All teen and kid member reviews for Downton Abbey

Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez June 23, 2013

Great show but a lot of death, worth watching though

It is a really good show. It has great story lines that are fun and you are always wondering whats going to happen next. You are cheering for all the characters. It does have a lot of very freaky and sad deaths. Some of the episodes have coughing up of blood. Also they have such sweet characters die. But it is worth watching even though there is death. It's a great drama. It will teach you a lot about history and the costumes are beautiful.
Teen, 15 years old Written byIWatchTooMuchTv October 8, 2013

Very Well Done Show, But Mature Themes Throughout.

Downton Abbey is a fantastic show, and very addictive. However, it deals with situations like war, sex scandals, the loss of a child, a murder case, social classes, and death in general. In the most recent episode, there was an extremely shocking rape scene to a very beloved character (the actual rape isn't shown, you see her hit, dragged into a room, and hear her scream as everyone listens to opera oblivious upstairs. Not graphic, but sickening nonetheless.) That being said, if you're mature enough to handle the mature themes, Downton is a fantastic show and a look at life in England in the early 1900s.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheAlice12 June 5, 2015

Downton Abbey= The best period drama on Tv!

This wonderful period drama piece set from 1912 to the 1920's is well written, full of plot twists and lovable characters. I'd say 12 and up will love this show, including adults! There is one episode (Season 5) where a much loved main character is raped but it is not graphic and doesn't even show the scene, (the man behaves sexually, attempts to kiss her and then hits her when she won't respond, he leads her to the bed, screams cut through the house, but doesn't show what is going on through the room) A main character dies in childbirth and another main one dies in a car crash (season 4 christmas special) the show handles dramatic occasions like characters being put in prison, same sex couples kiss, plus a character has a child in wedlock and attempts running away, also there is a woman who was previously a prostitute (again, not graphic) As for language, there is da**, the very occasional sh** and who** Characters drink wine, spirits and whisky (rare) Overall, this show is dramatic, warm and witty, clever and the best period show on TV! (Maggie Smith is fantastic, as usual!) -TheAlice12 x
Teen, 13 years old Written bygirl13 March 31, 2012

Great show!

I LOVE this show! Every Sunday my mom and I watch this every week together.
Kid, 11 years old August 12, 2013

Best show I've ever watched in the entire period of my life (it's that good)

Oh my god favorite show of all time! Better than the Simpsons (well the shows are completely different genres but so what)! Downton Abbey couldn't be better- it's NOT predictable, educational, historically accurate, has great acting, relatable characters, different relationships, exposure to gay lifestyles- which doesn't bother me- and finally the show is like CRAZY addictive. I can't stop watching it and the lack of episodes (about 30 or 40 in total) drives me even CRAZIER. The show is as talked about as Lost, and everyone knows Lost. Do yourself a gigantic favor and turn on Downton you won't regret it. People make a big deal about homosexual stuff but it adds a lot to the series and if you feel uncomfortable look away it is shameful to not like the show because of it.
Kid, 12 years old January 13, 2013

out standing!!!!!!!!!!

omg! amazing tv show!!!!! each episode make people want to see more! for once, there is a well writen show that doesn't have pointless violence!!!
Kid, 12 years old January 1, 2017

Okay for mature 8 year olds.

Downton Abbey is a fantastic show that I have been watching since I was 9 years old. This show is absolutely awesome, from the below ground servants hall to the glittering Highclere castle above this show is purely fantastic! In my family were not really worried about gay kissing and such but some people might be so beware. One of the main characters is also horribly raped which may be disturbing to some audiences. All in all this a fantastic period drama and a must see
Teen, 16 years old Written byNapoleon15 November 13, 2013

Watch the First 2 seasons then STOP

The first two seasons are amazing. Fantastic characters, great setting, and an engaging plot. Then in season 3 the show plummets. Key characters are killed of and the show becomes a soup opera. By the fourth season, its a different show. A key character is violently raped and everyone is having an affair. Don't bother.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysisterwhocares February 22, 2012

BEST. SHOW. EVER!!!!!

This is literally the best show I have ever watched on television. It is absorbing, suspensful, fascinating, and (heads up, parents!) quite educational as well. You can learn so much about aristocrasy in WWI-era (and afterwards) just by watching this show. It is quite entertaining, the acting and storylines are fantastic, and I love how each character, no matter how obscure they are, always get the spotlight at some point in time. I especially love Lady Grantham, who is always sweet to everybody, and the indispensable grandmother (played by Oscar-winning Maggie Smith, aka Proffessor McGonnagal for any Harry Potter fans out there). Oh, and there is also Mr. Bates, who in my opinion is an excellent role model, since he in the beginning refuses to marry or have overt relationships with Anna to protect her honor (a true gentleman). Note: the plots are very complex and the show can be quite lengthy at times, so that is why I recommended it for 15+, not 13+. Contentwise, it is appropriate for 13+, however. I just believe that it will catch more the interest of older teens than younger ones. Overall, great show, great plot, and very educational!
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 July 18, 2015

Great!

I watch it with my dad a lot. There are a lot of characters and sometimes it's confusing to keep it all straight. overall it's a great show for older kids or teens looking for a period drama to watch!
Teen, 16 years old Written byAvonleaAnne November 6, 2013

Good for 12+ maybe younger

I think I was about thirteen when I started watching this? It's very tame in violence, there are no swear words (there might be a few, but they are so rare I can only remember one). While Mary isn't the best role model, she grows and matures to be a much better person. The youngest sister, and one of the maids, Anna, are incredibly lovely and someone you would definitely look up to. Mrs. Hughes, the housekeeper is every definition of a strong and capable woman. Edith, the middle sister can be spiteful but grows SO much over the seasons. Many other characters are positive as well, such as Patmore, Daisy, William... There are positive messages as well-- the most recent episode was lovely, themed with friendship. There is humor too, plenty of it. O'Brien and Thomas the Evil (or so they think) Ladies Maid and Footman are wonderfully. "I'll go fetch my button box," says O'Brien, looking as though that's some tremendous secret. It's truly hilarious (sometimes O'Brien is truly spiteful to someone, but most of the time, she's just a laugh and Thomas ALWAYS is. He'd never do something to really hurt a person) It is beautifully filmed and the costumes are lovely. Each series spans interesting parts of history and usually has social issues (woman's rights, word war I (there is hardly any violence shown for that), the Irish movement, etc) which are good to learn and discuss. In the third season, we address Thomas's sexuality more, and the storyline is wonderfully well done, so there is always the difficulties of being gay, especially then to discuss. Beloved characters do die, and one of the deaths, while not at all shocking by being gory or anything (none of the deaths are), is done in a traumatic way, because the person is in so much pain. But that's not until the 3rd season, and you will hopefully see it coming. Fellowes knows how to make us cry, though never showing anything. The first, second, and third seasons are all very tame in terms of romance (it's really refreshing) . In the fourth season (massive spoilers ahead) there is a rape of a beloved character. NOTHING is shown, it is off screen, but the man does hit her on screen, and says some very creepy things later, and the aftermath leaves you with a shaky and sick feeling-- I'd say it was well done though, it wasn't just done for drama. But I'd skip over it and explain to your kids if they 14 and under (I'm 16 and left until it was over). In the first season, there is that corpse which has resulted from a man dying in character's bed-- in my opinion he forced her a little, though she never seems to think so. Something to keep in mind there, and point out to your kids, especially girls, that ANYTHING even as small as that counts as rape. All in all, it's a very tame, very enjoyable and beautiful drama. I know I might not have made it sound that way, but when you put the fact you hardly see anything, and those moments are over 4 seasons of eight episodes, it's quite good. I'd highly recommend for family's to watch it together. ^__^ I adore it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bynerdkinz March 30, 2013

Really Depends on What Your Household is Like...

I love this show, but I don't think I would feel comfortable having a kid younger than me watch it. Partly because of the sexual content, but mainly because most kids wouldn't understand what was happening, anyway. Smoking is in it, but Downtown Abbey is set in a time period where it was wide-spread, so they are just being historically-accurate.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLenox-Mae R. February 16, 2017

Probably my favorite show!

My family and I just finished watching the entire series, and were not disappointed. It's full of drama, romance, and humor, and keeps you begging for more. There are topics in the show that are not very appropriate for younger viewers. The first episode has a gay kissing scene in it (my parents made us leave the room so we never saw it). The same guy tries to make the moves on another and is rejected. Another man forces himself on a main character and we never saw that part either. Everything after those first few episodes we never had to leave the room again. Later in the show, its WWI, and the house is used as a recovery center for soldiers and can be disturbing. There is a very sad and disturbing death of a well loved character. I was very nervous and uncomfortable during that scene. There was a part also where a character vomits blood everywhere and is sent to the hospital. A character is raped and you can hear the sounds and see the character after it happened but the attack is not shown. Again, slightly disturbing and my 11 year old sister didn't know what was going on. A character is shown fully clothed in a bathtub with blood everywhere (he slit his wrists). A character gets pregnant with someone she isn't married to and another goes away with a man and to avoid pregnancy uses birth control. They drink and smoke which is normal for the period also. I wanted to include everything so you could have all of the warnings berforehand. Again, this show is amazing and probably my favorite of all time (except Spongebob of course ☺).
Teen, 15 years old Written bygwtwgirl February 4, 2017

Best TV Drama!

Downton Abbey has many adult circumstances, but never anything graphic. If you have a mature, young teen who is interested in English history/the 1920s, this is a must watch. It has an outstanding cast, perfect period costumes, and a wonderful set of Highclere Castle. There are a lot of areas for discussion regarding characters choices and situations, but nothing too heavy. You'll definitely be sad once you're finished watching all the seasons!
Kid, 11 years old May 21, 2016

Brilliant

Although there were some scenes where there were remains of violence, overall I was very impressed. There wasn't anything that I feel as if I shouldn't and didn't want to see.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThatTeenCritic February 2, 2016

Classy period drama with many adult themes

I love this television series, and I believe that it is appropriate for ages 13 and up. My 13-year-old (very mature) sister watches it with me and we both enjoy it. Homosexuality is a very minor theme in the first season, and a guest dies in the bed of an unmarried young woman (his corpse is moved from her bedroom to his). Several beloved characters die, and in season four, one character is violently assaulted. Characters do drink, and occasionally get drunk, but this is not a major issue. Each character is flawed and very relatable. This show is wonderful and I love it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBananadrops January 25, 2016
I started watching at 10. I enjoyed watching, but my parents would have to skip some parts. The main thing about watching it at such a young age is that some of the plot line is hard to follow and understand.
Teen, 15 years old Written byduddlemia December 2, 2015

My all time favourite television show!

A lot of time, money and effort has clearly been spent on this show and it was worth every penny. Every moment is beautifully captured and the storylines vary each series. Each character is unique and have dynamic and gripping stories. Everything from the costumes to the music is perfect and there is something so magical about watching an episode of Downton.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCHB_FF5fan June 25, 2015

abbey in the 1910s though 1920s

history, war talk, jail and getting family in and out of jail,amazing costumes, no sex (most of the time),drug addictions trying to over come,family pull apart then come back toghther,fights for rights,losing family and characters you grown to love, hunting and life
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuperman13 May 24, 2015

Incredible Show. Simply amazing.

This has made its place in history as one of the best shows of all time. It is superb. I am addicted to this show. After the first episode, I was hooked. It has some mature content (prostitution, sex, murder etc.), but it is only implied. Also, it is more geared toward adults. Kids may not be able to sit through and enjoy an episode. All this being said, it is still a stellar series.