Parent reviews for Resident Evil

An ultra-gory video game-to-movie disappointment.

Wondering if Resident Evil is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byIAmJosephStalin May 11, 2020

Mediocre Adaptation of a great Video Game Franchise

As a big fan of the games this film is based off of, it was very disappointing. I'm 99% sure that the director of this film, Paul Anderson (yes I am gonna ignore the W.S. in his name) never played any of the games. Like, this film was released in 2002. By this time there were multiple games and books to at least inspire this film, but the only monsters they take from the franchise are generic zombies and badly animated CGI "lickers", in quotes because in this film the main kicker looks like absolute garbage. Also, Alice (Milla Jojovich) is the most bland, OP action movie protagonist of all time, which is a shame. Okay, enough fanboy whining. This movie is surprisingly tame in regards to violence, like a strong PG-13. There's a scene where Milla Jojovich awakes with amnesia in a shower, and you can see some side nipple. A very brief 2 second flashback where Alice is having sex with a man (no actual nudity seen, but bare backs and such). *SPOILER WARNING* In the end, Alice is half naked with just a white cloth covering her down to the thighs. If you slow down and pause the film at around 1:30:57 you can see some of Alice's..... crotchal re-- okay, I'll be blunt, you see her vagina. You have to look hard to see it though. Ah, I remember me and my friend would slow the footage down to see it back in the early 2000's. Infrequent swearing, maybe 4-5 F bombs. Overall, generic popcorn flick. 2/10.

Adult Written byChloe Lynn Cui ... June 25, 2019

Ages 16+

Good apocalypse movie
Parent of a 6, 7, 17, 18+, and 18+-year-old Written byHahahahbigfart July 12, 2018

its really violent and uses strong language

you shouldn't watch it until your 15

Parent Written byKatherine T. March 30, 2017

Iffy for 17+

Not recommended for kids under 17
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Good.

This is a GREAT horror movie! It is funny,action packed,and cool.
Adult Written bycallofduty5 May 18, 2011

Too violent for pre-teens

Good sci-fi/horror film not too bad
laser scene might disturb younger people and the aftermath of it.

Adult Written bytherougegod September 21, 2010

Great watch for anyone 13-14 and up.

I think this movie is excellent for children in the sense that, yes, some of the scenes are gory and violent, but it has an excellent style and presentation that lends itself to a wonderful film. This film portrays exactly what we should expect in our nation (the U.S) today. With all the lies and corruption we have floating about, I think kids need to know that we may not be far from something similar to this bio-warfare from happening. It's an eye opener to the things that could be to come.

Adult Written by4Spice September 6, 2010

i loved it

this movie is a great action/horror/triller movie 16 and over for brief nudity intense violence and strong language lots of blood no kids at all

Parent of a 11, 14, and 15-year-old Written bycashed12 July 23, 2010

A gruesome sci-fi/horror gorefoest,Not for anyone.

I hate it,This movie is a sci-fi/horror gorefest for no one under 17

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byRenegade of funk August 17, 2009

Adult Written byorcadin9 June 25, 2009
The movie is a horror-action-thriller that can be pretty shocking at points but OK for pre-teens because it is so unrealistic in the matter of the undead and blood, the movie will most likely appeal to your teen because
of the story line.

p.s.
the movies only downfall is the language and peril.

Adult Written byjesus3boy May 28, 2009
awesome movie if u wanna be scared and dont mind violence and language

Adult Written byManic Bulldog February 16, 2009

Let's Slow it Down!

I hadn't plan on reviewing this film since I havent watched it in over a year... but after reading my fellow reviewers responses, I decided I needed to do the film justice. Now the film was actually done rather well... and as for some people who would catagorize this film in the "b" section of budget and production, they would be sadly mistaken. The movie wasnt supposed to follow the game... it was mearly based on the existing format layed out by Capcom. The movie did well enought to provide 3 sequels to date. (RE: Apocolypse, RE: Extinction. and RE: Degeneration). I just felt like I needed to do this film justice. Thanks for reading!
Adult Written byalec_smithers April 9, 2008
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Good Adult Horror SciFi

The best scene is in the first 20 minutes involving lasers.
Adult Written byredemption32 April 9, 2008

Good, but not perfect

Yes we all know that the movie didnt follow the game to a point. They did have a mansion and the Umbrella Corporation along with the whole hush hush on the facility. And yes, we all know the movie had flaws. But honestly, they werent big ones...the budget they had to work with was pethedic so they had to deal with what they had. The characters and the plot was pretty well done though along with the enviorment of the set. Milla and Michelle were great together in the movie and put on a kick-ass preformance. All in all, if you take out that it was a video game (and amazing on at that) and a book that the movie didnt follow at all, it was a pretty good movie.