All parent member reviews for Webkinz

Educator and Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written by75MOMof3 September 26, 2009

Love Hate relationship with this game...

As in my kids LOVE it...and I hate it. I first bought a webkinz toy as a b-day gift for my daughter. My kids love stuffed animals to death, so stuffed animal gifts are pretty common around here. I did not even REALIZE the whole online aspect of the toy when I first bought it, though it does help explain the price of such a small stuffed animal, lol. So my daughter gets it, falls in love with it, shows me the tag with the online code etc. that I totally failed to notice when I purchased it. (this is when I think, "Oh cool! Bonus! She can play online games with this thing too!") So feeling pretty good about my purchase I get her set up online, and she goes to town. At first I did not mind it so much, the music is a little annoying but I thought it was pretty cool that you have to buy things to take care of your pet (like you would in real life!)...but the consumerism of the game really drives me nuts at times. I almost feel like they are tyring to brainwash kids into spending, spending, spending! Creating the NEXT generation of people who spend beyond their means and live in massive debt. On one hand, this can be a GREAT learning tool. As in how NOT to live real life, how to SAVE money, etc. (though I see no incentive in this game TO save...ONLY to BUY that really super expensive "exclusive" item. Yep that is right, they are teaching exclusivity too!) On the other hand, how many parents are using it as a teaching tool? Another thing I don't like about it is how EASY it is for them to get this kinz cash. Go work a job for like ten seconds and you have a full paycheck??? Or go play a game to earn cash? (not just a little cash, but like thousands of dollars for a quick game!) Better yet, buy something and resell it for a super high price? All so these kids can earn obnoxious amounts of money to buy obnoxiously priced goods! (lets get them used to seeing a $95 price tag on a dress and buying it??? So what? So when WE go shopping in the real world this looks like a reasonable price to my daughter??? Or so they have no appreciation for how hard most people have to work for that kind of money???) THIS is not how the real world works. You have to WORK for your money (well, for most people anyway, unless you have managed to have others work for your money or have your money work for your money!) playing games to win money is a form of gambling and if you buy something you do not get to resell it for loads of cash (you can try, but no one in their right mind will BUY it from you in the REAL world, lol) Add all these things to the annoying nature of the music ect. (if I hear that "I wanna run, run, run , run..." horse song one more time...) it makes it REALLY hard for me to want to sit and teach my kids anything with this game. (though I fully admit there are some really good life lessons here to be learned) My daughter has 2 cousins and 1 real life friend she chats with on this game. I let her do it, because they all love it and its a time for them to chat and have fun. (and as my head is splitting from annoyance, I smile and pretend its all good while I try to teach her the lessons to be learned from this game...because, sigh, she is my daughter...and she loves this annoying game.) Now I make it a point to monitor this game with super vigilance, because quite honestly, I think this game unmonitored can be more harmful in the long run to a kid than other games that look far less innocent. (and I am not even getting into the whole buy more stuffed animals or deluxe membership etc. consumerism) But I actually heard an exchange between my daugher and her cousin (they were on speaker phone while both playing online, because like I said, this game needs monitoring) talking about, "Sell your pets MEDICINE AND CAN OF SOUP to buy me that video game." And my daugher was going to do it, because you can! Can you imagine what this game could do to kids if left to play unmonitored???? I think it is horrible. I understand that these are just kids playing, but I do not think you are doing your kid any favors by encouraging them to play things that allow them to earn "easy money" (hence giving little appreciation for how hard most people actually DO work...especially in this economy!) so they can spend, spend, spend. Go "play games to earn money" (umm, prelude to gambling?) so they can spend some more. Oh and lets not forget, go to fashion shows where other kids online can tell them how great or how ugly their clothing choices are...ugh. For me, the cons outweigh the pros. I think there are more constructive ways (that I find FAR less irritating) for my kids to spend their time learning these lessons. If they need some mind numbing down time, I think there are better ways to do this too without all the potentially negative influance.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybusy mom 2 August 10, 2009

Beward of Webkinz Estore

Webkinz Estore--BEWARE!!!My children frequently purchase Webkinz and have lots of fun on their website, however, the Estore is a total disgrace. We recently saw a virtual pet, Pterodactyl, that my kids wanted to get, the cost of which was $12.50. To purchase a pet, you must first purchase points, which are non-refundable, that come in $10.00 increments. We purchased $20 worth to cover the 12.50 pet. After buying the points, and trying to purchase the pet, we found out that you must first have a Deluxe Membership, which is $15.00 for 3 months. This means that the virtual pet would cost at least $25.00. Nowhere did I see on their website an explanation of such. What a rip off and scam of young children. Ganz should be ashamed of themselves.
Parent Written byThe cool parent September 11, 2011

Love this website!!!

I love this website!! So do my 2 little girls who are age 8 and 9. Yes, you do have to buy the toy, but it's worth it. Very safe. It's truly a good website for children. I hope I helped!! :)
Parent of a 8, 14, 18, 22, and 24 year old Written by6_Grandchildren April 14, 2009

SCARY THINGS HAPPEN WHEN YOU ALLOW YOUR YOUNGSTER TO PLAY ON WEBKINZ...

Yes, indeed. I allowed my 15 year old grandson to buy a webkinz with his life savings... And he never wanted to talk to me again! He was too busy playing with "GEORGE" his webkinz. I mean, this child used to talk to me at least every 5 minutes, but NOW he talks to me every hour! It is crazy! Also, he has been starting to wet the bed ever since he bought his webkinz! IDK if that is related to the incident, but I believe so!
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

A complete and utter waste of time.

This site is a complete waste of time. If your kids are going to play a game, get them a real one. This game will eat your money away, because it forces you to buy more and more webkinz in order to keep you account. Don't let your kids get addicted, because it will happen very easily.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycarbug1998 January 28, 2011

Any Age!

This site is just lovely! My child has one and I rust her on it! Quite delightful! So much better than club penguin, that site is wrong!
Parent of a 2, 4, 8, and 10 year old Written bydermillers August 31, 2009

Perfect for all ages

It is the best ever!!! cost $8-$15 to get your account started and shows your kids how to save money. take care of your pet. many many many pets to choose from. your kids can learn stuff like: Math the calender geography Time Not a waste of time we love it
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byauburncutie4ever April 20, 2009

A Great site- Perfect for Kids

Webkinz is wonderful, I don't see why any mothers wouldn't like it. I make buying and playing Webkinz a reward for my kids. It works!
Adult Written byChuckee April 9, 2008

Disturbing

This web site does NOT teach children about pet responsibility. Our pets do not have their own rooms, they do not get ice cream cones to make them happy. My 6 year old does not have a job at a burger joint in order to earn money to buy things for our cat! We do not allow her to play slot machines or cruise eBay looking for things to buy. As far as I can tell, the purpose of this website is to teach children about online gambling and shopping. If your kids are on the website and you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you take a closer look at what they are doing. Translate their play-actions to the equivalent real-world-actions and ask yourself if this is appropriate for an impressionable child.
Adult Written byroofweb August 1, 2009

webkinz are pretty good =D

webkinz is DEFINITELY a safe site.all you have to give out is your first name and the state u live in (for time purpouses only).its also very safe as far as chat goes.you have to choose a phrase from a menu to talk.you can also type whatever you want,but you have to get ur parents permission and u can only type what the moderators will let you (no inapropriate content,personal information,ect.) you do have to buy a webkinz to acsess the site though.webkinz are plush toys that come with a code that u enter online to acsess the site.you can play games to earn virtual points/money called "kinzcash" and use the kinzcash to buy stuff for ur pet.its really fun! most ppl on webkinz are from ages 5-16 or so.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written byAshley Adkins July 25, 2009

My Review Of Webkinz World

I like this website but I think that the pets that you buy are on the expensive side.I'm a mother of two and my kids love it so much that they are addicted to it.So be aware that when your kids get on that it will be about three hours before they get off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bygmaver May 6, 2009
Parent of a 1 and 11 year old Written byDominikaRudzka March 29, 2009

Really good site

I can not believe people rated it 17 it is not bad little kids do not notice anything they just play on the site
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bybrown_eyed_girl January 29, 2009

Gimme gimme gimme (your money)

This site started out as an adorable kids' site. It pretended to be educational, which was laughable, but it was so stinkin' cute you almost didn't care. Ganz has expanded the Webkinz brand so much the site is now more discouraging than entertaining. To get the coolest, most appealing items you need to win tons of kinzcash playing games (impossible for young children) or you need to constantly buy more Ganz stuff: plushies, lip gloss, jewelry, makeup, ornaments, school supplies, bags, etc. The website constantly pushes kids to buy the newest items and makes them feel like they are missing out by keeping features locked unless kids spend more money. While there are many games, most are impossibly hard for young children to do well enough to make enough kinzcash to purchase virtual items for their pets. Prizes are often given out at random in games and events and many are rare (my children now think gambling & the lottery are stupid because they see how rarely Webkinz pays out so that's a plus). The kids still think it's cute but aren't as enthusiastic because of the marketing. Prepare to either constantly open your wallet or explain the value of a dollar.
Adult Written byhinkpink January 25, 2009

It's Just a Buissness to Take Your Money

Webkinz is just a money-making buissness because they get the kids addicted. Then the kids ask their parents to buy them more and more pets when they don't need them. The website encourages the kids to get more pets. For instance, if you get ten 10 pets, you can get a super bed. Here's something I bet you didn't know: for every pet you have you only get a year on Webkinz. Say you have one pet and after a year you don't get any more, your account will go to sleep. But, if you get a lot of pets, when you get older you won't want to play with your account any more and then you relize how much of a waste of money it was. That's what happened to me.
Adult Written byBK0001 April 9, 2008

Sit down with your kid

Warning bells went off for me when my 8 year old daughter came out of her bedroom crying at 9pm: "I forgot to play with my pet and if I don't get on the computer and go to webkinz it will DIE!". I don't mind my 8 year old having a bit of fun, and the games seem fun, but encouraging addiction, and making kids feel anxious and guilty when they don't follow proscribed paths for developing addictive behavior is a big concern. Another mom said she was concerned when taking a family trip to Tahoe, landing in Reno, and her daughter saw the casino lights and slot machines in the airport and said "Hey mom, it looks like Webkinz!" It's true when you think about it that the Webkinz environment that looks like casino and slot machine lights. In short, some good entertainment, but plenty to be wary of. Sit down with your kids to see...
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBubba1129 October 30, 2014

Child friendly but the Webkinz company is not friendly with parents!

My 10 year son is autistic. He was introduced to Webkniz by his cousin. As you may know, children with autism find everything interesting and are almost always curious. The site itself was entertaining for about a month, then (as in most cases) his interest waned and he was on to something else. Fast forward one year- the company charged my checking account the annual $50 fee without any prior notice. When I told them that I wanted to cancel and get a refund, I was informed that all "sales are final and that there is no refund". Is an annual renewal fee considered a sale? I sent them another note asking for clarification. I then received a rather condescending reply, telling me that they would forward my note on to the "appropriate" department! Passing the buck is not customer service! Please be careful about your purchases with this company. It should be about the kids but apparently that does not apply when it impacts the bottom line!
Parent of a 11 year old Written by1Dlover December 29, 2012

LEARNING

The Fairness Of Webkinz

it does not have gambling. It has somthing called wheel of wow. There children can spin a wheel once a day to earn a small prize. They also have a key for your child to use to talk to other pets (children). I think children 7 and under should play WebkinzJr.
Parent of a 11 year old Written by247Mom April 2, 2011

Webkinz is the Place to Be!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone! It's a great website for all ages- anyone can enjoy it! It's a world full of fun, and there are some educational purposes. My child loves it and for his computer time each day he plays only on Webkinz. However, it can become addicting, which isn't exactly a good thing for the kids minds. Also, every once in a while I'd buy him a Webkinz, each are about 14.00 on average. They add up! Although it's a great website, it does come with the price with money signs.
Parent of a 3, 5, and 11 year old Written byNewYorkMom March 19, 2010

Perfect for pre-K, tweens, and adults... I'm hooked, and I'm Mom! Dad wants one too!!

As long as you use the chat settings to prevent direct chatting, it is perfectly safe. They can accept friends and only chat with preset messages. Almost all their content is made to be educational. It's fun, exciting, can keep them playing for extended periods without needing help (giving you time to have some peace and quiet!). You DO need to purchase an animal to get a code, but you can buy a Lil' Kinz for under $7 and even on sale.