Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Girl on the Train

Taut book-based thriller has drinking, violence, sex.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byLivingLovingLearning October 7, 2016

Exposing psychological & emotional domestic violence.

(*possible spoiler alert*) I found the sex most inappropriate for youth, it IS an adult movie. A young woman seeming to behave like sex addict and almost pathological/sociopath ... But when her truth came out, it was a devastating event occurring in her teens that left her with this behaviour and likely PTSD. Even 17+ I would suggest adult supervision. For me, in the end, this movie expressed the deeper reality of Domestic Violence (which may or may not include physical/sexual violence) ... The psychological/emotional control a perpetrator of DV has over his victims was hidden through out the movie, as it is in real life. Hence I believe this movie can be used as a tool for older teens (young adults) to understand how a wolf gets away with so much in sheep's clothing.

Adult Written byCory S. October 8, 2016

Intense. Too intense.

This movie has very dramatic plot lines weaved throughout. It is very sad seeing the betrayal, lust, and lies that one of the characters has caused. Scenes of sex are every 10 minutes, brief, but breasts and butts are seen. It is a very sexual movie throughout though. Also the scenes of violence were kinda sickening. Two in particular nearing the end of the movie with blunt trauma to a head (A man murdering his lover) and another murder with a corkscrew to the neck. I don't think the intensity of this movie was necessary. The story line however was great minus the visuals.

Adult Written byIn O. January 31, 2017

Adult Written byNats10 February 11, 2017

Adult Written byStevie111 October 22, 2016

Average thriller that just didn't impress me

I'll start by saying that this isn't a bad movie, it just was consistently average. Everything was fine, but that was it. I felt like it needed a better twist or something more shocking to get my interest. I found it to be boring and not that impressive. I like the actors, but they didn't wow me either. I just wasn't impressed. I haven't read the book to compare the two. There is a fair bit of stronger sexual content. There isn't to much language and there is only brief violence, but when there is violence, it is fairly intense. There is a lot of drinking too. I think this definitely an adult film, but older teens that want to see it may be okay depending on the kid.

Teen, 15 years old Written bylittlepig1 May 25, 2017

Not worth watching

I read the book because of the hype. Still don't understand why everyone like it so much. The book was disappointing - so is the movie. It's very slow and contains a lot of sex scenes. It wasn't exciting either. There's many sex scenes, not too graphic but you can see thrusting, moans, buttocks and there's a lot of sexual references. The violence isn't that bad since you only see short flashbacks of what happened, but at the end a man gets killed by a sharp object. There's blood and you can see a woman pushing in the object in his neck further to make sure he's really dead. The word "f--k" or "f--ked" are mentioned many times. You get to see women get abused, punched, strangled and in pain because of men. Abusive men are shown multiple times. Okay for 15 and up because of the sex, language and the violence at the end. It also deals with alcohol but they show it's not a good option.

Parent of a 10, 12, and 16 year old Written bySnow27 May 31, 2018

Domestic violence, emotional abuse, too graphic for a 15 rating

I found the themes of domestic violence and emotional and physical abuse were portrayed too graphically for a 15 rated film. Sex was portrayed as violent and loveless. The film also deals with alcoholism (portraying the negative consequences effectively). There’s a lot of bad language. This is not a film for children under 18.

Parent Written byEmmie F. July 29, 2017