A lot or a little?
The parents' guide to what's in this movie.
What parents need to know
- Parents say
- Kids say
There aren't any reviews yet. Be the first to review this title.
What's the story?
Is it any good?
Talk to your kids about ...
- Families can talk about Fruitvale Station's violence. How is it different from the violence in other movies? Does the fact that the movie is based on a true story affect the impact of the violence?
- Oscar is troubled and makes some mistakes. Does this make you like him any less? Why or why not? How do you feel about the movie's portrayal of the cops? Did you hate them? Feel sorry for them? Are they stereotypes? Do they deserve to have their story told?
- How do you feel about the inclusion of the footage of the real incident? Why is this footage so powerful? How did you react to it?
- What's the difference between "based on a true story" and an actual true story? Does it matter whether everything in this movie actually happened? How could you find out which parts may have been fictionalized?
- In theaters: July 12, 2013
- On DVD or streaming: January 14, 2014
- Cast: Melonie Diaz, Michael B. Jordan, Octavia Spencer
- Director: Ryan Coogler
- Studio: Weinstein Co.
- Genre: Drama
- Run time: 85 minutes
- MPAA rating: R
- MPAA explanation: some violence, language throughout and some drug use
- Last updated: September 20, 2019
Our editors recommend
For kids who love true stories
Top advice and articles
Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners.
Streaming options powered by JustWatch