A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this website.
What parents need to know
What's it about?
8NOTES.COM offers free sheet music for more than 25 instruments. Kids also can access lessons on piano chords, drum beats, and other musical components from popular songs and music theory. Other tools and resources include an online guitar tuner and guitar and piano chord charts, which feature audio files so kids can hear chords before playing them. They also can read musician biographies spanning from Beethoven to Beyonce and look up terms in a musical glossary. A $20 annual subscription provides access to longer, more advanced pieces.
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about how songs are made; songwriting involves several steps. Ask your child to compare that process to the steps used to complete a household task.
- What is your child's favorite song? Musical taste involves someone's opinion.
Discuss how music can help you express feelings. Can your child identify the intent behind a song on the radio? What emotions does it seem to describe or convey?
- Subjects: Language & Reading: discussion, following directions, reading
Arts: music, rhythm
- Skills: Thinking & Reasoning: applying information, part-whole relationships, thinking critically
Self-Direction: effort, personal growth
Communication: multiple forms of expression
- Genre: Educational
- Topics: Music and Sing-Along
- Price: The basic 8notes.com registration is free. A $20 annual subscription also provides access to a library of additional pieces. School subscriptions, which provide unlimited access for all students within an institution, are $95 a year.
- Pricing structure: Paid, Free
- Last updated: October 21, 2018
Themes & Topics
Browse titles with similar subject matter.
For kids who love Music
Our editors recommend
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.