Want personalized picks that fit your family?
Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.
A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this website.
What parents need to know
What's it about?
Created by a former game producer, VOCABULARYSPELLINGCITY.COM offers about a dozen free learning-based games and other activities that include vocabulary and spelling lists. Users need to register to save and share lists. Those who purchase a paid, ad-free membership also can access sentence and paragraph writing exercises, flashcards, and additional games. Adults can track kids' progress on spelling tests and other exercises, and kids see correct answers for questions they missed. The site also provides significant resources for teachers.
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about which games your child found most helpful. Did spelling out new words help your child remember them, or did the site's other games prove more useful?
- Discuss any new terms your child learned on the site. Which did your child find the most difficult to understand, and why?
- Are there any vocabulary words or historical names or terms your child is struggling with in school? Try to use the word in a few sentences to help reinforce it.
- Subjects: Language & Reading: reading, spelling, vocabulary
Math: algebra, geometry
Science: chemistry, life cycle, physics
- Skills: Thinking & Reasoning: applying information, logic, memorization
Self-Direction: academic development, personal growth
- Genre: Educational
- Price: Free-$59.99/year and up
- Pricing structure: Paid, Free (Free accounts are limited to word list creation and 10 pre-made games. Premium memberships begin at $59.99 per year for 25 students and increase depending on number of students. Premium accounts remove ads, support student tracking and vocabulary tests, and include 35+ games.)