in awe by the intensely paced action sequences throughout the whole course of the movie. Following with previous Pirates films, Dead Men Tell No Tales was pretty clean, with only a few sexual innuendos (Jack and his crew get interested in the word "horologist," misinterpreting its meaning), and lots and lots of rum-drinking. The reason for the 12+ rating for me is the intense nature of the film's action scenes. Captain Salazar and his undead crew would be pretty disturbing to young kids who aren't used to that sort of thing, and the rotten, undead sharks are pretty nasty, too. Not to mention numerous instances of bloody, slashy swordplay, typical of a Pirates film. No more or less violent, though. Overall, I'd highly recommend this movie to people who just want to have a heck of a good time, and not analyze every frame to see if it's a well-made movie.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAlanawojc June 5, 2017

Amazing!

I've been a fan of Pirates of the Caribbean for a long time now, and I have to say this movie was amazing! I would reccomend it to anyone with a great sense of humor, and enjoys action and comedy.

Teen, 14 years old Written byathena_12 June 10, 2017

for parents

hey so i watched the dead man tell no tales movie. The beginning is a child around 9-10 tying his led to a rock in the ocean and trying to commit suicide. soon after he is saved by a ship. some of the character especially the dead man have frightening looks. there is a load of violence but does not show too much blood just the sounds of the men being killed. jack is drunk for over half the movie as well and does say some rude remarks. overall this movie is for tweens and up and don't recommend it to young children.

Teen, 15 years old Written byelijah batz May 31, 2017

Family friendly. But a just OK execution of a film.

A bit of a disappointing film. Rewatching the previous Pirates movies let me down more for this one because it is by far the worst one. I was raised with these movies, so my hopes were high when watching this. It's not a bad movie, but it seems incomplete. I couldn't appreciate the action because I couldn't see anything. The swordplay would have been good if they turned on the lights. The CGI and opening action scene was handled very well. Johnny Depp isn't energetic as he was in the other Pirates of The Caribbean, but that could be due to his age and that he is tired of portraying this character? The villain was not fully fleshed out either. The ending was good, and there is an after credit scene which sets up a sequel. I enjoyed it overall. Good jokes, fine action, and an "OK" story.

Teen, 14 years old Written byictchis May 30, 2017

A sunken ship.

It was not that great, the new young actors weren't that great. (Also this is just my opinion and I'm so sorry to all the pirates of the Caribbean fans that have to hear this.) to lighten the mood the older actors did a great job!! i feel like they are going to ruin this franchise by making to many of these movies. Also at the end credits they are setting up for another Pirates of the Caribbean. Okay enough with the franchise of the movie. There are a few scary parts that kids will not like watching, but its all up to the parent. SPOILER: the main evil man in the movie is a dead man and his crew are also dead, they were cursed. His face as you can see in the poster is quite upsetting for some kid. At kinda the beginning of the movie we are seen on a boat and on this boat we witness a lot of killing. Swords through bodies then kicking the dead bodies off the sword, and one Scene that might be scary is when the evil guy kills the captain, he drives a sword through him the throws him into the fire. So yeah other than that part and a few action scenes of sword fighting that is pretty much all. There is no sex although there is a few and i mean few innuendo not to bad. That is all.
Teen, 15 years old Written byLexinemo1 June 11, 2017

Why your review is unprofessional and terrible.

In my opinion, this movie was fantastic. However, if you disagree with that than that's ok with me. My problem with your review is that it is completely unfair and unspecific. Throughout the whole review you barely touched any specific issues you had with the movie and why. How did Carina find her father "in the most obvious of places?" Please elaborate more because i never saw it coming. To have an established character have something as big as a secret daughter? And can you not see that the chemistry in this movie was never meant to be anything more than fun? I don't believe the characters even say "I love you" to each other and they never prove it by sacrificing themselves in a heroic act. The only one who did that was Barbosa whose character was supposed be in the process of redemption for abondoning his daughter. He had something to prove to Carina, while Herny and her's love was just for jokes and funny situations, it never really progressed the plot. The problem I have with this unprofessional review is there is no reasoning behind any of your claims. Rate the movie however you like but if your job is to review something you need reasoning behind your ratings. The only thing that is two stars, sir, is your reviewing skills.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydasdfgreae July 1, 2017

BEST PIRATES MOVIE EVER

THIS IS THE BEST PIRATES MOVIE THAT HAS COME OUT SO FAR! THE CHARACTERS WERE SO VIVIDLY PORTRAYED AND JACK SPARROW WAS SOOOOO MUCH FUN. IT WAS NICE TO SEE WILL TURNER'S SON AND IT WAS SO GOOOD.
Kid, 8 years old June 19, 2017

Good adventure and funny

Violence and blood and seans of heads off and bite of bad language

Teen, 13 years old Written byslackjon001 May 29, 2017

I hate the critics

THIS movie is good!! Don't listen to the critics!
Teen, 17 years old Written byBreaden Hoffmaster June 17, 2017

“What am I doing...OH I GOT IT! I’m robbing the bank.” -Jack Sparrow/Johnny Depp

‘Dead Man Tell No Tales” was an okay movie. It did SUPER well in the box office, but I found it boring compared to the others in the series. Jack Sparrow wasn’t really that funny, and the new characters were a nice addition but kinda hollow. It’s still worth watching however, and Will and Elizebeth’s cameos were the highlights of the movie. There’s tons for kids to be scared of however, and Jack is almost beheaded/hung, and there’s sword fighting (blood) and hand to hand, shoot outs, slit throats, drowning, and some jump scares as well as shark chases and possession. No swearing, but b TONS of inuendo from Jack as usual. The film is also lighthearted and funny at times, but it’s darker than the previous films and is best for an older audience.

Teen, 13 years old Written byisaacdyball June 7, 2017

pirates 5

The 5th pirates movie is rather violent, there's plenty of slashing, punches and a man's neck is broken. There's some mild language ("damn" "hell" and "piss") there's also some sexual innuendo and Jack sparrow is seen drunk a few times.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySkyLoxLove May 28, 2017
Teen, 13 years old Written byNaldo9911 May 26, 2017

A Great and Hopefully Last PotC Film

A great faith movie for the franchise that gave me the same feeling the first one did. Salazar is a villain to remember.

Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2018

It was fine but I did expect more

I did enjoy this movie but it fell a bit short of my expectations. For one, in my opinion Salazar was kinda a wannabe of Davy Jones. He just wasn’t as formidable and imposing. I also personally wasn’t a fan of Carina tbh because she’s a Mary Sue, but she’s at least a female scientist, which was *very* rare in that time. Of course because so she gets called a witch, but whatever, it’s the 1700’s after all. Don’t worry though, it’s not bad at all. There is still that humor in this movie though, and the plot is decent. I also like how it even helps some of the previous characters from the previous movies. However, my biggest complaint with not just this movie, but the whole franchise is that it’s too repetitive. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the whole franchise and especially the first three, but all the villains are undead and it’s just getting old. First the Pearl, then Jones’ crew, then still Jones’ crew, then that unnecessary “zombification” business with Blackbeard, then Salazar’s crew. Why? Why?! WHY?! Still though, this is a movie worth watching, just don’t except it to be super duper unicorn sparkly incredibly mind-blowing Thranduil fabulous.

Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2018

Great movie! Watch with the whole family!

First of all the innuendo will go straight over most kids heads. Second of all, I wouldn’t recommend it for under 9 because of the fear factor. Third of all, the comedy in this movie is amazing. I was laughing my head off the whole time. Fourth, language isn’t THAT bad. (see CSM review) Fifth, jack sparrow is drunk and drinks A LOT and I mean A LOT of rum! (Again, see CSM review) Sixth, understand you have to watch the other movies in the franchise to understand this one. Seventh, For crying out loud CSM, TWO stars? Two stars, really? This is arguably the best movie in the franchise! Eighth, if you’re looking for an alternative for younger kids, news flash! There isn’t any other movie like this! Conclusion: if you decide not to watch this movie, there’s something deeply wrong with you.

Kid, 11 years old December 17, 2017

WORST OF THEM ALL!!

This Movie is Disappointing but delivers Important Messages at times Like how One of The Characters Henry is a Selfless Character and Carina is a Strong Woman. The Violence in this Movie isn’t too strong but there is a scene where you see a bucket of severed heads, The Main Character (Captain Jack Sparrow) is also drunk For Basically the Whole Film.