Parent reviews for OurWorld

Virtual world with games and some smart parental controls.

Adult Written bymantt July 26, 2009

Be Careful!

When I started hearing this website being spoken about a lot among the kids I'm surrounded with, like my younger cousins and little sister, I asked them what it was all about. Of course, being kids they failed to provide me with the important details. So i went on myself and created an account and everything. Trying to figure how everything worked out, I was approached by another player and was asked to go over to his condo, after telling me I was cute. Out of curiosity, i went. Upon arrival at his condo, he suggested taking off our clothes and having "secks."

I think this website is very much like a chat room and shouldn't be allowed for younger children. They make communication as easy as text messages. So if your child isn't mature yet...think again about letting them on this site.

Adult Written bywizard101storm July 5, 2012

Inna

THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOO WAY

Adult Written byConcerned Parent 1 July 28, 2012

PARENTS BEWARE

The game states that children under 13 cannot chat without parental changes. that is not true. We logged onto our 10 year old daughters account to a "boy" saying "Hey baby". When we talked to the person "overseeing" this game - they barely understood English, did not argue with the privacy/chat issue and had no explaination other than telling us to delete her account. That does not solve the problem for other children with possible voyerism on this child website. NOT SAFE & SECURE FOR CHILDREN: THIS IS LIKE A DATING SERVICE FOR PRETEENS AND WHO KNOWS WHO IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT COMPUTER
Adult Written byourworldisafraud April 9, 2008

ourworld is a fraud

Be careful when you sign up. We signed up for one month only but they will keep taking money out of your acount monthly until you cancelled. Today they have taken the monthly $5.99 out of my account 8 times so far and every hour they are taking another $5.99 from my account. There is no way to contact them the telephone number is from another country. When I send an e-mail it is sent back to me.
Adult Written byBaleyx September 10, 2011

It's the users not the game.

I've been playing this game for a long time, before gems came into play. I would say any website with chat, avatars or anything of that nature are never safe for kids. Because anyone can play them and some people enjoy ruining things for others. When "hearts" were created I had a side account just so people would stop asking out of the blue. It was suppose to be something serious and the immaturity of the players was ridiculous. Girls claiming they were cheated on and would openly chat about suicide, That's when you know they take the game too far.
The second issue I found was the levels, once kids reached a certain level they became arrogant and rude, I always found the term noob rude and senseless, everyone was new at some point. Higher levels always bashing new players for being "ugly" because they have starter outfits or clothes that didn't cost gems, or simply making fun of them for asking a question about the game.
Then gifting, with it's constant begging, and some kids trying to scam new players, into buying them gems or something of the sort. I could log on and will find someone I don't know commenting me to give them a gift. It gets to a point where you don't even want to leave your profile open to all players, for anyone could message and comment spamming about gifts, or my next issue.
Kids who try to talk or display sexual actions.Being naked means getting down to undergarments. But people will use their imagination and do dance moves to interpret sex. OW did block a lot of terms from being used but you can say anything if you know how to get around it.
Lastly, anyone can play it. But if your kid wants to make an account you better hope they're mature and know the difference between real life and the internet. It is not the games fault that a variety of ages play this, and it's certainly not their fault when users want to misbehave and act rude or crude. So there really isn't a way to shelter your kids from anything, this happens everywhere.

Adult Written bySHAY13 June 23, 2011

BEWARE PEDOPHILES PLAY THIS GAME

well we caught our 11 year old getting texted messages from a guy that played the game with her and it was all sexual talk, we are having the texts traced. it a open hand for pedophiles KEEP YOUR KIDS AWAY FROM THIS KIND OF CRAP!!!!!

Adult Written byJacs H. August 14, 2017

Not good

This game is not good. I started playing it when I was 11. I am now 19. I have had people trying to sext me, asking me for pictures (when I was 12+) and then accounts get hacked or scammed a lot of the time too. It is a waste of time. People get threatened, people lie, and a lot of children get upset and lose a lot of time and money after getting scammed on this game - and the company cannot replace lost items. There is a lot of swearing, and grouping up on people. A lot of young people getting pressured into doing things, and a lot of young people talking about depression and other mental health issues as well as suicidal or self harming thoughts - I have seen this a lot in the Ourworld Forums. Children do not learn from this, and if they are learning, it is that depression is ''feeling sad'' and thus, 90% of the players consider and think of themselves as being depressed and special snowflakes. I would not recommend this game for anyone under the age of 15, and even then it is very risky with the amount of people trying to sext girls and receive pictures from them.

Parent Written byLOVELY70 October 30, 2014

DISGUSTING GAME FOR KIDS

THIS GAME IS CLEARLY NOT FOR KIDS I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE ON HERE BULLING KIDS AND SEX TALKING ALSO A NAME AND A PERSON TYRONEE SAME ACCOUNT CALLED NIIGGER KILLER WITH THE SAME ACCOUNT XXFEELTHEWETXX XXFEELTHERAINXX SAYING THEY ARE PART OF A KKK KNOWN AS KLU KLUX KLAN THERE ARE NO APPROPRIATE FILTERS BEWARE OF YOUR KIDS ON THIS GAME IT IS NOT I MEAN IT NOT FOR KIDS AT ALL. THE SOME OF THE ADULTS ALSO THAT PLAY THIS GAME TRY TO SCARE KIDS TELLING THEM ABOUT PEOPLE THAT ARE THE GOOD PEOPLE ARE SEX OFFENDERS ON HERE I WOULD NOT TRUST ANYONE IN THIS GAME IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS TO THIS GAME I SUGGEST YOU CALL THE COMPANY THIS IS A GAME THAT PARENTS SPEND MONEY ON WATCH YOUR KIDS. I HAVE SEEN IN MY DAUGHTERS ACCOUNT PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT KILLING THEM SELF WANTING TO AND THE WORDS ARE NOT FILTERED ENOUGH THE NAMES ARE NOT PRE SCREENED AND NO APPROVIAL REQUIRED SERIOUSLY THIS GAME IS SO SICK WITH SICK PEOPLE AND KIDS PLAY THIS. MY KIDS WILL NEVER ENTER THIS SITE AGAIN. IN ORDER FOR THE COMPANY TO CHANGE THERE RULES THERE NEEDS TO BE A BIG AMOUNT OF PEOPLE TO QUIT THE GAME AND PARENTS TO CALL FOR CONCERN IM NOT JOKING CALL OURWORLD 18773569752. ITS ONE THING TO REPORT BUT ITS ANOTHER IF THEY ALL TOGETHER JUST BAND A IP ADDRESS THAT IS CAUSING PROBLEMS FOR KIDS AND OTHERS TAKE ME SERIOUSLY PLEASE DONT LET YOU KIDS PLAY

Adult Written byrealmomrealreview June 7, 2014

TRASH

My under 12 daughter got hooked on this game for a few weeks. I had bad feelings about it from the beginning for obvious reasons such as the ability to chat with strangers. OK, you can "friend" people but they are strangers as you have NO IDEA who is on the other end. We had a long talk about internet safety, etc. and she loved the site so much I allowed her to play for a limited amount of time each day. I won't go into all the negative aspects but the last straw was when I opened my laptop to the game (as she hadn't logged off after her last play session) and some EXTREMELY disturbing videos were on the screen that she was asked to watch in order to earn gems. The audio playing was about the glory of being a mass murderer. Other videos to choose from displayed pictures of dismembered bodies, guns, etc. I immediately talked with my daughter about things she had observed while playing, etc. I then explained why she will not be playing this game anymore and blocked it from our computers. What sick individuals run this game? From what I've read on other reviews, they are out of the country and I can just imagine who is behind all of this. Are our children being brainwashed? It's certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. In fact, I believe that's exactly what someone is attempting to do. Since I'm on the topic of "conspiracy theories", I will just say that any review on here from a supposed "parent" who is glorifying the site and giving it 5 stars has got to be a fake review. Steer clear of this game, parents. It is complete trash.

Adult Written byinzesz clarence March 31, 2012

its cool and educational

its educational games

Educational Value
Adult Written byMom of 2 in Ohio January 22, 2012

Keep your kids away!

Someone talking to my daughter sent her a youtube link telling her to check out the cool video. She thought it was something to do with Taylor Swift because that is what she deems cool. It was a link to a video titled "How to have Sex at School." That was the last straw for us and this sight has been banned. I have been keeping an eye out when she is on this site because of an uneasy feeling I have had about it. You have to watch a lot of ads also to do anything on the site unless you pay a membership fee. Also I had parental controls set on the site and that did not matter because the link was still able to get through it.

Adult Written byParentalAdvice October 16, 2011

OurWorld Reivew : Perspective of a Parent

Ourworld is a very safe kid freindly and fun website that is easily accsible to children and does not let any private or personal information get to the other users. All bad words are blocked and the makers have used top of the line information so that it is virtually impossible to track down another user. Everyonre using the website can only be frends with others . and so that there will be no inapropriate contact beetween the avatars there is a berrior so that each avatar can only get a certain amount of closness not allowing the avatars to touch. They are separated by 2 inches to prevent all inappropriate content. The kids can also listen to fun and enjoyable music . Users acheive higher levels when they play games and receive a power up called flow and when they get a certain amount of flow they get higher levels. Ourworld is a kid and parent freindly way children can talk with their freinds from school or even distant family while keeping it safe and making sure they already know the person their taking to .
Parent of a 7-year-old Written bypucca203 May 1, 2010

snakes are demon

i hate snake
Adult Written bycassadyoung May 27, 2020

our world creators don't care about the game

I used to play this game back in 2010 when I was 10 and it was very fun and the software was actually nice and working the creators would always update if it started to get real bad. Then ow kind of started to die and less people logged in, so the creators stopped trying as much (very understandable) less money =less effort. But since covid-19 there have been so many people I met on ow who are logging into their old accounts and playing everyday again, spending lots of money, since we are adults now, and ow is still very laggy, needs a software update, and need to put more effort into the game itself (clothes and places wise).
Adult Written by000101001a March 25, 2020

This is not a game-- it's an MMOSP [Massive Multi-user Online Social Platform]

OurWorld is actually a flash games portal running on proprietary code that stretches the limit of what Adobe Flash software is capable of.
The main attraction of this games portal is the ability to communicate with other players in a fictional setting [with background lore], playing the available list of games in this site allows players to earn experience points which can be traded for in-game currency to buy items for the avatars and their living quarters [yeah, you have to play games for a living in this site]. Unlike some other sites of the same genre, the price of things is dictated by the storefronts of the game so there isn't any sort of inflation to deal with [the user marketplace has no influence over the system stores].

Aside the way the site works, my concern is that besides the in-game currency there is also a money backed currency called "gems", these gems can be obtained for free with weekly coupon codes and can also be obtained by participating in surveys from sites that have absolutely nothing to do with Flowplay Inc. From the 9 years I have had being an user in this site I can attest to the fact that these surveys are invasive and many of the offers ask you to install programs in your computer that come with all kinds of worms that will spy on your information. No child should even be close to answering any of those surveys.
There's also the fact that all kinds of nasty people join the site to try to hook up with minors-- this is a fact for all child/teen oriented platforms these days, this is why the majority of the playerbase these days does not participate in chatting openly [aside from how broken the chat system is with it's weird censorship to begin with].

In general, if your child wishes to participate in this site you should keep an eye out so they don't talk to predators and they don't fill those pesky surveys.

Adult Written bynecromancer456 February 19, 2020

PERVERTS, Pedophiles & SCAMMERS`

dearest family members who are concerned, i have been playing it since i was a kid. Never had in my life FELT WAY SAD WHEN SOMEBODY TRIED TO THREATEN ME.

Like seriously it could be a dude with multiples accounts trying to trip your child. It happened to me but thank gawd, i did nothing. Never purchase from this website. Its crap. Just play games hard to get what you want ok?

I was shocked because they think i would want their money if only i would do as they say. Your kids better not fall for their lies. They will say that they are a hacker and whatsoever & have your IP address.

I just wanna say they are lonely mf and are losers, thats why they cant seem to get a grip of themselves in the real world. Which explains they are here trying to satisfy their sad life needs.

Adult Written bychoctaw_woman January 20, 2020

Best game

I think this is a great game i think only kids 14 and up should play but rather than that ourworld is an amazing game i love playing myself.

Adult Written byDandoon0146 August 15, 2019
Adult Written bySammy12 August 10, 2019

Not recommended to young kids

I started this game when I was 11 years old. I was mostly just playing games and enjoying the benefits of levelling up with my real-life friend. There are people who will scam, lie, swear, ask for social media, harass, and threaten other players. There are also inappropriate dance moves, clothes, and crew photos. Not all people are bad though. All and all, it's a good game, but not recommended for anyone younger than 15.

Adult Written byJaniceCarson August 1, 2019

Children need to mature and grow up.

My children love this game. One day, I took a closer look at the game and realized that teens aged 12 and older, communicate with each other from how they view themselves. They really bring out their personalities and that's what I want for my children, for them to bring out the best of them. To conclude, teens really need to embrace their personalities, and be who they want to be.