Parent reviews for ABCmouse.com

Busy but thorough K–2 curriculum with reward store.

Parent of a 1 and 4-year-old Written byCdub88 July 19, 2013

Disappointed. Needs improvement.

ABCmouse sounded interesting, so I decided to register for my four-year old son. He really enjoys playing games on playstation, iPad and online (ie Fisherprice, Cartnoon Network). He also enjoys our own learning activities- we regularly do "homework", where he learns to read and write four to five-letter words, as well as math games, memory games, etc. I thought he would love this site. At first, it was neat to make an avatar that looked like him, and watch it move along the learning path, but it was way too easy. So, I took it to the next level...still too easy. ABCmouse apparently believes that math games for preschoolers should be counting to 10 and number identification. Dispite this, I let him carry on with the lessons. Later I noticed that there are quite a few "art" lessons, which was just frustrating. More than most, I appreciate the arts (my degree is in art, for crying outloud!) and I couldn't bare it. It was coloring pages, tons of them. The pointer had terrible delay for all coloring sessions and my son and I found it both boring and aggrevating. Maybe it's for some kids, but I don't see how coloring in line art could possibly teach anything to anyone. My son sees them as a chore. Why not put in an at-home craft activity, or have them look at actual art by real artists? After completing the "art activity", it wouldn't allow us to move forward unless we saved the darn thing. I customized the activities to exlude all coloring, but still, it just seemed so slow and boring. Games took so long to load, stories were slow and uninteresting, songs bored you to sleep. My advice is to save your money, download a few applications for your tablet or phone. If you can't do that, then check out Umizoomi videos at the library and check out a few beginner books. I can't say enough for the public library system. If you do have the ability to download apps for your child to use, I highly recomend Monkey Preschool Lunchbox for reading, Umizoomi Race Around the City for preschool math, any jigsaw puzzle apps for problem-solving, heck, there are tons of resources to keep your kid learning and motivated. ABCmouse just isn't quite there in terms of site layout, smooth navigation, and appropriate activities that will hold a preschooler's attention. I would have happily offered my suggestions when I cancelled, but they didn't provide a section to explain my issue, only a few boxes that gave you ONE option to check. If ABCmouse really wanted to improve their site, they should send a survey, or give parents a comment section.
Parent Written bytheresel November 7, 2014

Ridiculed and laughed at by customer service!??

I had been using ABC mouse on subscription for 9 months when my card was declined as I had to change it due to fraud. I contacted them and gave my new credycard info to reactivate the account. They overcharged me with fees for no reason and I was LAUGHED and ridiculed by their customer service representative. This is absolutely unacceptable business ethics and I will pursue a complaint with the BBB. I am a business owner myself and would fire any person of my staff who would treat a client this way-shame on you ABC Mouse!

Adult Written bykhatch123 July 26, 2014

Major SCAM

We did the free trial and my son (5 1/2) loved it. So we got the year program. After 6 months he never wanted to play it, so we cancelled....several times. He's 7 now. We still get billed every month, we have called and emailed our cancellation multiple times. We've notified our credit card amd they continue to refund our account (the cc company, not abc mouse). The program is fine and the kids (7 & 3) get on it every now and then (since we are still paying for the stupid thing), but it's certainly not worth the $144 we've been billed so far.

Buyer beward!

Adult Written bySusan Z. May 26, 2017

The worst experience ever! The company is a Scam! Terrible manager and human resource management!

The website crashed all the time and not worth the money. Go to find other better free kid website. Why pay for this ABC Mouse useless plan and poison your kids mind? My friend used to work there. She told me it was a horrible working environment and the worst management team. They don't care about anyone other than money. That is why they are going bankruptcy and getting all the bad reviews. It is a fake scam website.
Parent of a 5-year-old Written byNoel623 March 26, 2015

BUYER BEWARE

If you purchase an annual subscription it will be set to automatically renew. ABCMouse.com does not send you a notification ahead of time to let you know that your subscription is about to be renewed. I have a lot on my mind and a lot of things happen over the course of a year, so having the date I began my subscription at the top of my list is a ridiculous notion. Also, ABCMouse.com refuses to give any sort of refund even if you cancel the very next day after your subscription is renewed. So, now I am paying for a full year of something my daughter no longer uses. This company could at least have the common courtesy of notifying its customers BEFORE the subscription is renewed instead of letting the customer find out when it appears on their credit card bill.

Parent Written byCarrie2020 March 7, 2015

Beware

My grandson really enjoys learning with ABC Mouse.

I do have a real problem with ABC Mouse. You aren't able to ever speak with a live person. I pressed every button available. I left a message 3 days ago about my account. I registered for the 30 day free trial gave them my credit card and they went ahead and deducted payment for a year's membership. Because of the fact that there is not a live person to speak with, I have to go to my bank and file a complaint to get my money back. Parents beware. It is really strange that they have no one you can talk to about any type of question and they do not answermessages. Who runs this business? To me this is fraudulent.

Privacy & Safety
Parent of a 7-year-old Written byConnie S. September 16, 2013

Kept Billing My credit card even after cancelation

We canceled our trial membership early because my almost 4 year old found the site too difficult to navigate. He had a hard time working the mouse and following their "path". The content was engaging enough for his 7 year old sister to navigate with him. You need a computer savvy 3-4 year old to get the most use of the site at that early age. Irregardless--I canceled my trial membership early, even got a "why are you leaving survey" and they kept billing me. For that reason alone, I don't trust this company.
Adult Written byAndrea1016 February 12, 2019

Kids love it!

We try to limit screen time, but didn't want the time they were using ipads/computer to be wasted watching toy unboxing or other useless programming. We decided to give ABC Mouse a try and our kids (ages 3, 5, and 7) love it! The activities really engage them at their level and they love being able to "buy" things with the tickets they earn. So glad we purchased!
Adult Written byskelley2261 January 17, 2019

Broad array of learning activities

What I like about ABCmouse is that it has such a broad and diverse range of learning activities that children who notoriously tire of any activity, can find other activities or areas of the site where they are engaged and learning.
Parent Written bysosaial November 29, 2014

Not worth the money

This was a waste of time. You can get most of the activities from PBS kids. The color also annoying. When you cancel your subscription, its a long process. Not worth your money.
Adult Written bySonshinemama November 13, 2014

Customer No Service

I signed up my daughter for this as it was offered by our charter school for her homeschooling curriculum. She spends a lot of time on it and they have some cute songs but I agree with other reviewers that the content is not academically driven. My greatest concern is that content I have opted out of continues to show up on my children's pages. When I called the customer no service number, the answer I received was that they would let the writers know. Not a, "Sorry our Frankenstein scared your sweet 4 year old girl." I have opted out of certain content and they continue to put it on her screen. This should be a big red flag for any parent. Did you notice, also, that they don't even give out their customer no service number? There is a reason for that! Don't call this number expecting any help or answers.

Privacy & Safety
Adult Written byLinda Lav June 12, 2019

Signing my granddaughter up for ABC Mouse was the best decision we ever made. Thank you so much ABC Mouse.

My granddaughter starting using ABC Mouse at age 3 and was immediately hook! One day we were in our backyard and she said “Look Grandma there is a Monarch Butterfly” I said how do you know that? She said “because it is orange and black” yes dear it is,
but how did you know that? She looked at me with a smile and said “ABCMouse.com!” On another day she came to ask me if I knew that the Sun was a star in our solar system, I looked at her and again I asked, how do you know that. Again, she smiled and said “ABCMouse.com!
Fast forward 6 years - At the end of her 4th grade school year we received her Reading Comprehension Assessment from her school - her score was just below ready for college and her Math results show her as being ready for the 10th grade! I believe ABCMouse played a big part in these results.

Thank you very much!
Adult Written bySam A. February 16, 2018

Bad Policies

Do not approve of their cancellation policy.
Adult Written byEmilylovesben April 22, 2015

furious!

Recently I saw a commercial
For "abcmouse.com, shortly after seeing several commercials with promising results I decided to check it out online. It offered "one month free" trial, by entering credit card information it would t charge your card, if you canceld your membership before the end of that month. The targeted age is 2+ my son being 27 months I thought would be interested in it. When I signed up for the "free month" I immediately showed my son and we together attempted to navigate through the site. I found it difficult to understand how it operated. The lessons were more for 3-4 + and many of the lessons required that you purchase more on top of the monthly fee, if you didn't many of the "games" required this.
My son wasn't the slightest bit interested.
So i decided to just go ahead and cancel it as I found it to be dissipointing.
I checked my banking information that day and there was a 75$ charge made to my account!!!!! I have emailed the company twice and NOT one person has contacted me. I am a single mother and can't afford to have 75$ charged when it was not supposed to be!!!! What a load of BULL!
DO NOT DO THE TRIAL!!!! Scam!

Adult Written bynpuglisi February 18, 2015

Disappointed at Cancellation Policy

We ordered ABC mouse for my 4 year old son last year, the program is okay but we stopped using it approx 6 months ago and our credit card got automatically charged $59.95 again this year. I called to cancel but Beth from customer service said they could only reimburse me $44.05 to have it canceled even though I told her we no longer use the program. I was very disappointed so I wanted other parents to be aware of this.

Parent of a 5-year-old Written bysunniebaye February 2, 2011

Perfect for preschoolers!

I have three daughters who use this daily for preschool. My 15 month old and 3 yr old use it with my assistance. My 4 yr old uses it independently. My 4 year old is more than ready for kindergarten. I couldn't say that before she started using ABC mouse 6 weeks ago. We are thrilled with the progress she's made!!! She LOVES using the site too!! We would give it more than five stars if we could.
Adult Written bybrburrell August 26, 2020

Customer Service WOWS!

I had an issue accessing my account and had a hard time doing a password reset and called customer service. I spoke with Dawn E. and she was able to get me back in via email password reset, give me a better subscription rate and also gave me 2 months retro active access for time I wasn't able to access my account. She was very pleasant to deal with and very helpful. Thanks ABC Mouse!!
Adult Written byhabi9 February 21, 2019

A new way to learn that's fun for kids!

This is a great learning website and it's worth the money

Parent Written byAshtyn M. April 23, 2018

Bad customer service!

I subscribed a little over a year ago for a whole year, which I didn't know they auto renew. But anyhow, I got on it that day to check it out. My kids didn't want to use it so it got forgotten. When it became a year they charged me again and I questioned it and cancelled it, they sent me a response saying that they would refund my 59.95 but haven't even attempted to refund me or email me back! And since I never even used the service for that year I think I should be entitled to my additional 59.95 because that's not right that they are scamming families like that. They know I never touched it for the whole year plus they're still going to keep charging. Give me my refund and I'll leave ABC mouse alone.
Adult Written byMasterchiefv86 T. April 13, 2018

WONT REFUND MONEY

I had NEVER gave them permission to take the money from my card and they wont refund my money. Yes they canceled the account but i was charge $59 for a yr member ship I WANT MY MONEY BACK