Parent reviews for Webkinz

Webkinz Poster Image

Nothing but a scam. Beware.

This game is nothing but a scam. We unwittingly let our 7 year old play this for the first time while we made dinner and he managed to charge $200 within 10 minutes. The amounts are "unrefundable" when i reported that they were accidentally purchased. Of course. Needless to say this game is now off limits and we will be hovering over him every time he gets on the iPad. Lesson learned, but wanted to warn others of this scam.
1 person found this helpful.

-WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WEBKINZ FOR NEWBIES-

Although Webkinz is not popular anymore, I am writing this review in case someone comes across this and needs a relevant opinion on the game. I do not recommend reading many of the other reviews here because they are quite dated or inaccurate. Despite my personal love for the game, I intend to write this review honestly; evaluating both the good and bad. Here are some things you should know: 1. DO WEBKINZ DIE? Contrary to rumors, Webkinz DO NOT DIE. However, if you do not log into your account for an entire year they will delete it. 2. IS IT SAFE FOR KIDS? Yes, Webkinz is one of the safest online children's games out there. Parts of the game include interactions with other players, but it is heavily filtered and monitored, meaning all players have a limited vocabulary. If you do not want your child interacting with online players in this way, you can turn off that section of the game. With the multiplayer areas, your child will be limited to the sections where players can only use a small handful of prewritten messages such as "Hi!" or "Would you like to play checkers?" 3. HOW DOES MEMBERSHIP WORK? You have an option to choose a free pet when you begin, but to unlock a standard account you must purchase a pet. You can either purchase one in-game, on the online shop, or use the code that comes with one of the retired stuffed animals (you can get them on eBay). Most pets are very cheap. Typically, their prices are around $10 in estore points, and considering that this unlocks a standard account, it is the same as if you were to simply purchase the game. The downfall of this system is that in recent years, the marketers have decided that players must annually purchase a pet to renew their standard membership. There is a third-tier membership called Deluxe that unlocks a handful of fancy features and items in the game. This is an annual paid membership. The price of this tier is high, compared to the value of what the player unlocks. However, the membership price is 50% off on holiday sales, and at that price, I do believe it is worth the cost. With a Deluxe account, you no longer have to purchase a pet to renew your standard membership annually. 4. CONSUMERISM. Consumerism in the game is not nearly as bad as it was in the past. There are no third-party ads on the desktop app, contrary to what others might say. There are ads for deluxe membership, virtual pets, and plush, but that's all. The ads are not plastered all over the game. They usually only appear while on loading screens. 5. IS WEBKINZ A PAY-TO-WIN GAME? No, to enjoy the game in general, you do not need to pour money into it, besides purchasing a pet. There are options to purchase estore points to buy fancier items with pretty art. This is not necessary, however, and there are plenty of cute items and themes with a standard account. In conclusion, Webkinz is an enjoyable game for kids and adults who enjoy innocent games and virtual pets. The game promotes the importance of pet care, kindness, and creativity. I hope this helped.

Fun games, but incredibly annoying to deal with.

Parents should take a look at what the site has to offer if their child wants to play it, because not all will appreciate some of the content that they have or the messages that they promote. Dealing with their membership stuff has been incredibly frustrating on my end, and Ganz is one of those companies that won't accept anything other than credit cards. If you're a debit user, you can pretty much forget about any kind of membership or paid bonuses. 85% of this site is blocked for those who can't do the membership, so just dealing with them in general has been a pain. Some of the games are super fun, and even have some skill building, but it doesn't matter if you can't access the dumb thing.

As a Webkinz veteran, I have a lot to say.

Given the current situation with this pandemic, I admit I've been thirsty to find something time consuming and therapeutic, and what do you know, I turned to Webkinz. I've played this game since it first came out (I was about 4-5 when it came out), and now have my 2009 account still active. I was pleasantly surprised at how much the game changed, I've experienced every generation of Webkinz pretty much, and some things haven't changed. For example, the lagging and glitching is pathetic for a website in 2020. I am now actually a web & mobile development major and the idea that they're still using flash to run the site is damaging to their reputation. The glitching has been quite annoying, especially since it doesn't seem like they fix anything. You can't visit friend's houses anymore in the game, and I tried to throw a party and that completely glitched. This is just one of many things, but it is clear to me that they expect people to keep pouring money into the game even though they aren't fixing anything. The next thing I have to say is regarding this 'membership' thing, not Deluxe Membership, just a normal Webkinz world membership, now requires that you buy a Webkinz every year? As of current, I had some extra cash so I've been collecting again, however because plush Webkinz are a) Hard to come by now, and b) Downright expensive, it is going to be very hard to maintain an account, and I have A LOT of Webkinz on my account, so for someone who has been playing the game since they were a little kid, I don't think it's very fair to make veteran members pay to keep playing the game. All the years I've poured my heart, soul, (and wallet), into the game should be enough to keep an account running with a full membership (not Deluxe). I find that the company has become greedier and greedier as the years went on because of course, just like any suffering company they have to nickel and dime their customers until they fail completely. Now, I'm not wishing for Webkinz' to end in the near future, I just think they should be working on more efficient marketing techniques and bring back the plush animals. I'm not a child anymore, but I can still see me as a child and what I'd want as a child, so they really need to focus on capturing more audiences and making certain things accessible without spending a fortune on a virtual game. The game market is much harder to compete with nowadays which is understandable, because when I was 10 I was still sitting playing Webkinz, but 10 year olds now are playing GTA and violent games that are far out of Webkinz' league. However, I do still see that Webkinz is still popular among age ranges 10-20, and some even older. I got my older friends and their siblings all to partake in some childhood nostalgia with me, surprising? Not really, people really need something to connect with right now, and if Webkinz plays their cards right I think they can do a very good job marketing. I'd love to see a Webkinz comeback, it may be more difficult with the downfall of many brick & mortar stores, but if they want to focus on virtualization, they should come up with a strong tactic to market the plush animals online. Don't have plush ideas? Get some kids together, even some adults who used to play the game too, because let me tell you I have tons of ideas of what they could do with the game. It's a shame to watch it go into this downwards spiral of greed and targeting, because honestly it was such a huge part of my childhood, I'd hate to see it end for stupid reasons. As of current though, I'd sway younger children away with it because I don't think parents are prepared for the cash-flow it takes to maintain this, and how much harder it is now with Webkinz being so expensive both in game and in real life. I hope to see some change over at Ganz and will continue to play my favorite childhood game despite everything. Hopefully this was helpful, and made sense!

Fun place to take care of a virtual pet!

Webkinz is a fun place where a child can buy a pet and take care of them in a virtual world. They have different games, a school, tournament area, etc for the child to take their pet and play together. There are a lot of advertisements from Webkinz and third party, but if you are not a free member, you can turn off third party advertisements. I suggest you do buy a little stuffed animal just so you can do this. The advertisements were too much when we had a free account. There are three different types of an account on this website: a free account, full account (buying a stuff animal), and deluxe account (you buy a deluxe membership). You get to do more stuff as the higher your account goes. We just have a full account, and I do not feel like my child is missing out by not having a deluxe account. Another great thing about Webkinz is all the educational games on the website. They are easily marked to show the parents what area of the website is more educational. The cons about the site is there is always something wrong with it. My child gets kicked off the site a lot after playing some games. They can log back in without a problem, which is just weird to me. Overall: I am extremely pleased with this website and I suggest parents just to buy a stuffed animal for their child and give the website a try for a year. I am sure your child will love it!

Oh man I've been playing this game since 2007 and it was one of the only computer games back then where there wasn't some sort of membership forced on you because they expected you to buy your pets. As myself and my generation grew older and stopped playing webkinz, they started to force you to not only buy webkinz constantly but to also buy a deluxe membership to play the game. 10 years later logging onto my account (being a loyal customer and having 25+ webkinz), you literally cannot do anything without the membership. Not even some of my favorite games. And what I want to know is what is webkinz even doing with this money??? The site is so laggy and is pretty much the same 10 years later. Update your site!! I used to love this game but pretty soon this site is going to be gone forever the ways it's looking.

Watch this...

It is proof that this game is just flat-out dissapointing. Download the iBoss extenstion and then try to play Webkinz. It is blocked! Yes, I get that iBoss might block a lot of games, but doesn't that make you think?

Hear me out Webkinz... This is a plea

I am an 18 year old female that has a Webkinz account. I am still in high school and when I get bored (which is quite often) I play Webkinz. Everything was fine & dandy until I tried to by a room. YOU HAVE TO BE A DELUXE MEMBER TO BUY A ROOM. This is not okay because it didn't used to be like that. If you want me to keep writing bad reviews, I will as long as the rooms stay deluxe. I will write good reviews if you change it to where everyone can participate in room purchase. This is a plea and I really hope you change it because I have all this Kinzcash in my pocket AND NO ROOM TO SPEND IT ON.. Hugs and kisses, Margarrett

Terrible

I wrote another review before, but now I'm gonna go into detail on how this game is. Webkinz is money sucking, and, after a year of playing Webkinz, they make your pet 'die' and lock you out of your acc until you buy a new 1. My friend's seven year old's plush tiger 'died' after a year and she was heartbroken and cried all day. Friend banned Webkinz permanently in her house. Also the W store. There've been many cases of kids easily buying £500 worth of stuff, and the lazy webkinz people saying 'no refunds'. I have a son and daughter and my experience of webkinz was the two week trial until Deluxe Membership. I was pretty satisfied with it before this, but wasn't really happy with the picture you can purchase with webkinz coins whom's caption is 'Dogs Playing Poker' and the picture shows. Also with the millions of ads. And my son was addicted. He had to go on Webkinz every second. He said his dog who he called 'Topsy' would be sick if he didn't play. That's teaching kids internet addiction. However, when this stupid free two week trial ended, he basically kicked the house down. I'm glad I didn't buy him the plush toy - It would've been an utter waste of money. Do not buy.

Webkinz World

I used to love this website. My kids loved it and would spend a lot of time playing on it. Although it is fun for children, the pets cost a lot of money. I have four children and cannot afford to keep buying these pets. If you do not pay for a "deluxe account" which is very expensive, your children will get almost no benefits of the site. There is almost NOTHING to do that is not only for deluxe members. Children got very bored once their accounts expired and were very sad that I cannot pay for four deluxe accounts. Complete ripoff.