All parent member reviews for The Illusionist

Adult Written bykarlmattson April 9, 2008
Adult Written bymuchkasmom April 9, 2008

Wonderful film. I highly recommend this period piece for an excellent story and wonderful acting. I took my almost 10 year old and she loved it. There is some violence and a tasteful love scene. It's for mature kids 10 and up.
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySciFiDad March 5, 2011

Period love story in a class-oriented society, with a mystery twist.

This is an excellent period based mystery/suspense movie for young teens and up. If the "bad behavior" the critic speaks of is taken in this period context, it is fairly mild. There is one very mild love (kissing) scene, a tyrant ruling character and a little bloodshed, but overall nothing indelible. The intensity in this film comes from the very clever main illusion, which involves raising the dead on stage and hearing the stories of their deaths in their own words. There is also tension between the Illusionist and the Tyrant, who vie for the same woman. Classic struggle of love in a class-oriented society. Fortunately, all is revealed at the end of the movie, so there should not be any lost sleep. Happy ending for the main characters, who (spoiler alert) manage to take down the tyrant and are together in the end. Excellent and highly entertaining mystery.
Adult Written byoaklandfamily April 9, 2008

An excellent family film for parents and older children

We were worried about watching this, after having read the Common Sense Media review. After having read some parent reviews, we decided to watch it. We absolutely loved this movie! We watched it with our almost 13-year old son and our (mature) 10-year old daughter, who bothed loved it. Excellent intrigue, suspense and great ending! The sex and the violence were such a small part of the entire movie, and tastefully done, that they were almost a non-issue. There seemed less of that in this movie than in some PG movies we see. Great film!
Parent Written byGoonie@heart August 12, 2011

No smoke and mirrors here.

A Great slow building story that leads to an ending that will blow your mind.
Adult Written bygrannysue April 9, 2008

lovely twists

Nice period set and dress. Nice twist and gottchas. Simple but interesting.
Adult Written bymrsrobinson97 April 9, 2008

Enjoyable Film!

A clean enjoyable film - any teen or adult that is into magic & mystery would enjoy this. The "sex" scene is handled very tastefully. Good story. Another great role for Paul Giamatti. The only caution is that there are some spiritual undertones that may make some in the audience feel uneasy.
Adult Written bydmjimenez April 9, 2008
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Surprise Ending

You'll want to make sure to catch the ending of this movie...quite a surprise! Younger viewers will become bored.
Adult Written byPollyRoger April 9, 2008

One of my favorites...

I was pretty surprised by this movie, to be honest with you. I wasn't expecting to like it very much. But it's excellent. Wonderfully done, and the acting is perfect. It's a great movie too for someone who likes movies set in old times. The "sex scene" wasn't really much of a sex scene at all. Most of it was blurred. And I'm not sure where CSM got the idea that there was one f-word. There wasn't. There were a few minor curse words. Overall, a really great movie. I'd say it would be appropriate for anyone, but younger kids might get bored.