Parent Written bykcoutts January 31, 2013

Warning: Unhealthy Addiction to This Game Will Take Over Your Child's Life

This is a highly addictive multiplayer online role playing game. All parents should be warned before bringing this into their lives that their children will prefer this game over eating, sleeping, exercise, and outings, and you will find yourself saying "no Animal Jam" multiple times daily. Under the National Geographic brand, you will assume this is a "safe" game, with parental controls, but that is not the issue. The problem is with addiction, and that the educational aspects of this are virtually nil, considering it is optional for the children to click on the educational facts, otherwise the main thing they will learn is materialism, as they strive to acquire possessions for their avatar. Other things they will learn are: lying, cheating, and stealing, as experienced players take advantage of new players by lopsided trades, and new players give away their passwords and thus control of their possessions to strangers. You were warned!
Parent Written byfaeriemoonmama July 13, 2011

Hacked in account--NO customer service, UNmoderated chat

TERRIBLE automated customer service. UNMODERATED chat. My daughter's account was hacked into by another player who lied to my daughter (she thought he was a moderator) and all her things were "stolen." Animal Jam had the nerve to send an automated response to my email complaints. I left two messages on their phone line (which is never staffed apparently) and never got a call back. We won't be renewing our account.
Parent of a 5, 8, and 11 year old Written byCassidy D. April 5, 2013

3 cheers for Animal Jam!

Animal jam is a safe fun site. It is educational and pretty safe. And you can't say anything that offensive. The games are fun and both my 8 and 11 year olds love it.everywhere you go there are new places and it is always being updated. I truly think its a good game (I even have my own account that I go on sometimes!) Everyone should play!
Adult Written bysilimom1 March 3, 2013

Educational but not always in a good way.

My daughter has been playing animal jam for over a year and we were happy to find a game that seemed safe and where she could indulged her fascination and love of animals. The past week, however, we noticed that she was being exposed to a great deal of foul language and sexual activity on this kid-friendly site. How can that be when the site has chat filters and constant moderation? Well, first off, the players have various short hand for swear words. For example, your child might be invited to a "stripped club" aka strip club. This is a den where tables with torches or lamp posts have been set up and animals dance on the table. The "f" word can be written as "phoc", etc. As for sex, your child may be invited to a private den party. They are asked to sleep and the the other animal jumps up and down on them asking all sorts of inappropriate things like "Is this hard enough" "Oh that's good baby". Don't believe me? Google animal jam sex for a whole punch of YouTube videos on the subject. We've had to have several conversations about sex that I wasn't prepared for at the age of 10. I think good has come out of this as it's opened a discussion that is important to have with your kids but I resent that it wasn't on my terms and that it's happening so soon. Animal Jam will be receiving an email from me today but I want others to be aware that this is going on. Animal Jam is educational and has the potential for a lot of good learning and fun. Unfortunately, there's always bad apples that will spoil the bunch.
Parent Written bylarchmont April 28, 2013

Stay Away from Animal Jam

If you have sweet, considerate, trusting children who want to go on this site and see animals... beware! They will be exposed to rude, selfish, manipulating children who steal, coerce, lie and use your child to take advantage of, and steal the items they may have. My child has been crushed by the vicious manouvers of other mean kids. It is not a game. It is a playground full of bullies. My child is not naive, but she is honest. Believe me, this trait is not rewarded on the animal jam web site.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJenSBrooks February 17, 2014

Caused a lot of problems in our family...

My daughter had an AJ account for over a year with only the "Bubble Chat" (you can only send/receive messages from a set list). We had no problems until we turned on the full chat. My daughter was very persuasive with the "There are moderators. You can report people who are inappropriate." and I decided to give it a try because she is getting older. Almost immediately I started noticing problems...my daughter, who has always respected the recreational time limits we place on her screen time, was routinely going overtime and lying about it. She also started to be more dishonest in her day-to-day interactions. Nothing huge - but it was there. She was frequently sullen after using the game and was constantly obsessing over what object she was trying to get/trade and telling me stories about how "this person scammed me". On occasions when she wasn't allowed to use her screen time she became intolerably angry. I finally did some reading and found other parents have experienced this and saw reports of animals behaving sexually in the "dens". As of today we are back down to "Bubble Chat" only. I predict she will cry and pull out her hair for a few weeks but I am willing to do this because I feel so strongly that this type of game with a chat feature is not for children. Follow-Up: Six+ months after shutting down Animal Jam things have improved significantly! You cannot believe how the obsessive collecting, scamming and inappropriate chat these kids are encountering on this site could impact a child's behavior! Don't let your kids play this game or others like it!!!!!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byStacyWacy May 2, 2011

Responsive developers, game is even better than before

I wrote a review a while back - it is below this. In it I stated some problems with the site, how kids were preying upon each other. I wrote to the developers and complained, and they responded wonderfully. Steps were taken to prohibit the scamming that players were able to perform on each other, several of my suggestions were incorporated fully into the game. I was very impressed with their response to the feedback I gave. My old review follows but it isn't applicable anymore, as trades are only made now when a pop-up appears in a totally different area of the screen, and the child has to move the mouse over and click there to complete the transaction, eliminating the possibility of trading without realizing you're doing it that I described below. Also, the kids get to vote on which items should be brought back to be sold again. The aspect of the game that I had found disturbing was eliminated and the game is safer and doesn't feel predatory anymore. My kids love this game, and I approve. --------------- I strongly approved of this site when my children started playing it last year, but things have changed. (My kids are 7 and 9, and yes they are a little young for the site, but I haven't had any issues with it until now). The things I find negative don't really fall into the given categories, so I guess I have to write it down. All those good things about it are still true, it is educational, there is no selling of site products to them. However, the player interaction part has changed. It used to be the kids would play and interact and pretend with each other. You be the mommy and I'll be your baby bunny sort of thing. Now the entire focus of the game has become acquiring rare items. This often involves tricking other more trusting players out of their items. Mostly trading occurs on trading forums, but players have started to approach each other, encouraging them to use mail to send or gift each other the items. This happened to my child and she has watched it happen to others. One player suggests mailing instead of trading, and another player stands nearby assuring you child it works great to mail instead of trade and it's fun and safe. So my child mails her rare item to the other child, in expectation that she will get the same item in a different color back. Instead the other player disappears with her item. But wait, there's more. These rare items are highly desired by all players. If your child has one, they will be hounded to trade or give it away until they hide it. There are also lots of players saying 'Tap on this space repeatedly to get a rare item!' Oh and if you have a rare item put it on your trading list, tap here quickly and you'll get another one of the same rare item. The kids are completely desperate to get this items, and they believe this and don't see the risk. Then the player telling them to quickly click the space moves their character over the spot, and a trade is initiated, approved, and completed before your child realizes what is going on. Suddenly the pop-ups flash across the screen and it's over. There is no record of who they even traded with, they've now got a common undesirable item in exchange for their rare one. If your child is not already a little hardened to the tough world where people lie, cheat, and steal, Animal Jam will introduce them to it. I suppose losing a virtual item is better than being scammed out of a real item. Nonetheless it is sad that a fun game has turned into a land where gangs of thug kids prey upon the innocence and desperation of others.
Parent Written byconcernedparenttoday April 21, 2013

Animal Jam Warning

My child was playing this game when all the sudden a bubble pops up with the question "Do you like me?". I immediately felt bothered by this, so I started googling around. As it turns out, Animal Jam is infamous for allowing the following chat conversations to take place: "Do you like me", "Are you a boy or girl?" "Let's go back to my igloo/den/etc....". From there, the animals "jump" on each other and simulate sex while the gamers post lewd and inappropriate screen chat messages to describe what the animals are doing. National Geographic claims that the moderators will block such content, but apparently they don't consider phrases such as "thrusts really hard into opening" and "I'm sticking all of me in you" to be offensive enough to block. Perhaps these phrases were eventually blocked, I really don't know. But my point is that the moderators have no system in place to stop a user from creating a new account and typing in lewd phrases that are intentionally misspelled or have spaces (with the goal of keeping themselves off the moderators automated keyword radar). In fact, the Animal Jam users who do this are very proud of escaping the censorship of the moderators and engaging in what is known as "Animal Jam Sex". Just google "animal jam hardcore mating" to see the you tube videos and screenshots of what I am talking about. When you see the chat bubble comments made, it is 100% obvious that this is not a child (or even a pre-teen) making these comments. It could be a teenager. But more than likely it is an adult, as it is very detailed and graphic. Even worse.....The "animal jam hardcore mating" video is only one of thousands out there showing that this occurs regularly on Animal Jam. There are many gamers out there who are very proud of their Animal Jam sex scenes, and they love to share them on you tube and other blogs. I also found many comments and blog posts from other concerned moms who started googling around after their child received the "Do you like me" or "let's go back to my igloo/den" request. When I first saw all this I wondered if perhaps the videos and screenshots of Animal Jam sex, along with all the graphic comments, were photoshopped. But unfortunately they aren't. This game could very easily be used by a pedophile or predator to lure a child.
Parent Written byjawstheshark June 18, 2013

not for kids

This is a game made to scam kids. Everything is set up so only "members" get the cool things. If you can fork out 50$ a year for this virtual game, go ahead. Animal Jam doesn't teach kids about the environment as much they do about getting what you want. The filters also do not block words like d__k, c__k, c__t and p___y for example. I had to ban this game in my house.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byelli_73 April 16, 2014

Great, fun, educational game!

I am surprised by what other parents have written here because I've been very happy with my child playing Animal Jam. I love the amount of educational content in the game, plus all the free activities they offer for us to do when computer time is up. I monitor my child's online play closely, and have never seen inappropriate behavior in the game. A lot of the kids attempt to "trade" outside of the system created in Animal Jam, but we've reviewed the videos about the trading system and how to avoid being scammed. I think more parents need to be involved from the beginning when their children play a game, rather than complaining when their child runs into trouble. It's our job to ensure they are safe online and to guide them through how to deal with different scenarios on the web. Animal Jam has created a safe, moderated game for kids, and I would recommend it for kids in the 8-12 age range.
Adult Written bygsdrock August 5, 2011

Animal DON'T

There is a lot of sexual activity. Animals (kids) pretending to kill each other. You can say the word "wine" on this site (which is an alcoholic beverage. I know because i have done it. It's very educational.
Parent Written byGordieDD April 9, 2013

AVOID ANIMAL JAM, NOT FOR KIDS!!!!

Avoid this site. It all started when my daughter had her account hacked and all of her items, pets, dens etc were stolen or deleted out of her account. We have learned that another child copied her password when she logged in. Animal jam customer service refused to restore any of her stolen items and offered a token credit. Very, very poor customer service. Further, now that I have been dialed into the game more closely, content is very inappropriate and poorly monitored. AVOID THIS SITE, NOT FOR KIDS!!!!
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written bystevenhamberg July 15, 2013

Son's account hacked

My son's account has been deactivated three times for bad language. He swears it is not him and we believe him. Took a while to get Animal Jam on the phone and one time they flagged him he was eating dinner. Have any other parents had problems with accounts getting hacked and their child blamed? Seems a few did but want to hear more about how this is possible and what one would gain by this? I, too, thought more educational because partnership with NatGeo but after reading your reviews thinking of setting a date and ending his time. Appreciate your help.
Educator and Parent Written byPrincipleAnn October 11, 2011

animaljam on!!!

it is a fun way to talk to other people all over the world and to learn fun facts about the world and it animals while you get to learn how to spend your money and earn money while playing fun age appriote games Animal Jam is wonderfully educationally fun!!! Let your children go on animal jam and have a good time!!!
Parent Written byOleg Raskin December 22, 2012

Be careful with these guys

Be careful with these guys. They included in the Terms automatically renewal of Membership and they charge you every month if even your kid didn’t play this game for a long time. And they decline your request to credit you money back.
Parent of a 13, 14, and 18+ year old Written bySnowy_Leopard799 July 11, 2013

Is Animal Jam even for kids 8-12?!

Animal Jam is not for the little ones, and what's worse is older children tricking the little ones into sending the "scammer" their hard earned item for nothing in return. Animal Jam won't refund your child's membership when their account is terminated, and one account is banned, the Parent account is banned and bans all accounts associated with the Parent account. AJHQ won't even transfer membership, or give a full refund AT ALL. The kids who play Animal Jam are just as bad as AJHQ themselves. Some kids pretend to use drugs such as crack, and meth, write bad words in their den such as the "f" word, and other bad things, then kids pretend to actually assault others with phrases (punches master nn, beach slaps princess nn). Some other children ask for your child's password. My son has a friend who asked him for his password and told him she was going to "protect" his account, and asked for all of his rare items and promised to return his items. Animal Jam can't replace your child's scammed, or hacked items. They tend to ban kids who write bad words instead of persistently scamming people, who really doesn't care what happens to them. AJ is NOT for your child if they've dealed with these issues before.
Adult Written byShizue May 17, 2013

Fun for all ages, but has a bad side

This game is really fun and addictive! However, there are some bad things. 1) Inappropriate stuff This is one big problem. This is pretty much sex, violence, cussing. If you have a young child, they should not be playing without a parent watching because they could join in something bad. Players can bypass the filters and crap isnt even filtered. A lot of the time players will "fight" each other, but its fake. Sex... its just disgusting.. I have been confronted before by "kids" saying the grossest things to me, and Ive seen people "doing it" before. 2) Scamming Its both scamming and phishing. If a kid knows about scams and that they should be careful, its not much of a problem. But a lot of people arent educated about how careful they should be. Sometimes players will trick you into giving them your account by saying stuff like "ill buy you free membership!!!" and etc. Overall, I love this game. But it can be bad sometimes, it depends on who youre playing with.
Parent Written bycooperlove January 5, 2013

Scam

This is a scam. Do not sign up for the membership. They charge you and make it very difficult to turn off your membership. I've contacted the help desk numerous times for over a year and have yet to speak to anyone. On one occasion, I was on hold ten minutes only to be told I was calling out of business hours. I'm still being charged! Save yourself the headache!
Parent Written byThegamereality November 17, 2013

Animal Jam- What is this really?

As an adult I created a free animal jam account to look further on what my daughter was playing. As I logged onto the game it had a large selection of items to choose from and I admit (as a kid) I most likely would have loved this game. There are some problems though. There are scammers on the game that want rare items. The earlier days of Animal Jam were kid friendly and there were no such things as "rares" and "betas", for all the things were in stores and no one would want to scam or hack anyone out of anything. But now on Animal Jam I am constantly having problems with scamming and hacking. Another problem is the somewhat sexual and violent content some jammers put out. Some one was standing in one of the main areas of the site and asked something that bothered me. They asked, "My den if you like me." I went to their den to see what this was all about. There were many female animals there fighting over the male animal. After a while he chose a female animal and asked her to go to her den/house. When I went there to see what they were doing they started saying and doing such inappropriate things. She lied on the ground and he started hopping on her representing sex. They also started saying very inappropriate things such as "Licks Kitty" as referring to "Licks p___y." and here something else. "Pushes in as deep as possible, starts coming." referring to "Pushed d__k in p____y as deep as possible, and starts c____g." All of this is not taken off the screen for inappropriate behavior. I am really wondering about what my child is playing but there is a good side. My child has a friend on here that doesn't ask her for rares or tries scamming her. She also doesn't ask for personal information. But I think that some parents ( and I can sometimes) miss all the good things about this site. Not everyone on here is inappropriate. You can met pretty decent people on here. So overall, this isn't such a bad game, but every game has problems ad this may be one of the few with quite more but fun has its prices.
Adult Written byfauna shy wolf August 12, 2011

The Truth

Yes,other kids do say stuff like that casmfire,but only older kids do and say stuff like that thats why.I know because some guy did that to me before in the game.This is what you and/or your friend should do i also did this to.Push report then aj will monitor him.Push ignore,so you cant see what he writes.And then you leave,thats all to it's me fauna shywolf again.Thats all i wanted to say so...Bye!