Parent reviews for Princess: A Modern Fairy Tale

Second-rate fairy-tale romance has scary moments.

Parent Written byMichelle M. July 28, 2017

Movie can't decide if adult audience vs kids

Always looking for appropriate movies for son and daughter to view together. They cannot pick up on the subtle jokes about princess and lesbianism and the two friend being guy if they go to party together, or the guys drinking beer every time they are eating. Liberal push to always include obvious inappropriate content to even a Disney family show that doesn't add anything to storyline. Why have the pregnant couple and portray the husband in such a poor vulgar light. It's not necessary. B movie that kids enjoy, but patents have to suffer thru. Could have been sweet movie.

Adult Written bygreencrazed May 12, 2017

Pros and Cons

Not recommended for young children. It throws around inappropriate insults, "How gay is that?" etc. Also, it contains fantasy themes that may be hard for children to separate from reality. The plot is very obscure and confusing, but intriguing enough to keep me involved. Otherwise a good movie and a corny kind of cute
Adult Written byLisa K. January 31, 2017

Offensive and inappropriate (and I'm usually very tolerant)

This movie is a about a Caucasian, Princeton educated trust fund fellow who has $50,000 and has no idea what to do with his life. Many people would think this character is fortunate, but apparently, we are supposed to have empathy for him. He couch surfs at a fake Mark Zuckerberg's house (literally the character said he created one thing for the internet, sold it and now never has to work again, instead gets invites to charity functions and married an Asian women-the fact that this buddy character is written so despicably makes me think that the writer is an enemy of Mark Zuckerberg). Also they two guys drink ALOT, liquor, beer, etc, you name it, nearly every scene so I'm not sure how this got low ratings for the drug/alcohol use. Then the comments such as "no that's not gay at all" and how often the buddy calls the princess insane and mentally unstable and how she would be much better off if the main character would have sex with her and that he should lie to her, try to get famous for knowing her and so on, makes me think this movie was written by the worst, loneliest, most jaded man in the world. On another weird note, the endangered animal charity that the Princess raises money for is a sham. She lies to people so she can actually protect mermaids, dragons, etc. So that is one strike against philanthropic giving. I feel terrible that we watched this as a family and it did not represent any values that we share with our daughter. We had to "de-brief" her when it ended. And they use the word sucks a few times which is exactly how I would describe this movie.

Adult Written bykos lat L. November 5, 2016

Should have been a comedy

The acting was so bad that I truly thought it was a comedy. Other than my laughing through the entire film and watching the lead actor waddle through the movie like a penguin, my only true complaint has to be the 'special effects' which look like a toddler animated. The plotline would have been better if the first thing that I saw on the screen would have been 'The End'. Don't waste your time.
Adult Written bymirandareed73 September 12, 2015

Its great

I think its a good movie but i don't like williams friend he is too self-centered and a male chauvinist pig anything he should not have been created on to this movie he's a little bit too rude and snood and crude. And I have read all of the reviews on here and I agree with all of them some of it is a kids movie but some of its not I think the Virginity lesbian and gay and drinking part should have been left out of this movie and putting all kids stuff in this movie. I don't know what the director was thinking/creator . But I have to say I'm liking this movie so far. But I don't know. Some of it makes me smile and some of it gives me the creeps. Specially the hooded figure when William say something about that homeless thing that should not be in here either sorry but I don't agree with homeless creature being in this movie Its inappropriate and not right to be in this movie.

Adult Written bysusanna.zwerlin... May 9, 2014

Pretty Good Movie, But Iffy Stuff

I'm an 8 year old and this is coming from me.Pretty good plot, but some not appropriate stuff. I didn't realize how scary it was until I watched it, but overall, pretty good movie!

Adult Written byChilliwack Mom April 15, 2011

Sexist and just plain awful!

Poorly written, poorly acted. Main two characters are sexist. There is a discussion about things like "...she gave me a book so I could have a sympathetic pregnancy with her...it tells all about what pregnancy does to your wife's body..." Totally inappropriate dialogue for a "family" movie. Shame on you ABC Family!

Parent Written byKateBurns76 February 1, 2011

Too scary, sexist, stupid and bad for girls

My girls are 6 and 7 and they were enraptured by the insanely pretty Princess. However, the monsters were REALLY scary and both my kids screamed and burst into tears. They are still talking about it. My kids see a fair bit of stuff, they aren't wimps, the wolf man thing was scary!!

I also thought the "friend" of the main male character was revolting and manipulative and sexist. I didn't like his objectification of the Princess. As others mentioned the homophobia was there too.

Overall the story is still the same old Princess, the whole world revolves around being pretty and getting married. Very disappointing that this stuff is still being made for girls.

Also, they tried to convince us the Princess was 25?? Please.

WHERE are the good stories??

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bykarime September 11, 2010
i think that the movie is great.

Adult Written bydiamante2006 June 27, 2009

Garbage highly upset

This movie was not appopiate for kids. It is not a good message and is garbage. It is also showing kids dinking and gay comments,which is not appopriate for their young minds. I was highly upset with the content in this movie.

Adult Written byagarten June 11, 2009

Adult Written byaudreyrose May 27, 2009
Adult Written byyojuran April 9, 2008

Not a Family Movie

We turned it off after about 17 minutes and after way too much unnecessary dialogue and unnecessary information including lines about virgins, lesbians ... enough already. That's not Family for any age. C'mon!
Adult Written by2Pink April 9, 2008

Sweet Princess

My husband and I enjoyed watching this movie with our 4 year old daughter. I suggest watching it with your young child, some of the scenes are a little frightening before you are made aware the Princess cares for mythical creatures.