Parent reviews for ABCmouse.com

Busy but thorough K-2 curriculum with reward store.

Wondering if ABCmouse.com is OK for your kids?

Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations.

Join Plus now

Parent of a 1 and 4-year-old Written byCdub88 July 19, 2013

Disappointed. Needs improvement.

ABCmouse sounded interesting, so I decided to register for my four-year old son. He really enjoys playing games on playstation, iPad and online (ie Fisherprice, Cartnoon Network). He also enjoys our own learning activities- we regularly do "homework", where he learns to read and write four to five-letter words, as well as math games, memory games, etc. I thought he would love this site. At first, it was neat to make an avatar that looked like him, and watch it move along the learning path, but it was way too easy. So, I took it to the next level...still too easy. ABCmouse apparently believes that math games for preschoolers should be counting to 10 and number identification. Dispite this, I let him carry on with the lessons. Later I noticed that there are quite a few "art" lessons, which was just frustrating. More than most, I appreciate the arts (my degree is in art, for crying outloud!) and I couldn't bare it. It was coloring pages, tons of them. The pointer had terrible delay for all coloring sessions and my son and I found it both boring and aggrevating. Maybe it's for some kids, but I don't see how coloring in line art could possibly teach anything to anyone. My son sees them as a chore. Why not put in an at-home craft activity, or have them look at actual art by real artists? After completing the "art activity", it wouldn't allow us to move forward unless we saved the darn thing. I customized the activities to exlude all coloring, but still, it just seemed so slow and boring. Games took so long to load, stories were slow and uninteresting, songs bored you to sleep. My advice is to save your money, download a few applications for your tablet or phone. If you can't do that, then check out Umizoomi videos at the library and check out a few beginner books. I can't say enough for the public library system. If you do have the ability to download apps for your child to use, I highly recomend Monkey Preschool Lunchbox for reading, Umizoomi Race Around the City for preschool math, any jigsaw puzzle apps for problem-solving, heck, there are tons of resources to keep your kid learning and motivated. ABCmouse just isn't quite there in terms of site layout, smooth navigation, and appropriate activities that will hold a preschooler's attention. I would have happily offered my suggestions when I cancelled, but they didn't provide a section to explain my issue, only a few boxes that gave you ONE option to check. If ABCmouse really wanted to improve their site, they should send a survey, or give parents a comment section.
Parent Written bytheresel November 7, 2014

Ridiculed and laughed at by customer service!??

I had been using ABC mouse on subscription for 9 months when my card was declined as I had to change it due to fraud. I contacted them and gave my new credycard info to reactivate the account. They overcharged me with fees for no reason and I was LAUGHED and ridiculed by their customer service representative. This is absolutely unacceptable business ethics and I will pursue a complaint with the BBB. I am a business owner myself and would fire any person of my staff who would treat a client this way-shame on you ABC Mouse!

Adult Written bySusan Z. May 26, 2017

The worst experience ever! The company is a Scam! Terrible manager and human resource management!

The website crashed all the time and not worth the money. Go to find other better free kid website. Why pay for this ABC Mouse useless plan and poison your kids mind? My friend used to work there. She told me it was a horrible working environment and the worst management team. They don't care about anyone other than money. That is why they are going bankruptcy and getting all the bad reviews. It is a fake scam website.
Parent of a 5-year-old Written byNoel623 March 26, 2015

BUYER BEWARE

If you purchase an annual subscription it will be set to automatically renew. ABCMouse.com does not send you a notification ahead of time to let you know that your subscription is about to be renewed. I have a lot on my mind and a lot of things happen over the course of a year, so having the date I began my subscription at the top of my list is a ridiculous notion. Also, ABCMouse.com refuses to give any sort of refund even if you cancel the very next day after your subscription is renewed. So, now I am paying for a full year of something my daughter no longer uses. This company could at least have the common courtesy of notifying its customers BEFORE the subscription is renewed instead of letting the customer find out when it appears on their credit card bill.

Adult Written bykhatch123 July 26, 2014

Major SCAM

We did the free trial and my son (5 1/2) loved it. So we got the year program. After 6 months he never wanted to play it, so we cancelled....several times. He's 7 now. We still get billed every month, we have called and emailed our cancellation multiple times. We've notified our credit card amd they continue to refund our account (the cc company, not abc mouse). The program is fine and the kids (7 & 3) get on it every now and then (since we are still paying for the stupid thing), but it's certainly not worth the $144 we've been billed so far.

Buyer beward!

Parent Written byCarrie2020 March 7, 2015

Beware

My grandson really enjoys learning with ABC Mouse.

I do have a real problem with ABC Mouse. You aren't able to ever speak with a live person. I pressed every button available. I left a message 3 days ago about my account. I registered for the 30 day free trial gave them my credit card and they went ahead and deducted payment for a year's membership. Because of the fact that there is not a live person to speak with, I have to go to my bank and file a complaint to get my money back. Parents beware. It is really strange that they have no one you can talk to about any type of question and they do not answermessages. Who runs this business? To me this is fraudulent.

Parent of a 7-year-old Written byConnie S. September 16, 2013

Kept Billing My credit card even after cancelation

We canceled our trial membership early because my almost 4 year old found the site too difficult to navigate. He had a hard time working the mouse and following their "path". The content was engaging enough for his 7 year old sister to navigate with him. You need a computer savvy 3-4 year old to get the most use of the site at that early age. Irregardless--I canceled my trial membership early, even got a "why are you leaving survey" and they kept billing me. For that reason alone, I don't trust this company.
Parent Written bysosaial November 29, 2014

Not worth the money

This was a waste of time. You can get most of the activities from PBS kids. The color also annoying. When you cancel your subscription, its a long process. Not worth your money.
Adult Written bySonshinemama November 13, 2014

Customer No Service

I signed up my daughter for this as it was offered by our charter school for her homeschooling curriculum. She spends a lot of time on it and they have some cute songs but I agree with other reviewers that the content is not academically driven. My greatest concern is that content I have opted out of continues to show up on my children's pages. When I called the customer no service number, the answer I received was that they would let the writers know. Not a, "Sorry our Frankenstein scared your sweet 4 year old girl." I have opted out of certain content and they continue to put it on her screen. This should be a big red flag for any parent. Did you notice, also, that they don't even give out their customer no service number? There is a reason for that! Don't call this number expecting any help or answers.

Adult Written bySam A. February 16, 2018

Bad Policies

Do not approve of their cancellation policy.
Adult Written byEmilylovesben April 22, 2015

furious!

Recently I saw a commercial
For "abcmouse.com, shortly after seeing several commercials with promising results I decided to check it out online. It offered "one month free" trial, by entering credit card information it would t charge your card, if you canceld your membership before the end of that month. The targeted age is 2+ my son being 27 months I thought would be interested in it. When I signed up for the "free month" I immediately showed my son and we together attempted to navigate through the site. I found it difficult to understand how it operated. The lessons were more for 3-4 + and many of the lessons required that you purchase more on top of the monthly fee, if you didn't many of the "games" required this.
My son wasn't the slightest bit interested.
So i decided to just go ahead and cancel it as I found it to be dissipointing.
I checked my banking information that day and there was a 75$ charge made to my account!!!!! I have emailed the company twice and NOT one person has contacted me. I am a single mother and can't afford to have 75$ charged when it was not supposed to be!!!! What a load of BULL!
DO NOT DO THE TRIAL!!!! Scam!

Adult Written bynpuglisi February 18, 2015

Disappointed at Cancellation Policy

We ordered ABC mouse for my 4 year old son last year, the program is okay but we stopped using it approx 6 months ago and our credit card got automatically charged $59.95 again this year. I called to cancel but Beth from customer service said they could only reimburse me $44.05 to have it canceled even though I told her we no longer use the program. I was very disappointed so I wanted other parents to be aware of this.

Parent Written byAshtyn M. April 23, 2018

Bad customer service!

I subscribed a little over a year ago for a whole year, which I didn't know they auto renew. But anyhow, I got on it that day to check it out. My kids didn't want to use it so it got forgotten. When it became a year they charged me again and I questioned it and cancelled it, they sent me a response saying that they would refund my 59.95 but haven't even attempted to refund me or email me back! And since I never even used the service for that year I think I should be entitled to my additional 59.95 because that's not right that they are scamming families like that. They know I never touched it for the whole year plus they're still going to keep charging. Give me my refund and I'll leave ABC mouse alone.
Adult Written byMasterchiefv86 T. April 13, 2018

WONT REFUND MONEY

I had NEVER gave them permission to take the money from my card and they wont refund my money. Yes they canceled the account but i was charge $59 for a yr member ship I WANT MY MONEY BACK
Parent of a 2 and 5-year-old Written bymin f. February 10, 2018

ABC Mouse is a scam

It sickens me that so many parents are losing money on this.

First off, ABC Mouse sucks. It has a terrible user interface, and my kid hated it.

Secondly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to cancel. DO NOT sign up for this with your credit card, use PayPal if you have to. I did and was able to get my money back, but I know several other parents who used a debit card and never got their money back and actually had to cancel their card to get it stop taking their money!

I found out later that this website is run by Scientologists.

I reported them to the better business bureau.
Adult Written byM M. February 7, 2018

Unable to get refund. Did not give permission to take yearly amount. No refunds until 2019. I want my 79 back!

I did not authorize abcmouse to take $79 for this year. There is no one to talk to. All computer generated. The account is cancelked but can be accessed until 2019. I thought it was great for my grandkids but no one uses it anymore. This now seems like a scam. Beware and only pay per month! Extremely disappointed.
Adult Written byDavid G. February 5, 2018

Cancellation is a nightmare

I’m a teacher of 8 years. There are so many FREE educational websites used in the classroom, but I wanted to try this for my 4 year old. It turns out she doesn’t like to use it. After trying to cancel the subscription for the last few days, I’m ready to throw my phone through a window. Cancellation should be just as easy as signing up, but they make it SUPER complicated.
Adult Written bySwimmerMom November 27, 2017

Don't do it

I liked it at first, and my son enjoyed it when he was 3 - he's 6 now. I'm warning you right away, they will keep billing you longer after you have canceled. Don't sign up with them, it won't let you delete your card at all, and you will have to file a complaint of fraud with your credit card company, because ABC mouse doesn't do refunds, even if they are in the wrong. STAY AWAY.

Adult Written byMoe S. November 21, 2017

Canceled!!! They kept stealing!!!!

How I feel about the program doesn’t matter. When I cancel any membership/subscription you should not he billing my account. Continuously billing after cancellation is stealing.

***Avoid this greedy company. They push out those friendly commercials to suck you and the kids in and do not honor their own cancellation policy.

Adult Written byTara G. November 1, 2017

BILLING IS A SCAM

I thought it would be nice for a YEAR!!! 2 years later they are still charging me and won't refund the year I just paid for. I do not remember signing up for 3 years!!!! It must be in the small print. Don't sign your life away. It was great for $60, but Im now at $180 and haven't used it in 2 years!! Not happy!