All parent member reviews for Dance Moms

Parent Written byanti-abby lee dance July 13, 2011

cancel this show

It is abusive the way the children are talked to by Abby Lee. Ive never seen anyone tear down a childs self esteem like she does. Pitiful mothers to allow it and to pay her to do it.
Adult Written byFTK February 21, 2012

CANCEL THIS SHOW!!!!

I have worked in the entertainment industry 25 of my 40 years and although i appreciate that these young girls are really talented , they deserve the chance to be with a real agency that will not give them false hope and expose them to such a degrading environment .. they are just children for god sake !! competition is a part of every sport but these so called mothers acting out there fantasies in childish ways is a horrible example and definitely the worst kind of role model..And the so called teacher is just the worst example i have ever seen with children.. i mean really a 300 pound dance instructor barking orders at little girls.. wow..really!!! You have to give them positive influence as well as criticism.. that gives them balance and confidence in there personality..think about their future if they don't succeed , then what? , so you can act all surprised when they end up on a stripper pole as a last resort after high school .. i think this show is the one of the most horrible ways to exploit young girls and exposing them to all the arguing, overdone makeup, profanity and sleazy outfits. These women should be ashamed to call themselves mothers..as well as women who watch and approve of this show.. Lifetime should be ashamed of itself for this exploitation of children and cancel this show immediately, oh and good job showing commercials during the show about the child sex trade and abductions..really!! and you wonder why???? I used to like lifetime and its movies but this is an all time low.. Lifetime do yourself a favor and cancel this show and save these kids future.. if you continue to promote shows like this you will lose many more viewers..i watched 10 min. of the show and wanted to throw up.. These so called moms need to seek serious mental therapy and send there children to a real dance school where they can be taught properly and respected for their talent.. i can only pray there are more people out there that feel this way about this show and get it off the air.. For the children's sake..
Parent of a 1 and 8 year old Written bySteffauri516 August 9, 2011

Horrible mothers! Just more TV trash~

Just like the title of my review says, it's nothing more than TV trash. I'm actually disappointed and a bit shocked at Lifetime for airing a show like this. Before I start my rant I will say that there is one good moral that the show demonstrates, and that is the value of hard work and perseverance. Now, I have a 1 and an 8 year old, and I doubt they'd be entertained by this show, nor would I let them watch it. The mothers in this show are HORRIBLE, not only to their children but to each other. They backstab, badmouth each other's children and family lives/situations. One mother presumably has a drinking problem which is demonstrated in several episodes, one where she even lashes out (verbally) at another woman and her child making the little girl cry. Swear words are also prominent in their arguments (a**, d**n, b***h, h**l, f**k) are all voiced (but bleeped out) And the COSTUMES! My God, there was one episode where the little girls were dressed in skin tight leather booty shorts and bra-like tops doing stripper-squats in one of their performances! This show sexifies and objectifies these poor young girls whose mothers obviously live vicariously through them. One mother literally told her daughter she'd "slit her wrists" if she told her again she'd rather play baseball than dance. And another forced her daughter to dance in a competition after sustaining a painful hip injury. The role models are terrible, seeing the children cry and get yelled at in every episode is maddening, I'd pause this for anyone under or around 12 years old...I doubt kids would be entertained by it, much less adults.
Parent Written byAnnaa1 August 6, 2013

Shame On Dance Moms !

This show is awful. My daughter LOVES dance class. We watched about 10 min. of this show and it was so obnoxious we actually had to turn it off. I taped it and went back later to see if it was just that part or the whole show, the entire time it was rude people treating others awful. People pay this lady to abuse their children?? What's wrong with them. The lady (Not sure that term applies here) was beyond obnoxious. They sound like a bunch of out of control children w/ no discipline. My daughter was disappointed. Her comment, "It was good I didn't see this before going to class or she never would of went". Then she asked why those people were so mean. She's 6. How can a show about kids not be for kids? I would never submit my child or anyone else's to such treatment. I have parent controls on the TV but it didn't block this, I had to do it specifically for that show. Get it off! Notice the kids are giving it high ratings and the adults are not. It's hard enough trying to raise a respectful child w/o them thinking this is how parents are supposed to behave.
Parent Written byPageant Mom August 23, 2011

Shocking and unneccessary scene!

I was shocked and disappointed at the last episode and quite frankly may not continue to allow my "almost" 13 year old to watch it. They had a completely uneccesary portion of the show displaying the moms having a private birthday party giving "edible" panties and discussing adult topics like the big "O". They discussed about whether they have ever faked an "O", but they used the actual word. It had absolutely nothing to do with the dance studio, competition dance and would not have changed the meaning of the show had it been left out. Shame on the producers! I have no problem with rated "R" movies or even PG-13 that have topics innappropriate for kids because that is to be expected, but I do have a problem with them targetting young girls who love dance as a target audience and then throw in a topic like that. I thought this was a good mother/daughter show at first that I watched with my daughter. I over looked a few of the bad words here and there during the cat fights, but this was unbelievable. I thought this show was similar to a "Toddlers and Tiarras" show, but I have never seen them take it to the gutter like that on that show. I am no prude, but they need to consider who their audience is!!
Parent Written bymamadrama123 November 4, 2013

Horrible Dance Instructor!!!

ABBY LEE MILLER IS A CRAZY MORON! She has the nerve to yell at sweet and innocent little girls. Verbal abusive women! What a shame, Abby Lee, what a shame.
Educator and Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byconnielove93 January 10, 2012

Kids are mature, Adults are childlike.

This show is very iffy, but it does have positive messages mostly because of the children. The kids are great sports and show leadership, teamwork and perseverance skills beyond their age. They are also strong and VERY athletic and they are the jem amongst the trash. Abby lee (aka the Dance Nazi at my home) is exactly what her nickname is ruthless, unapologetic, racist, and on a good note efficient. What she does works because the kid's choreography, coaching and costumes (mostly) are excellent. However good she is, she does have the black child (Nia) in a "jungle" oufit and afro in some episodes. The moms act catty and curse (s***, F***, and B****) and the show has gone downhill as the season progresses, the mom's have talked about sex and the big "O" in later episodes. This "side talk" is unnecessary and makes what could be an appropriate show inappropriate for some age groups. However, because of the children's skill, this show is entertaining to watch.
Adult Written bygkdavis August 20, 2011

Not So Good

I think it's a horrible show the moms act like teens always gossiping and fighting, the instructer is mean and cruel to the children and their parents and encourages the children to come to her over their parents. The children sometimes wear inappropriate costumes and do inappropriate moves.
Parent Written byMySweetGirls July 13, 2011

Oh-Em-Gee..Abby Lee!

Horrible!!
Parent Written byJJMCC67 December 28, 2013

Bottom of the barrel

Not for kids; no redeeming value to this show
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykharris1981 February 12, 2013

Pathetic show...needs to be banned

This woman is by far the most pathetic human being I have ever come across in my 25 years of playing competitive sports. There is a HUGE difference in being competitive and belittle and abusing those girls and their mothers. What on Gods green earth makes her think that she is so much better than them that she could treat those women the way she does? The mental abuse is emotionally destroying those children!! Those mothers are those girls roll models and she has no right to talk to those mothers the way she does in front of those little girls. Their business outside of that dance studio is none of her business to be talking about either. I understand she wants to be competitive and wants to win but this is by far the wrong way to do it. I got a full ride to college for softball and volleyball and I am very competitive but respectfully. I would never talk to another human being that way ever!! She really should be locked up for emotionally abusing those children. She really needs to take a long hard look at herself and what she can do to make herself a better person and treat other people with respect!! I would never recommend this show to anyone and this show needs to be banned from tv as well as this woman banned from emotionally abusing anymore children
Adult Written byNiagara August 17, 2012

Best show ever!

Ok, this show is amazing! All of the girls are so nice and love each other.They even say "I love you" to each other. All of them are strong in certain types of dance, some being acro dancers and some being lyrical dancers. Abby lee miller puts an edge on some dances such as electricity where the girls were gyrating and smacking their butts, and fantastic, where the girls were showgirls dancing with feather fans and wearing skin colored bikinis, but some dances are about serious topics such as bullying, and they do 40's dances such as bad apples that are harmless. Abby can be seen as a bully because of her persistent yelling and saying "everyone's replaceable!" to everyone who isn't her favorite dancer, Maddie! Abby also hates the moms. Moms Christi and Kelly are not good influences. They are always finding something to yell at mom, Melissa about, and they drink alcohol in tons of episodes. Mom, Holly also called Dr. Holly is a principal at a private elementary school and she has her doctrine and phd. She is very smart and is a good influence on children and adults! Overall, it is a heartwarming story of girls between ages 8 and 14 who have the passion to dance and the people that make it possible!
Parent Written bykatbardoor January 11, 2012

Makes Texas Chainsaw Cheerleaders Look Meek

If the USA is really concerned with ":bullying" then this show should be pulled off the air. If this is the true atmosphere dancers have to deal with, it's pathetic. I was shocked at the favoritism and the instrucfor's attiude. She gave me a headache.
Adult Written bydrsabat January 10, 2012

not for kids who do not want to become dancers!

its s takes snippets of girls who r being trained to be professional dancers at a perhaps too early an age and, as a man, i feel uncomfortable with what i sense is an excessive and misuse of sexuality on the show.
Adult Written byCG197 April 16, 2015

Good show

This is a really great show. I think it should be for 10 and up because of the verbal abuse but the dancers are very talented. You don't really learn from this show though, it's just for entertainment
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byHaley Wright March 29, 2015

I think his show is fine just its important to have your kids know what is right vs. wrong. It all really depends on your child. there is some cussing.
Parent of a 14 and 17 year old Written byGeorgia Wilson March 28, 2015

I think its a really good show even though i don't personally agree with putting your daughter through that. But its a reality tv show and these girls know what they're getting themselves into. There is cussing, especially from the moms. I think you just have to know your child and know that they know what is right vs. what is wrong.
Parent Written byCece Prof February 24, 2015

Disgusted

Free country does not mean...free for Abby to bully a child where their growth on a spiritual, emotional, physical, and cognitive level has been comprised. How dare you TLC and moms ...to just sit back as bystanders to such disgusting behavior. Abby can be compared to Hitler in the way that an individual uses complete a POWER & CONTROL to cause psychological damage to gain personal benefits. Get ahead in life Abby by loving yourself so you can love others. You and TLC are nothing more than Greedy to put children through such harassment for your own benefits. I love that the cast of Dancing With Stars and former host of The View named Joy....despised you on their shows. May you legally be held accountable!!!!
Parent Written bydays February 4, 2015

Dance Moms

I've watched this show and cannot believe the mom's allow this abuse to continue from Abby Lee Miller. She's very rude and completely crazy. Her current problems have her on the edge of a nervous breakdown. She cannot have a conversation with an adult in a civil fashion. She's just mean! If the conversation gets too much for her after yelling and belittling everyone she runs away. What kind of person does that? A crazy person who can't talk to anyone who has their own opinion. Tonight's show was a disgrace. I can't believe that Lifetime keeps this show on the air.  I used to be a fan of this show. I looked forward to watching it. Until Ms Miller went off the deep end. It's gotten so bad compared to what it started out as. I really love watching the girls dance. You would think she would care about those girls being the best that could be on stage but how is that possible with the atmosphere she's subjecting them too. I think the moms should take their daughters to a teacher that is on this side of crazy and nurtures and cares about the girls. There are good dance teachers out there that would not behave in this disgusting manner. The mom's should take their children and leave maybe then Ms Miller would regret her behavior and get some appreciation for what she has. So Sad!
Parent Written byBelree October 27, 2014

inappropriate show that needs to be canceled

This show is a shame. Horrible teacher, adults acting less mature than their pre-teen daughters, completely false representation of dance world ( I was a competitive dancer up to age of 18 and professional after). This kind of behaviour would not be tolerated at any studio I ever danced for/visited, either from the teacher or moms. The kids are very talented on the other hand and mature for their age, so that's why I marked them as great role models for child dancers. I think it's a shame that they have to live in such negative, toxic environment. I recently read that some of ex-dancers from the show are suffering from anxiety, depression and other similar disorders because of Miller's treatment and i think that is the biggest reason why parents shouldn't allow their children to watch this show.