Star Wars Age-by-Age Guide
Ever since that first menacing star destroyer loomed across movie screens in 1977, kids of all ages have been enamored with the adventures of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and all their friends (and enemies!). Even kids as young as 2 and 3 can name all the franchise's major characters -- which often tempts parents who also grew up loving the movies to plan a Star Wars movie night, especially with Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker and The Mandalorian at the top of everyone's must-see list.
But not all Star Wars movies, TV shows, games, and apps are the same when it comes to intensity and impact. The silly fun of Lego Star Wars is a lot easier for younger elementary schoolers to handle than the sight of Anakin Skywalker crawling out of a bubbling pit of lava in Revenge of the Sith, for example.
If your family is ready for lightsabers and the Force, here's a quick age guide for enjoying Star Wars with your kids. Keep in mind that all kids are different, so assess your child's ability to handle peril and conflict before you make the jump to hyperspace.
Age 6: Your padawan is ready to begin with the basics; nothing too scary.
Age 7: Training continues: Kids are ready for the first (original trilogy) movie -- plenty of action, but it all works out OK -- and some fun apps.
- Watch: Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope, Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales, Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars, Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures
- Play: Angry Birds: Star Wars, Angry Birds: Star Wars II, Star Wars, Star Wars - Heroes Path
Age 8–9: The original saga concludes, the prequels begin, and the story expands in more new directions. Action and peril get more intense; characters are more conflicted.
- Watch: Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi, Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars: Rebels
- Play: Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, Star Wars Rebels: Recon Missions
- Read: Origami Yoda series, Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi, Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
Age 10–11: Get in on the action: Games and the Internet bridge the gap between the kid-friendly movies and the edgier Revenge of the Sith.
- Play: Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Kinect Star Wars, Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: Force Arena
- Visit: StarWars.com
- Watch: Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens, Star Wars: Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, The Mandalorian, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Spaceballs
Age 12–14: Beware the Dark Side: The final movie of the prequel trilogy is extremely intense.
- Play: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Star Wars: Battlefront, Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series, Star Wars: Commander - Worlds in Conflict, Star Wars: The Old Republic - Knights of the Eternal Throne, Star Wars: Uprising
- Watch: Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Check out our complete list of all things Star Wars.