All parent member reviews for Wikihow

Educator Written byJune Days November 1, 2012

Review by a wikiHow Lover: Honest and true

wikiHow is a how-to manual that gives people every day advice. While reading the site is fun, it's even more fun to write on it! I think that wikiHow gives kids the chance to work on their English, punctuation and grammar skills (Because wikiHow is a writing site), and lets them meet with new people. It almost builds maturity. While the site can't be totally clean (wikiHow gets trollers, spammers and vandals, but it's taken care of in a reasonable amount of time....Anywhere from 1 second of the bad edit, to a few days), it does have a bit of language (Mostly occurrs in the Forums). Nothing too bad though. It's usually taken care of. It also helps people collaborate to build the manual. Assuming good faith (Always assume the best) and collaborate with people to make the site clean, fun, and productive.
Educator and Parent Written byLois Wade November 2, 2012
LEARNING

Good place to learn writing skills.

wikiHow is a How To site which encourages collaborative writing and editing with the goal of creating accurate instructions. The community is relatively friendly, the users tend to help each other, and the interface is fairly easy to use. Note that the GOAL is creating accurate instructions. If a user sees a problem with a set of instructions, they are encouraged to fix the problem. Thus, the information is continuously evolving, usually for the better. The wikiHow community has chosen to ban certain types of articles, including Dangerous, Hate or Racist, Illegal, Sexually Explicit and Political. While the above categories do not weed out all objectionable content, they do tend to make the site a lot more family friendly than most. Profanity is generally limited forums rather than articles, and tends toward descriptive rather than pejorative use. Kids over 13 should be fine here. Younger children should be more closely supervised.
Adult Written byJaylaMarie November 1, 2012

The Truth About wikiHow

It's a great place to find anything. Be warned though, some users will cuss in the forums.
Parent Written byJacob515 November 1, 2012
LEARNING

Safe and accurate how-to guide

wikiHow seems to be a very safe site for kids. I've seen bad edits removed within minutes! Also very useful how-to articles (Like how to do CPR... and so forth).
Parent of a 2, 4, 4, 6, and 7 year old Written byLizzy2 January 9, 2010

15 or 16+ but definetely not 13!

I use this website often, but my children, I have decided, are not allowed on until the age of 15 if they decide to join and if of course, the site is still active. When contributing, mant users get upset when they are corrected and start using innapropriate language. However, I will print out articles for my kids that are age appropriate and well cleaned up. This website should be for ages 15 or 16+ because this stuff could be innapropriate for 13 year olds.