Kid reviews for GaiaOnline

Iffy content + constant consumerism = caution.

Teen, 17 years old Written byNlandry2017 April 3, 2016

NOT FOR KIDS 5-15

Sexual items, Gender falsity, It has been proven this site is a site where a lot of pedophiles hangout.... Sex is a common theme, There are some players who actually do sex in their gaian homes. This site 100% graphic, there are items that condone smoking (Item Name: Cig). Parents I would Highly suggest for children and teens 16 and under another site Called Roblox. While for teens 17 and up this game can be suitable. There is also an insite forums area where 50% of topics discuss Nudity, Drugs, etc

Teen, 17 years old Written bykfsilverwind October 17, 2013

Gaia's downfall.

This site is slowly turning into a game completely driven by money, for the sake of money, for the money. Here is a post written by one of many dissatisfied players in this community.

This is a shoutout to ALL GAIANS

Everyone who knows who this CEO is, we need to start spreading the word, and destroy his reputation. By his hand, the stocks are plummeting, players are leaving, and the site is slowly, but surely going into the pit of no return. I plead that people who know his name and info will spread the word around for the sake and the legacy of this site, so this man and his team may never wreck such a beautiful thing like this site that has been to us a refuge, a hangout, and for me, a childhood and a way to find my self out of a terrible depression. For those of you who have met your friends here, your girlfriends, etc etc, who have fond memories of this place, this site is not something we can lose without causing that man to regret what he did. Once again, I stress that we have to find a way to stop this man, or else more poor sites like GAIA will fall to his money-hungry schemes. Spread the word, let people know! Let them know what this new CEO has done, what he considers us as, not people, but things that he can extort money from, as things that he can toy with, then throw away. That is all I have to say, and if I get banned, I get banned with the satisfaction that I did something, that I was able to do something before I was removed, by force, from this site.

Let us be heard! I will not back down till this Gary can never obtain another job ever again. For those who feel the same, spread this everywhere. I for sure will.

Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2013

It's a super fun site. But there's a few, just a few, things to avoid.

I've never actually been on Gaia before, but I've heard much about it (BOXXY<3). I've been to the main page and a forum or two, but that's about it. I don't have an account, because, well, I follow rules. I'm not going to juvy by the internet. So anwyway, the site is rated 13+, but 12+ seems more reasonable, considering pre-teenhood is where you find out more... stuff. So it's not like they need to be protected from the site, just the forums that contain.. you know..
There's language and inappropriate content but only on certain things. I really like Gaia, and I can't wait to reach the minimum age! If you let someone join Gaia, just watch them and see if you can trust them with it. If you see one curse word, don't immediately turn off the computer. Just see how it goes, because it's not just the other members that make people see these things. It's also the child, who looks at it in the first place. Okay? Okay.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMeAndRice July 8, 2012

Could be better...

Gaia online is a nice game, but it is far from being the best.
I love the forum. Despite the rudeness and vulgarity.
I like the fact that we can share our art creations with people, and receive their feedback to improve, i saw a lot of talented people.
What I think should be improved is the staffs, I've been hacked, despite the tons of emails sent to have my account back. They never helped me, and until now I have received no reply to recover my lost user, which is really sad, because i worked really hard to build this user.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydavi56 April 15, 2012

very iffy site for the more mature teen

while this site is a very funky and trendy site, there are many problems with it
- the forums don't seem to be monitored that much
- avatar's names can be sexual or otherwise explicit
- kids may be persuaded to post pics or videos of themselves
- there is no monitoring on profiles etc so people can cuss and be explicit all they want. they can say anything on there.

but if your teen is mature and you think they can deal with this type of content then it's a nice little hangout that encourages creativity.

Teen, 13 years old Written byYuzuki Kyomizu February 25, 2012

I

I absolutly LOOOOOVE gaia online. it is a really awesome website. I have been playing since 2008 and i am still hooked. there games are super addictive i personally like zOMG! it is really well made for a online MMORPG game. You can do all sorts of really awesome things to your avatar and I don't think I have EVER seen the same avatar twice unless a) it was a noob. b) they did it on purpose or c) it was the same person. You can be really creative on that website, i think it encourages creativity more than any website I have seen. The only thing that you should never give out personal info (name, age, hometown... ect.)

Teen, 14 years old Written bytskimii January 5, 2012

It is a great site.

Gaia is wonderful, I've been on for over 4 years now. Yes people cyber, curse, and troll. But you should be mature enough not to let it bother you if you are on gaia. I have met nice people on there and I've met rude people. But it's the internet, people state their opinions. People are the same in the real world you know. If you just aren't getting gaia, the site is not for you. Overall I think it is great.

Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2011

Better than Habbo,

I like this site, much more better and appropriate than stupid old Habbo...
Teen, 15 years old Written byELLi3212 May 12, 2011

the people there are real scortillae

it's a good game i guess. the graphics are nice, you can make a cute avatar, whatever. the problem is mostly with the people. When you aren't being attacked by grammar nazis, chances are you'll meet the most shallow people ever. Or at least the most inept at talking on the internet. The nicest people are the "trolls" and they're shunned by most of the community because they don't take a kid's site as srs bsns.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySomeoneSomewhere March 29, 2011
everyone's so stupid when they rate this!
READ THE TERMS OF SERVICE BEFORE YOU PLAY idiots.
You MUST be over 13 years old. and YOU choose where to go and what to do. Stop blaming the site for your actions, or for what you did. I am personally a member of Gaia, and there's a ton of amazing, funny, and kind people there. You just have to explore. You choose to make it bad. Theres so many things to do on the site! You choose what to do, so don't complain about it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKimanaio March 27, 2011

Great for older kids, but if you are impressionable, stay away from some forums.

Oh, I love Gaia. It's a good social networking site, I personally like it better than facebook. There is some innapropriate language, and the site is rated PG-13 for a reason. If you are a fairly mature person, you will love this site, but if you're suceptable to things like drugs and some innapropriate comments and photos, I reccomend not going to forums that have those topics. There are plenty of other forums that are perfectly appropriate for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written byDo-You-Remember March 5, 2011

Mature Community With Good Things

The game has some sexual content and language that's pretty inappropriate, but I feel the parent is responsible for making sure the swear filter is ON. Some people are jerks, and they push you to buy "Gaia Cash" which is a premium currency to get exclusive items, but it's not required. Kids can learn how to draw and how to save money for something (using the game's free currency, gaia gold)

Teen, 16 years old Written byTheGreatNoOne February 27, 2011

Realer than real and PERFECT!

Gaia is a great website! It's aimed at anime fans and otakus, though. So if you don't like anime you probably wont like it as much. But it has all of the characteristics of the real world (and we all know that the real world is rated R), so soccer moms probably wont like it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycaseylovesyouh February 6, 2011

perfect for pre-teens, early teens, and teens

Love gaia, its great for kids before they start the internet kind of thing. Its dangerous but only when you choose for it to be, so just watch out alittle i guess. but its fine for young teens or preteens. adults can even use it .. but watch out for them too. Gaia is great I enjoy it still. There are sneaky ways of people cursing but the administraitors try to get rid of it so try not to worry. and Do not reveal too much on gaia, watch out for pedafiles. not just on this website its a cartoon website with alot of free will so dont let anyone get tooo personal with your child enless they have met them before the gaia expirence in real life. its a great way of expressing your kids minds with alot of fanasy and freedom. Thats alot of imagination which will make your kids alot more creative.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBethhhaanyy February 4, 2011
I recommend this to 15+. You should be able to tell who to talk with and who NOT to talk with. There are countless people on here who can try to cyber-bully you, and etc, but try to find those nice people and a good group of friends and you'll have plenty of fun on the site. But I think over-all the community is poisned with all those Low-Life Outcasts, who are over 25 and still have no life! Please keep young kids away!

Teen, 16 years old Written byfantasy_faerie January 26, 2011

Stay off the message boards, kids

CONCERNS

Violence: Violent talk is not a rare sight on Gaia message boards.
Sex: There are a lot of sexual discussions on Gaia message boards, and players may attempt to date you on the virtual world.
Language: Players on Gaia swear a lot.
Consumerism: Players may buy Gaia Cash to unlock exclusive items.
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Discussions of this nature are common on the Gaia message boards.

HIGHLIGHTS

Educational: Nope.
Safety: Since Gaia is so popular, there isn't really much security.
User Content: I don't know.
Teen, 14 years old Written byYukiCross57 December 29, 2010

Only Bad If You're LOOKING For Trouble

Gaia is only bad if you go snooping around in the wrong areas. I suggest NEVER go to the forums and be in alone areas as much as possible. The ONLY times I am in areas with other unknown gaians is in Towns but I am still a bit concerned even when I do that. But I usually only go to hang out with a friend and they usually go to a private room. They have a games section as well and I say that young ones crate a private room with a password and only allow friends they know in real life to join them in their private rooms. This also lowers the chance that you will talk to a stranger because in a few of the gaia games they have game chat. So just stay in areas away from other unknown gaians and you will be just fine.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjePomme November 11, 2010
A user for years, I know that Gaiaonline isn't bad at all unless you go to the wrong places. Yes, some people are A holes, but a lot of people are really nice.
Plus, I think how the review says people "13 - 18" is stupid. A lot of people are older than that. And while if you give out your password and stuff like that, you're bound to get hacked, if you have any brains it won't happen.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMagnenntae September 8, 2010

Good for ages 12+

I'd really recommend this website. Appropriate-ness ranges between the forums, the Chatterbox (CB) General Discussion (GD) and especially the Life Issues (LI) forums are the most vulgar.

The GD is one rank above CB as far as age appropriateness, with trolls posting pictures of other users and making negative comments, these threads are known as "PicDrops" or "UggoDrops", pictures drops can sometimes be positive.

Personally, I joined in early '05, I learned much about grammar and online etiquette during my stay. Eventually, as Gaia grew, with more users, website features and employees they needed more funding, they developed the "Cash Shop La Victore" in which focus moved from the $2.50 monthly collectibles to "Evolving Items" which evolve every month, each month containing multiple poses of virtual items for your avatar.
These EIs cost between $2.00 to $7.50

There are forums to discuss virtually everything, from sports, to music, to technology, to pop culture, to anime/manga and back.

The rating for the website is PG-13.

Kid, 9 years old September 1, 2010

cs

i'm starting to think the websites they put on cs(commen sense) the cs ppl dont even see the website!