All parent member reviews for We Need to Talk About Kevin

Adult Written bywonder dove June 9, 2012

Too slow...

I love these types of films, but I found this one way too slow moving for my taste. Nothing actually happens until the 2nd half of the movie and watching Kevin grow up was nothing special, he just seemed like an ignorant kid who needed some discipline. I was hoping for something actually more disturbing, according to some reviews. Maybe I need to watch it again, but from what I've seen it's not really something that held my attention. Just a heads up for people who may be wanting more thrill or thinking it's an edge-of-your-seat thriller...but it's worth a look anyway.
Adult Written bydvdkid13 January 8, 2012

Haunting and terrifying

This movie is disturbing and haunting. This is the story of a mother and how she deals with the violence her son inflicts on others. Tilda Swinton and the rest of the cast play their roles perfectly and it is almost as if you can feel the emotion (or lack thereof with Kevin). Parents especially will most likely cringe and be extremely bothered by certain elements of Kevin's character and actions. Certainly not for kids. Despite that, in my opinion, this is a movie worth seeing. The sheer amount of visual mood and expressions that convey this sense of uneasiness is an incredible cinematic achievement. Although this movie has flown under the radar, this movie will keep you thinking long afterwards. Even through the uneasy, unnerving scenes, this movie is gripping and, as a result, worth seeing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byFilmFather January 6, 2012

Prepare to be disturbed, especially if you're a parent

Each scenario in We Need To Talk About Kevin is more unsettling and disturbing than the previous one. The interactions between Eva and Kevin are uncomfortable, pitiful, or downright heartbreaking, and any occasional glimmer of hope for these two to form a true mother-son bond is quickly dashed by the next scene. ***** This is one of the most gripping, unnerving horror/thrillers in recent history. It’s extremely powerful, yet very difficult to watch. That goes double if you’re a parent. ***** The film is rated R for “disturbing violence and behavior, some sexuality, and language.” There are several scenes of the aftermath of Kevin’s attack at his high school, with bloody bodies carried out on stretchers. Several people, including a young child, are shown dead by Kevin’s arrows. A few sexual situations are shown in shadows or silhouette, except for one fully lit scene where Eva catches Kevin in a compromising position in the bathroom. In terms of alcohol and drugs, Eva consumes a lot of wine and pills. Ironically, teenagers about Kevin's age and older would be the appropriate audience. ***** Read my full review at: filmfather [dot] blogspot [dot] com.