Parent reviews for We Were Soldiers

We Were Soldiers Poster Image

Real movie about real people and war

This is one of if not the best war movie about Vietnam. Cl Moore was truly a one of kind True American Hero. This movie humanize soldiers on both side. The battles are very graphic and violent. Mel Gibson gives a one in a lifetime performance. If you like to know history of war this movie is a must see. As far as children are concerned my opinion is the parents who should make that decision. My older children have seen it but my husband is ARMY so they know more about military wife.

Fantastic War Movie For Teenagers

Most of the violence in this movie is basic battle-style violence in which men and shot, blown up, lit on fire, stabbed, and incinerated, most of the time without blood or significant injury detail. However, there are exceptions. In the beginning of the movie a man is shot in the throat (in slow motion) with very bloody results. A scene later in the movie depicts bloody flesh being scraped off of a mans legs by accident. Another scene shows a man hit in the face with prosperous, which begins to burn him until another soldier uses a boot knife to cut it out of his face. These are all very brief but noteworthy incidents. As for language, there are 4 uses of the f-word (three of which are subtitles in the first 5 minutes of the movie) a handful of s-words, and 3 uses of the word “Pu*sy.” Also, stating this movie as "One of the most violent ever released"is a gross over exaggeration.

A true story of servant leadership and incredible courage

Firstly, the expert Neil Minow's header, is in my opinion biased, and each person should read all the reviews to get a balanced idea of this film. Admittedly Mel Gibson's war films are graphic, however what trumps the battle scenes, in my opinion are the personal stories of many men and women whose courage and dedication overshadowed a challenging time in US history. This film is based on a real event and was created with close oversight of Colonel Hal Moore, the man whose book, "We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young (co-authored by Joe Galloway). The film brings honor to the many other soldiers who fought in the Vietnam conflict. Although there are intense battle scenes and strong language, many of my friends middle school children have watched the film. Of course a film such as this requires parents to debrief the younger viewers afterwards.

One of the Best War Movies

This is one of the top 3 war movies that I have seen an would recommend others too. Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket are the other two. It tells all sides of the war fought over seas, while showing the effects it has at home. Also displays the human side of soldiers on both sides. The battles are very graffic an not for the young child or easily disturbed stomachs. Mel Gibson and Sam Elliott are the modern day John Wayne and Robert Mitchum from El Dorado . Joe Galloway did just as much as the soldiers in telling this story an helping people at home know what these men gave up, went through and fought for. This is a movie I can never see enough. If you like a movie that can make you laugh, smile, mad, cry and be proud of those in service then this is it.

THE TRUTH ABOUT WAR

The movie is gripping, non-stop action and it shows you the truth about war and what are men face in war. What they are up against when fighting our enemies. That war isn't pretty. I loved the movie and the truth about it. Great acting and love true story.

Very realistic showing of the battle and the home front.

We watched this movie on the advice of my uncle, who joined up with this military unit shortly after the battle this movie portrays. He feels it is one of the most accurate movies about the Vietnam War ever made. SO, this movie is extremely violent and gut wrenching. It doesn't just show the blood and guts on the battle field, but the heart break at home. I think it's one of those must see movies that captures a moment in history that we should never forget. It is NOT appropriate for anyone under the age of 16 and even then I think twice if you have an over sensitive teen.

Great movie, but pretty violent, teens only

Parents should know that this movie is particularly violent and intense. The full horror of modern war as experienced by young American and Vietnamese soldiers. It is however an important historical moment and one that we should not soon forget. Older teens, especially those considering joining the armed forces, should know what kind of terrible price is paid by men and women in the military and their families. So often our young people put history aside and focus only on the present and future. Movies like this help to show the brutal reality that war really is.

Not For Kids

Here's the thing: films like this are appropriate for their intended audience, which is adults. They are not for children of any age and not even most older teens should be exposed to this film in my opinion. Yeah, a lot of teen guys will be ok seeing it, but maybe they'd be better off waiting a few years. Girls probably wouldn't want to see this movie anyways, but I think if they did they would be appalled and probably closing their eyes for most of it. I think the description of this film as "one of the most violent films ever" is an extreme exaggeration because the violence in this film is realistic and not over the top like many horror films. However, the language and graphic violence definitely limit the audience on this one.

Good

It is a very good Mel Gibson movie it is a bit sad but its more the violence it has strong themes cause when i watched it with my 17 year old son he understands things like that cause its not about the violence it's about understanding how bad war is MA15+Strong violence themes and language

The only reason I rate this "off for 17" is because it is so sad. It is very hrd to watch without feelin very sad, and realising the reality of death and war. Families get letters telling them thier son, brother, or father has died. It is very graphic. There is a lot of violence, and some strong language. Otherwise it is a very good movie. (And the acting is great.)