Kid, 11 years old September 8, 2013

Do not try it! Will make your kid(s) cry!

Don't try it! If you make the teeniest mistake on IXL BOOM! You lose a LOT of points. It will make your kid(s) cry. I'm surprised you are giving it good reviews Common Sense Media. I'm in 6th grade and it made me cry.
Kid, 10 years old January 1, 2014

Ixl is NOT worth it!

I think ixl is not worth it! First of all, when you make it to the 70's or 80's, you earn 1 point and lose like 10 points. It helped me get good grades but it also wasted my time. I think Khan Academy is better than ixl. I would've rated ixl 2 stars if it wasn't so boring. My whole class are complaining about ixl. Also, 79 dollars or something for a year? I could use that money and add it to my savings for a new bike! Since i couldn't rate it 0 stars, i had to rate it one. Trust me, it is NOT FUN like it says on the advertisement. No offense, but ixl was the WORST learning website for me. I'm not trying to advertise Khan Academy here but if you want to learn, trust ME, ixl should be your last choice.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNeonNinja99 December 12, 2013

Don't use it.

Don't make your kids suffer through this online "Learning" website. It makes teens cry. It does NOT deserve positive reviews. I am assigned IXL homework in algebra and you barely get any points if you get the answer right and deducts a lot of points when you get just one wrong. I also know that when you get an answer wrong, the website gives you the right answer and explains how you messed up but it never applies to what you are actually learning to do. This website should not be used as an advanced learning tool, it is more like a mini torture device. It might be ok for small children but for the rest of us we all understand how badly your self-esteem can be crushed by something as simple as a website.
Kid, 12 years old February 24, 2014

THE WORST, MOST EMOTIONAL SITE I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED

What parents need to know: This site will flat-out make your kid CRY. If you get 1 question wrong, you go down by about 12 points. If you get one right, you only go up a couple of points. It takes a YEAR to finish one grade section, and I DON'T RECOMMEND IT TO ANY STUDENTS 9TH GRADE OR BELOW.
Teen, 13 years old Written byckaykay February 2, 2014

People Actually Pay For This Junk?!

As a student who uses IXL every day, this review is the honest truth. I find it a waste of my time. This website is making teachers not teach. Where did real teaching go? Also, it makes me feel dumb. If I make a mistake my score goes down by 10 points. Everyone makes mistakes, so why is it fair to punish a mistake? Don't buy this, waste of your money, buy your kid a new toy instead of this junk.
Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2014

THIS IS WHY I AM DEPRESSED IN LIFE!

In School, we use it. We all are ranked lowly because EVERYTIME YOU GET A QUESTION RIGHT, YOU GO UP ONE POINT! EVERYTIME YOU GET A QUESTION WRONG, YOU GO DOWN TEN POINTS! If you were to think about buying it for home, think again, because you are wrong!
Teen, 14 years old Written bysithijag August 14, 2014

THIS IS JUST TERRIBLE

if you enjoy your kids happiness then please stop your kids will commit suicide, go insane, destroy your house, etc. so if you hate your kids then please make them use this. i had to do this summer break and when i came to school everyone was out of it. it is very punishing and stressing. my eyes are red for more than 2 reasons
Teen, 14 years old Written byfrustrated student May 12, 2014

IXL is EVIL

Our school does IXL and it has made people in my class swear out loud. Stuff I don't even want to write down! JUST DON'T DO IT!!!! Please, have your kids be happy and not dread IXL. Some people just skip it in my class.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymathlover10123456789 July 7, 2014

this website owes me a new keyboard

Ok let me start off with this the IXL sins.it turned me into a demon.what ever teacher chooses this site is not very bright.
Teen, 14 years old Written byArabella September 17, 2014

I HIGHLY DISLIKE IXL

I AM BREAKING OUT I AM FREAKING OUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU GET 1 RIGHT YOU GET ONE POINT IF YOU GET ONE WRONG YOU GET MINUS 17 POINTS WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS IF YOUR SPENDING HOURS ON IT JUST TO GET WHAT KNOWLEDGE IF YOU WANT TO IMPRESS ME THEN WHY DONT YOU GET ONE RIGHT GET 2 WRITE GET ONE WRONG GET 2 WRONG THAT WILL MAKE MORE SENSE GEEZE
Teen, 15 years old Written bydeath_the_peter July 19, 2014

If you hate your kids...

OK, here's a rundown for the parents, if you tell your kid/s to do one hour of IXL, and the have high B's or low As, that means at least 4 different lessons, take it from me, I am moderately proficient in math, so my personal record max of completing 6 algebra 1 lessons in the span of 1 hour. When you reach a score of at least 85 or above, the system takes 10+ points for getting ONE wrong, and adds 1-3 points for every question answered correctly. DON'T GET THIS PROGRAM- YOU ARE GOING TO WASTE $80 A YEAR OR $10 A MONTH FOR THIS AND YOUR KIDS WILL HATE IT.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAm a typical kid April 15, 2014

Not the best

IXL could be a great site but it needs major improvements in the systems. The scoring, when you get to a high score, is completely devastating and time wasting. One question wrong? BOOM now you are 8-10 points lower. As a teen who has to get 300 points per section I can say sometimes this is extremely frustrating and it has brought me to tears more then once. Next the "rewards"... I simply hate that they are called this. Nothing is more rewarding then a digital picture right??? This along with the horrid scoring system makes this site pointless. But wait theirs more!! Their are tons of glitches that kill your score and frustrate everyone. Also the "explanations" are often wrong or offer no learning at all. Several that i have seen just had the problem and a quick and pointless explanation of the processes and when I followed the steps on the next question it was wrong. Over all i be-leave this site has some potential but it needs lots of fixes and revision to it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byK bug March 26, 2013

Great!!!!

Very fun and is a great learning tool! The best for all ages!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPoob March 1, 2015

Do I even have to explain why?

"Smartscore" HA, That's pretty funny. I slaved all day to get 7 lessons done. Each one took an hour each. This is how it goes: Get up to 79 points (our teacher only makes us go to 80) accidently forget a negative, back to 66. More like a dumbscore to me
Teen, 13 years old Written byNOIXL September 17, 2014

DON'T EVEN

Hello, My name is Mindy I hate IXL take it from a kid who loves Language Arts more than anything, its my favorite subject I love grammar I love it all but IXL is ruining my grade, I will try so hard, to improve what I want to do but no matter what I do I fail, I thought it was bad, for kids to be on the computer too much. IF you want to improve IXL, try only making it twenty questions or just saying wrong don't give the answer and make them try it again! I don't think this is a safe plus its so expensive just to make your kid feel bad about themselves its not a learning tool its to decrease their self esteem
Teen, 16 years old Written byNupTup April 15, 2014

Bad

It's bad don't do it.
Kid, 10 years old May 2, 2014

THIS WEBSITE IS BAD and is a waste of money

has problems with the points.
Kid, 9 years old February 25, 2015

Uh....

Personally, I think IXL is not the best place to learn. They don't give really positive messages to kids. For example, if your score is 85 and you get this one itsy bitsy question wrong, it will take away about 5 or more points. the messages they use are cheesy and stupid, plus if you get a question wrong, it won't explain it like a human. And it's really expensive. Parents, don't let your kids use IXL for improvement on Math or Language Arts. It will literally traumatize your kids as young as 4. PS: After spending a looooong time on IXL, all your children get as a prize is a computer-animated object. DON'T BUY! And to me, stupid and cheesy messages are like swear words.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybooknerd21 March 1, 2015

RAGE

Their program makes me want to smash the computer. It is so horrible. When you get a question right you go up x amount of points until you get to 100. But, if you miss a question or answer it wrong by a number or letter it will drop you a lot of points. It takes forever. Use abc mouse or something better.
Kid, 9 years old March 19, 2013

Put your thinking hat on!

Its very good , it helps you alot with maths and using your brain.