All parent member reviews for The Lovely Bones

Parent of a 17 year old Written byThemaxieriddle March 12, 2011

beautiful movie!!!

I honestly love this movie. It is not meant to be a sad movie, nor is it meant to be a thriller. This movie is meant to be realistic, to open our eyes. It has a very intense plot, but it is a realistic one because in the real world, things like this happen all the time whether we hear about it or not.
Parent Written byMusicRock668 October 7, 2012

excellent movie but is Better For Old teens than Preteens !

really good movies is very sad there not much blood for scene of susie murder which is not off screen but see lots of blood in bathroom and is about girl who is 14 year teen who is murder and is watching over her family i wouldn't young preteens see this movie because of it Disturbing theme !
Adult Written byMovieMan26 October 11, 2010

Who would want to watch something this sad?

Seriously. This is one of the most depressing, anti-climactic movies ever made. I hated it, but that's just me. I wish I hadn't spent money on it. Others may consider it beautiful. I don't judge them, but I still thought this was dull, dark, and depressing. Oh, and as for the special effects sequences, there were just too many. Parents: This movie is about a child's off-screen rape and murder. There are also other acts of on-and-off-screen violence and sex, plus language. Bottom Line: Sad and slow, this is not a movie for action, comedy, or thriller fans. I honestly don't know who would want to watch this. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man
Adult Written byPeguin July 7, 2010

See it with your teenaged daughter!

The best part of this movie is to teach young girls what NOT to do... walking alone, going off alone with a man (stranger or not!), being afraid to say no when you sense danger, for fear of being rude, The villain was frightening in his unrelenting tenacity. He seems cartoonish by today's standards, but this was the 70's before people talked about ugly things that could happen to kids. And he was NOT a stranger, as some reviews imply... he was a neighbor, portrayed as odd but in no way dangerous. All his victims gathering in limbo struck me as very creepy, and I think far too much time was spent in afterlife fantasy. The sense of loss from "what might have been" was very sad. I most felt sorry for the little brother, who kind of disappeared!
Adult Written byvwterry March 22, 2011

The Horror Years

For those who grew up in the seventies, this movie plays a bit like a horror version of The Wonder Years, an expanded version of that creepy elementary school child molestation film. Although it mercifully spares us some of the more gruesome details found in the novel, it is much too frightening and disturbing for young teens or younger children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byCORN ROX February 19, 2010

One of the best movies I've seen in a while!

Very good movie! The acting is amazing and the story has a powerful meaning! Yes of course you probably shouldn't play this movie at a preschool but it is actually a good movie for kids to see. It teaches them not to trust people who are lets say.....strange. Nice movie! Very good. Thought it was really well done. I would recommend it to anyone!
Parent of a 9, 13, and 15 year old Written byBuffalo Gal February 4, 2010

Thought provoking for teens

Very interesting adaptation of the book. Made for great conversation about heaven and our family beliefs and values. Also great reminders of stranger danger, something we haven't discussed in awhile. Teenagers get a sense that they are not invincible and bad things do happen, we need to stay on guard. Trust your inner voice.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byToby392 January 31, 2010

Not good for ANY kids.

I took my 11 year old and wish I hadn't. Its very distubing.
Parent of a 12, 16, and 17 year old Written byNatalie9718 January 19, 2010
Adult Written bywonder dove January 17, 2010

Beautifully done!

I saw it three times! This movie is exceptional. Very heartwarming but intense, also seems very realistic even though it's labeled "fantasy". I think that a lot of points about death in this film is right on, you learn not be afraid and that there's life afterwords! We need more films like this. It's gripping & chilling at times, you get to see how serial killers live their lives and what may come back at them. It's very sad yet touching with great messages, I definitely enjoyed this and will purchase it when it goes out on DVD! My only complaint is that it's a tad slow in some areas. Highly recommended for families with kids 14++, older teenagers and all adults should appreciate this one.
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 9, 2012

The saddest movie I've ever watched

Educator Written byyellowdiamond15 April 24, 2010

Good movie

Little kids woulnt get this movie. You need to put the pieces together to understand it. But overall very touching movie!
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMomOfOne123 January 14, 2010

great for anyone 11 and up!

great movie! I saw this movie with my 12 year old and her friends, and they thought it was awesome. but this movie is definitely not for anyone under 11!
Adult Written byTNMMluv February 10, 2010
Parent of a 7, 11, and 11 year old Written byMPerfection January 29, 2010

good for teens esp. girls.

I took my 12 year daughter to see it & we both enjoyed it. It had some fantasy moments which really kept her attention & the girl was around her age so she could somewhat relate in that way. I thought it was good that it exposed her to bad people that want to hurt kids & I feel it makes her more aware that not all grown-ups are to be trusted.
Adult Written bythesurfr January 24, 2010
How an earth did he move the safe into the truck???? Why didnt they park closer to the hole to dump the safe? So many other stupid things about this riciculous movie...insulting to our intelegence...
Parent of a 4, 11, 12, 13, 15, and 16 year old Written by7mom7 January 17, 2010

Great movie!

I saw it with my oldest daughter, and it was amazing!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bymomwith4kids January 16, 2010

everyone should see it

Parent of a 14 year old Written byVicky567 September 3, 2012

The lovely Bones

This movie has the 3 Ds; depressing, disturbing and distressing. I can't believe it's a Pg - 13 in America and a 12 here in England. It should be a borderline 'R' and a '15' here which it was very close to being. This is by far one of my favourite films and I'm really glad they toned down the violence and sexual threat in this film than in the book cos obviously it wouldve been way too much. The violence is at a minimum and the only thing that really bothers me is how dark and upsetting the film is (especially for a 12a where an 8 year old can go watch it as long as they have an adult with them) Do Not let your kids watch it if they are sensitive or too young to underhand what's happening
Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 26, 2011

16 and up.

the Lovely bones is a good movie good for older audiences it was kinda sad too however the Lovely bones does have some heavy themes that maybe too much for younger kids the movie does have violence, a little bit of language and the grandmother drinks and smokes in front of her grandchildren they also show children's dead bodies floating in the water which is very disturbing some parts of the movie was confusing at first but it was a good movie.