Kid reviews for The Help

Poignant, thought-provoking civil rights tale.

Teen, 14 years old Written bychar1903 June 27, 2020

Great movie!

This was a wonderful movie, with great messages. The ending was sad, but I guess that was kind of the point. There is some abuse to one of the maids by her husband, though it is off screen, I found it disturbing. The N word is also used many times along with some other swear words.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGreen0109 June 12, 2020

Appropriate & Historical

There was shown a lady who was having a miscarriage on the bathroom floor, and a few curse words but overall this is a great, positive way to learn about the civil rights movements.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPinkFloyd06 June 9, 2020

Great Movie!

This is a really good movie, I enjoyed watching it. There is some language but it's not bad. I can't really remember if there was an F word, but I don't really remember hearing one. I've gotten really bored lately so I like to watch movies and this one was very well directed and it caught my attention pretty quick. I think it's important to let kids watch it so they understand how life was like in the 50's and 60's.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBlue2102 June 6, 2020

Truly amazing

Great movie, very touching and heart warming. It spreads good values and is really amazing. The cast is great, the plot as well, really realistic and honest. I loved it.

Kid, 11 years old May 11, 2020

Amazing movie! blew my mind

The film and novel are about the story of a young white woman and journalist Skeeter who wants to write about how bad the black maids are treated, the movie and novel are based in the 1960s.

The movie has given me a new perspective on racism, it’s shown how bad it was then. It’s sad thinking about, and just painful to know that it’s based on a true story. It’s a warm movie with a lot of heart with funny, sad, and happy scenes and a few where I just wanted to punch them in the face for being racist and stupid! It’s a great movie that has great heart and messages!

Teen, 16 years old Written byWolfgirl96 March 12, 2020
It’s good it really depends on what you let you kid each there is some language but if your fine with that then this movie is great
Kid, 12 years old October 6, 2019

A Fantastic and Thought Provoking Movie

Thought provoking and heartfelt, The Help has great themes and messages. Language is relatively strong (few instances of 'sh*t') so I'd say it's okay for mature ten- or eleven-year-olds. I strongly recommend The Help. It's an excellent mother-daughter movie for tweens and teens alike. Check out the book too!

Teen, 13 years old Written byPoop butt August 1, 2019

Such a good film for pre-teens/teens to watch!

This movie has such good messages about how we should treat others and how our country once was like. There is alot of swearing, but nothing extreme. There are also some pretty humorous parts too

Teen, 13 years old Written byvolleyballplayer32 July 4, 2019

Really good but...

My 10 year old brother watched this and he is really mature for a 10 yr old boy. I think 10 is about the lowest age you could go for this movie. It is a really intense drama of a really segregated and scary time. There is some language but it is a PG-13 movie so there is nothing you wouldn't expect. Be prepared for the feels...

Teen, 15 years old Written byeford34 November 1, 2018

Amazing

I think it is an inspiring and heart felt movie, I cried at the part of the movie when Skeeter found out about Constantine. I recommend this is a must see movie and is not boring one bit.

Teen, 13 years old Written byekeathley12 September 28, 2018

It was amazing/ I loved it

it is an amazing movie and teaches kids about racism and how black women and men were very mistreated, but there are about 3 women who come off as not racist so it also shows them that not all white people were or are raciest.

Teen, 14 years old Written by13hclover March 21, 2018

I LOVE The Help

This movie is an inspiring story of a racist town during the Civil Rights and the women who took on the job of pointing out the problems with it. This movie is dramatic and does deal with the racism (obviously) of that time, but it is truly inspiring and one of the best movies I have ever seen. It is also based off of an amazing book, which I suggest reading before you see the movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written byHelloitishelga March 12, 2018

Unnecessary swearing

This is a very good movie. However, families should determine if their child is mature enough to watch this. Some aspects they might not understand, and it’s will fly right over their heads. Other children WILL understand, but, if they are not mature enough, they will feel a bit uncomfortable. If you feel they are mature enough, they will thoroughly enjoy this movie. There is no sexuality in this movie, except for aphte few usual kisses, but there is a little too much swearing,

Teen, 15 years old Written bybluedog2 August 25, 2017

Important Message

With the help of some great acting, this film really delivers the message to younger audiences about the inequality many coloured people faced during the 50's. Many of the characters face challenges, with their decisions leading to large consequences, however this film delivers a powerful message about standing up for what you believe in.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoomoo123 June 19, 2017

Teen, 15 years old Written bythatsmea121 April 6, 2017

education

I think the help is a very good movie for both kids and adults because it let's know about our ancestors history and how they lived in that point in time.

Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Flying Orange March 20, 2017

Fine for kids to watch; good themes and morals

It's a good film based off the book that any kid could watch and learn some really valuable lessons from. It's really educational and the acting's good. It does leave out a lot of information from the book, but it's still good. Parents should definitely show this to their kids to educate them on how racism was prevalent in America in the 1960s and what being a good person is(it has a lot of dilemmas with this concept). Maybe try to find a censored version, as I would say 6+ if not for language. If there's a version with less profanity(like a tv version), then this would be fine for 5-6 year old and up. Even 8 seems young for the amount of language, but it makes sense for the culture and society at the time, and the themes are really good for kids to know.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycupcakebrownie21 February 8, 2017

The Help

An amazing movie with humor and inspiration :-)

Teen, 13 years old Written bynick542 January 16, 2017

truly moving

The Help in whole is an amazing movie. The themes and motifs may be too old for some younger kids. It takes place during a time of segregation and African Americans are treated poorly. It takes place in the 60's so practically everyone smokes and there is a scene where a characeter is intoxicated. There are also many scenes with alcohol, but it is not overly too much. Moderate cussing is used throughout the movie. One instance of the "n" word, used casually. Many occurrences of shit and other tame cuss words. Although there are bad messages, there are a lot of empowering and good messages, too. Overall probably 13+

Teen, 14 years old Written bymuna.b October 16, 2016
For kids that already know some historical background before watching this movie. it's not very disturbing, the swearing is not bad. Again, if the child is not completely confused and shocked (about the story of black maids in the 60's) then it's fine to watch.