Parent reviews for The Road to El Dorado

The Road to El Dorado Poster Image

One scene takes the film over the line as far as being for kids

There are bits that dance along the line of suitability for kids like the nude male butts and use of the word hell. But there's a scene where a native woman pops up from below the screen, followed by a man. The position her head is in is so far down from the male, it's hard to argue it's implying anything other than oral sex. Pretty gross

1 person found this helpful.

Fun adventure romp, though not great messages

My 8-year-old and 11-year-old really enjoyed this. A couple of bits of innuendo went over their heads. The big scary stone jaguar wasn't as scary as I'd been worried about. One issue is that the three main protagonists all basically lie and cheat and more or less get away with it. I can't really say they're good role models. (In the end they are willing to give up the gold to protect the natives, but you still get the impression they'll be lying and cheating to the next town they find.)

AMAZING

I've been reading other peoples comments about El Dorado and their absolutely wrong! I think this movie is amazing and though there are some interesting senes....My family and I absolutely loved it! I give this movie 5 stars and I highly recommend it to anyone including kids. I grew up on this movie myself and have thoroughly enjoyed it and I do think everyone who is trash talking this beautiful masterpiece does not know what a good movie is all about! These people are so sensitive and I think it is an amazing piece of film. And I'm quite upset reading other peoples reviews. This is a truly stunning, amazing, beautiful, informational movie. Thank you. PS. but not to the people who hate the movie.

Not particularly funny, but okay

It’s an okay movie, but at times inappropriate for young kids.

The Road To El Dorado is not for kids

i think the Road to El Dorado is a amazing movie but its not for little kids because it has a very Adult sexual innuendo where its implied the main character got a blow job and it has some swearing like hell and is very vilonte the villian in the movie kills and pushes a innocent man into a cauldroun with that being said i think the Road to El Dorado is for teens and adults and i dont reccomend it for anyone under the age of 14

Different Cultural Standards

The thing about Chel's outfit is that nudity was normal in ancient civilizations, as still is, in some current foreign countries. Women being seductive was a shock value theme for (anti-)heroines in animation back then in 2000. The theme song imho was a lame copy of other successful Disney movies down to Elton John, but the musical style wasn't reminiscent of Spain or Central American tribal music, so it was boring, non-descript, and not catchy or beautiful to sing along to. Now, for the story, the skinny dipping was no big deal to me. Fantasia had more sexual innuendo and nudity. It wasn't graphic. It's a part of life. This is not a Christian movie. It's a cartoon comedy about a culture that is historically known for being violent in their worship practices using human sacrifices etc..and wearing loin cloths....what did you expect? The original Road to El Dorado had Bob Hope and Bing Crosby shenanigans so you know crazy stuff will ensue. My kids asked about the rituals. It gave us the opportunity to highlight the differences between Christianity and other beliefs. Christ is the focus for us!

Good Animated Flick

I watched The Road to El Dorado when I was 6 years old and I remember loving it. I then watched it many times over the years and it wasn't until I was much older that I started understanding more of the adult content in the film - not that I really think there is that much to begin with. I think like most adult jokes in kid's movies, it will go over the heads of the younger members in the audience. Otherwise, it is a fun movie that both kids and adults will delight in. Rated 10+ for animated violence, imagery of blood, mild language, and adult jokes.

el Dorado

Some language like crappy, stupid, megail was doing to say a bad word but just said you f*, hell, and other languege if you put it in subtitles it says there drunk when they sing its tough to be a god but looks like pink juice

Misleading title but very enjoyable

When I see a movie called "THE ROAD TO El Dorado," I'm thinking it's an adventure movie, where the climax is them finally finding El Dorado and seeing if it does contain the treasures the map promises. Well, after an Elton John-tinged montage they do find El Dorado...and 80% of the movie takes place in El Dorado...so why not just call it "El Dorado?" Besides that, if you get past the fact that two white men are voicing 16th century Spaniards, the movie's a lot of fun, Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline bring a lot of personality and fun to their roles. The animation is beautiful, and the movie is a little more tween friendly than little kids, with some blood, some heavy flirting with Rosie Perez's Chel, and a few PG curses parents might have concerns about. I'd like to think the movie's ultimate message is that who needs gold when you have friendship, and for early elementary schoolers that's a great theme to take home.